This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 28-Dec-2018 17:03 Last Post By: wolf-skate Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
i_am_jim

Re: I used the new turtle for the first time this afternoon
Posted: 27-Dec-2018 01:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:

Under Turtle > Images > Behavior, check both Fit images to browser and Shrink only.

Why isn't that the default?

I think the Turtle default image bounds are something like 960x720, which is pretty good. I'd push them a bit further - I usually land on something like 1600x750.

Few people have or use desktop computers anymore.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 02:22   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

i_am_jim wrote:
Why isn't that the default?

Not sure. If it were my skin, I'd have chosen different default settings. But Turtle development is now pretty much at the end of the road.

I don't think that's even close to being true. But if you do think that's true, you're using the wrong skin. The Turtle thumbnail page is completely non-responsive - it's a fixed size, no matter what device the visitor is using. It's a mess on a smartphone.

So what skin should you be using? Well, if you like Turtle, but want to cater to people using mobile devices, Tiger would be the logical choice. But you might want to explore other options - on the skins page, check the box for Responsive layout and take a look at the sample albums for some of them. Maybe it's time for a new "look."
wolf-skate

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 08:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm for one solely desktop user - I give a huit about microscopic screens and their nose in the screen users ( in not too long future kids might be born with watchmaker monocles on one of their eyes?). But till then .. (and I don't even own a smart phone, I want buttons!) I stay w Turtle on one of my large albums as long as it is feasible (in the beginning of Tiger introduction there was some feature not covered (nicely) in Tiger - but by now forgot which one).
Laza

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 09:02   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

in the beginning of Tiger introduction there was some feature not covered (nicely) in Tiger - but by now forgot which one
Might worth checking out later versions, because version 1.0 is usually not feature complete and bug free.
wolf-skate

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 23:04   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hi Laza
Might worth checking out later versions, because version 1.0 is usually not feature complete and bug free
well one issue was in
https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=317361&#317361

so this is fixed - or user being 'shielded' form the effcts? - never bothered go further with Tiger as long as I am happy with a working Turtle (well originally I was convert from DPL as it did not get updates, else I might have stayed there - liked the user/viewer being able to select different color schemes. The styling of DPL I also liked)
Laza

Posted: 28-Dec-2018 11:54   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

Yes, that's fixed quite some time ago. The possibility to change the theme by the visitor was not asked before. In fact I hear it first now.
wolf-skate

Posted: 28-Dec-2018 16:27   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hi Laza
ok good. Well I only did a small test on small album, due to the 'same family' thing of skins = shoudl be 'smooth tranbsition' - and it wasn't (at that time)

anyway
The possibility to change the theme by the visitor was not asked before. In fact I hear it first now.
I was told that this required flash to work (DPL is/was flash based) - and all flash will be gone soon. But if it is possible to get same visitor flexibility as DPL had (i.e. visitor choices on presentation form: color scheme and view (borders/thumbs organization etc)) = fantastic (as DPL author did not pursue this).

Actually still have a small DPL album with 4 different subfolders/albums which each can benefit in presentation from different choice in DPL user view. Will keep it DPL as long as possible (though not tried updating it since JA14 or 15)
jGromit

Posted: 28-Dec-2018 16:48   in response to: wolf-skate in response to: wolf-skate

Attachment ss004976.png (15.1 KB)
wolf-skate wrote:
Will keep it DPL as long as possible (though not tried updating it since JA14 or 15)

Updating it using a newer version of jAlbum wouldn't change anything - the skin hasn't changed. It would produce exactly the same page code as the existing album.

But I suspect that most of the visitors to your album are seeing nothing in their browsers because Flash has been disabled or isn't available at all. You would never know that from your end. Attached is what I'm seeing in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. And on a mobile device, I wouldn't even see that much, since Flash can't be installed on those.

Time to dump all Flash-based albums.
wolf-skate

Posted: 28-Dec-2018 17:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

JGromit wrtote:
But I suspect that most of the visitors to your album are seeing nothing...
mobile devices/smartphones..well don't care about those at all. So more question is support of desktop users (immediate family/friends) have/get flash installed. When that is no more possible - well then forced to change. But for now do not see a similar skin to DPL allowing user invoked view customization
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums