This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Dec-2018 17:03 Last Post By: wolf-skate Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
i_am_jim

I used the new turtle for the first time this afternoon
Posted: 26-Dec-2018 02:03

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I had these issues:

o It would not keep the order I chose. I first sorted by filename (because it would not use the Caption). Then moved about 8 images. It would compile correctly but when I returned to the development environment the order returned to entirely sorted by filename. I finally overcame this by saving the project under a new name.

o It got the wrong image for the for the Thumbnail and Theme. I had a devil of a time correcting it. It showed the correct image in the dropdown, in Settings and on the panel at the right but was using the wrong image.

o I never figured out how to get it to use the captions I typed -- it insisted on using the filename -- so I had to rename every file. My memory is the old version used the captions but I may remember wrong. I also discovered it was keeping duplicate images with the old file names to I had to hunt these down and delete them.

o The compiled Album does not work right. It executes correctly the first time through but then restarts (circles back) part way into the set of images. I am clicking on the picture to go to the next picture, using Firefox.

These problems have cost me about 5 hours. It should have taken one hour and it took 6 to solve the issues and I have given up on last one, the recycling incorrectly.
jGromit

Re: I used the new turtle for the first time this afternoon
Posted: 26-Dec-2018 14:18   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

Sorry you've had such a hard time. Most of the symptoms you're reporting are very hard to understand - I don't think anyone else has ever seen anything quite like them. Tracking them down is going to take some detective work, so please be patient with the process.

Step one is to do a truly clean uninstall/reinstall of jAlbum, just to make sure we're not seeing some weird side effects of a mix of versions. Please follow the steps in this thread - don't skip over any of them, or try to second-guess anything. This should take only a few minutes, and won't cause you to lose anything:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 14:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The next step, I think, is to do a simple test case. Start a new album project, add a handful of images to it, and give it a name. To keep things simple, let's make sure you've got some of the basic settings right:

• You will want to do your previewing with a real browser, so go to Tools, Preferences, General, Preview Mode and choose External browser.
  • To keep the default file ordering easy to keep track of, go to Album > Settings > Pages > Image Ordering and choose Name.
  • To make sure everything is being processed, go to Album > Settings > Advanced > General and check Process subdirectories, Includes subdirectories in index pages, and Use thumbnail for folder icon. Make sure you do not check Process only updated subdirectories or Exclude new images by default.
  • Again, just for the sake of creating a simple case, go to Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata and in the Comment sources box, check only jAlbum (Text file). Below that, for Title source, choose No IPTC.
  • To take care of any unusual file naming, go to Album > Settings > Advanced > Naming, and check URL-encode links.

Now, back in the Explore window, hit F5, just to make sure you're seeing the files in their simple, alphabetical order. Click Filename at upper right, so that you're looking at the file names, and not the comments, titles, etc. Make Album and preview it. So far, so good?
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 14:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Now try changing the ordering. Click and drag one of the thumbnails into the first position. This will also change the Thumbnail and Theme Image on the right. Make Album again, and preview again. In your browser, hit F5 to refresh the cache, so you're sure you're seeing the newest version.

Still good?

Now try choosing one of the other thumbnails and dragging it to the Theme Image box. Does it change? Make Album and preview again.

Still good?
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 14:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment thumbCaptions.png (32.4 KB)
Attachment slideCaptions.png (33.4 KB)
Now let's take care of what I think is probably the easiest problem - what Turtle is using for the captions (in fact, that's pretty much the only thing in all of this that has anything to do with the skin - the other problems you've had all relate to basic jAlbum functions, things that are the same no matter what skin you're using). You should never have to rename files to get this to work - in fact, I wish you hadn't done so, because the file ordering problems may have been related to the original file names.

In any event, I suspect that you were changing the captioning in the wrong place. In the Turtle settings, you can get rid of the display of the file name for the caption on image thumbnails, and/or for the caption on the large slide images. They look very similar. See the attached screenshots.

So, add a few typed-in captions for the images, make the change shown in the slideCaptions screenshot, Make Album, and preview.

Working properly?
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 14:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

If everything has behaved correctly in this little test album, we now know that the problems you have had were related in some way to something unique to your original album project. To figure out what that is, we need to do a little sleuthing. Open that saved project, and make sure it's set to generate the lifeboat file - go to Tools, Preferences, Album and check Include lifeboat file. Now make the album again, upload it again, and give us a link to the album.

I have some hunches, but I'll need to see that lifeboat file to pursue them.
i_am_jim

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 15:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I must apologize, I was not asking for help, I was reporting my experiences in case they meant something to the people here.

The reordering problem was fixed once I did the Save As under a new filename.

I'm not sure why, maybe because I was using the internal browser, but the published version does not try to start over. Now it simply stops at end of the album which is much better because I will be sending this to some people who are not very computer literate and it could have been a problem for them

I appreciated the tip to change to an external browser.

Thanks for the other suggestions but now that I finally have it working I'd rather not change anything.
i_am_jim

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 15:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment lifeboat.zip (5.9 KB)
Oh yes, it did create a Lifeboat file. I'll upload a copy.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 15:45   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

i_am_jim wrote:
The reordering problem was fixed once I did the Save As under a new filename.

That's definitely the most puzzling thing in your post. When you "save" a project, you're just saving the settings - which boxes were checked in the user interface. There's nothing in the saved project file about the order of the files in the album.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 15:52   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

i_am_jim wrote:
Oh yes, it did create a Lifeboat file. I'll upload a copy.

Hmmm... That lifeboat file is missing some of the basic things it should contain. That's just another indication that something about your jAlbum installation is faulty.

I fear that if we don't get to the heart of these problems, you're just going to have more trouble in the future. Please at least try doing a test album and following the steps I've outlined above.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 16:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I did notice one thing in your damaged lifeboat file that's worth mentioning - probably not the cause of your problems, but just for future reference. I would not use any punctuation or special characters in file names, like apostrophe or ampersand. These are reserved characters in HTML. Depending upon your project settings and the skin you're using, it might be OK, or it might not. Better to steer clear of them. Using them in comments or titles is generally not a problem, but in file names, they can be trouble.
i_am_jim

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 20:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Family.jap (8.6 KB)
That lifeboat file is missing some of the basic things it should contain. That's just
another indication that something about your jAlbum installation is faulty.

I had removed the jap file thinking it contained more information than I was willing to post on the web. But, after looking at it again I've changed my mind so I'm attaching it to this post. I have changed the name of the file, but the contents are the same.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 20:31   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

Yes, there's nothing personal in a settings file - pretty generic stuff.

I see a number of settings that I wouldn't choose, for a variety of reasons. But the one that jumps out at me is one that I have strongly suggested David remove from jAlbum. Under Album > Settings > Advanced > Naming, you have chosen Generate web-safe file names. Under some conditions, this can actually generate duplicate names for different files, with catastrophic results in an album. I strongly suggest that you switch to URL-encode links.

Also, your old project was trying to link to hi-res images via scaled images, but hi-res images don't exist any longer. So make sure you choose one of the remaining radio buttons under Album > Settings > Pages before trying to make an album.

The others are more a matter of personal preference. I'd use larger image bounds and smooth scaling instead of medium - I think you'd get better slide images, and not cheat visitors with larger monitors (depending upon your source material, of course). And I'd switch to the comment and title source settings under Album > Settings > Medadata that I've recommended above. That would mean that you would see only the comments and titles that you've entered within jAlbum - pulling in stuff from other metadata can be bewildering because it's often not clear where something came from!
i_am_jim

Posted: 26-Dec-2018 23:53   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

You are probably the most helpful person on any web forum. Thank you.

I made all the changes you suggested.

One final observation:

When I do the preview out of JAlbum the top of the pictures are cut off. This was why I sized the images so small, trying to prevent losing the tops. But, after I put them on the web they display properly. I do the preview in my Firefox browser.

Edited by: i_am_jim on 26-Dec-2018 16:56
jGromit

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 00:06   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim
Helpful
Glad I can help. :)

i_am_jim wrote:
When I do the preview out of JAlbum the top of the pictures are cut off. This was why I sized the images so small, trying to prevent losing the tops. But, after I put them on the web they display properly. I do the preview in my Firefox browser.

Ah, yes, I didn't notice that one before. Under Turtle > Images > Behavior, check both Fit images to browser and Shrink only. That will cause the images to be shown as large as possible, given the size of the browser window, but without trying to make them larger than they really are - pushing images beyond their actual size tends to start making them fuzzy.

I think the Turtle default image bounds are something like 960x720, which is pretty good. I'd push them a bit further - I usually land on something like 1600x750. Provides a good show (especially with more recent digital images), but still doesn't create humongous file sizes.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums