This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31-Dec-2018 02:43 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
larrymcg

Displaying jAlbum on sites.google.com website
Posted: 30-Dec-2018 22:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Windows 10.

I am sure this has come up before but my searches didn't find anything useful.

I had to move my website to Google's sites.google.com. I can find no way to display a jAlbum there. I've tried hosting the jAlbum on Dropbox but links to it do not work.

Is there a way to get a jAlbum to display on sites.google.com?

• Larry
jGromit

Re: Displaying jAlbum on sites.google.com website
Posted: 30-Dec-2018 22:20   in response to: larrymcg in response to: larrymcg
Correct
Your jAlbum photo album is just a collection of web pages, so the only way to display it is to host it somewhere. AFAIK, sites.google doesn't make that possible - they want you to create your site within their loving embrace. You can insert links to other pages, but that doesn't really fix your problem - the other pages, to wit, your album, would still need to be hosted somewhere else. You can't use Dropbox - that's a service for downloading content, not for serving it up for viewing in a browser.

I can't imagine why you "had to move" your website to sites.google. But if that can't be changed, I think the only alternative is to sign up for additional hosting service somewhere else, as a place to stash your jAlbum stuff. Any plain-vanilla webhost will do - it could be jalbum.net, or one of the numerous bargain shared hosts out there (that's what I use).

Just stay away from any web host that's owned by EIG - those are toxic waste sites. Here's a pretty good list of the places to avoid:

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endurance-international-group-eig-hosting/

And a list of the places worth considering:

https://www.reviewhell.com/
larrymcg

Posted: 31-Dec-2018 02:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the reply, jGromit. I've just been wondering if someone had figured out a way to do it. I got a chuckle from you not being able to imagine why I had to move my website to google! I didn't have to but I'd created two previous versions, mostly by doing the HTML myself based on some templates I'd found. The first implementation was on Comcast.net. The second was on Charter/Spectrum after we moved to Northern California. Of course, neither of these ISPs support personal websites anymore. Rather than pay for hosting, I thought I'd just try out the google facility. Amazingly enough I found it fairly easy to use (lots of experimenting needed) and I got a good looking site. Why argue with that! About the only thing I couldn't get was jAlbum support. The google facility does allow links to my videos on YouTube and to my .jpg, .pdf and .wmv files on Dropbox.

Well, I've rambled too long. Thanks again for your help!

— Larry
jGromit

Posted: 31-Dec-2018 02:35   in response to: larrymcg in response to: larrymcg

Happily, you can get really good hosting these days for pocket change. At my host, if you can keep your stuff under 10GB, you can sneak by for about $4 a month. Incredibly cheap. The more expensive plans usually provide more processing power, but since jAlbum albums are static, you don't need any processing power. Shared hosts really like customers like us. :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums