This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 6 Nov 19, 21:20 Last Post By: hartings
uri2510

Jalbum bridge with WP5
Posted: 8 Dec 18, 09:31

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,
does anybody know whether jalbum bridge works with WP5.
After installing the plugin it tells me it is not tested with my Wordpress Version.
Thanks in advance for any help
Ulf
hanso

Re: Jalbum bridge with WP5
Posted: 8 Dec 18, 15:56   in response to: uri2510 in response to: uri2510

It works fine as far as i can see in WP5.0 sites.

The integration of Jalbum Bridge with the new editor of WP 5.0 is missing for now, so you have to fallback to the Classic Editor. Get the plugin for it, so you can switch between the new Block editor or the Classic Editor.

There is a new version coming (soon I hope) with new options for layout.
If and when the new editor will be supported is up to Laza.

I cheat btw to speed things up. I just copy over, in text mode, the html generated once by Jalbum Bridge from an existing page and edit the url of the new jalbum.

The new editor allows the page to be edited in text mode, showing html html (its called Code Editor, available from the dropdown menu at the top right corner) so that is still easy to do.
I did not yet experiment with the new block tags and existing html tags in a page, interesting to see how that works.
hartings

Posted: 4 Nov 19, 21:58   in response to: uri2510 in response to: uri2510

Is there any update on this compatibility question?
Is JAlbum Bridge compatible with WordPress 5.2.4?
This is my main required plugin and I cannot afford to loose this functionality.
Can I upgrade WordPress from 4.9.11 (JAlbum plugin works!) to 5.2.4 (latest WP in Nov 2019)?

Your input is appreciated!
hanso

Posted: 5 Nov 19, 19:14   in response to: hartings in response to: hartings

Yes, the bridge works in WP 5. But for maintenance, the editor integration requires the Classic Editor, the new one is not supported.

If ' main required plugin and I cannot afford to loose this functionality', start worrying. I used the Bridge also, but have now retired it.

No update lately, Last activity: 1 year, 6 months ago, no reaction on questions about the plugin here on the forum.

(Dr. McCoy - He's dead Jim).

And yes, update Wordpress asap to the latest version, WP sites are the main targets for hack attacks. Better make that automatic, you will be hacked sooner or later on older versions. Use something like Wordfence plugin for extra safety.

Edited by: hanso on 05-Nov-2019 19:14

Edited by: hanso on 05-Nov-2019 19:20
hartings

Posted: 5 Nov 19, 19:40   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

Thanks Hanso!

Good to know that it can be used in principle, but based on your reply, it looks like jAlbum (Bridge) is a dead end....

This will force me to look for another solution. Pitty, because I have lots of albums in jAlbum on my WordPress site. I updated hundreds last year, to become compatible with jAlbum Bridge and now this seems all in vain.

I will need to start looking for another overall album platform which is compatible with WordPress :-(
jimberry

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 01:34   in response to: hartings in response to: hartings

hartings wrote:
I will need to start looking for another overall album platform which is compatible with WordPress :-(

I would suggest rather looking for a replacement for WordPress
hartings

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 08:01   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

"I would suggest rather looking for a replacement for WordPress"

Though I understand your comment, WordPress is the #1 website platform. It seems jAlbum has made the decision to not be compatible.
But, to be open, which platform is compatible with jAlbum and integrates similarly? Any good examples to check the results, incl how to do it?
jimberry

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 12:01   in response to: hartings in response to: hartings

hartings wrote:

...... It seems jAlbum has made the decision to not be compatible.
No, WordPress has made the decision to be exclusive ;)

But, to be open, which platform is compatible with jAlbum and integrates similarly? Any good examples to check the results, incl how to do it?
WordPad, NotePad. Learn how to create your own website, or put up with WordPress's incompatibility problems.
hartings

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 13:24   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Sorry, but now I am lost....

jAlbum niche is to be simple, providing good quality, be flexible (many options) and be a long term partner (that is at least what I understand....). I have used it for more than 10 years an I like those focus areas.
To force people into writing detailed code in a very basic word processor software, in order to continue to use jAlbum, does absolutely make no sense at all. This could only imply a loss of market share for jAlbum.
Instead, to align jAlbum with WordPress does make much more sense from a market and customer point of view, as both software providers are aiming for similar customer segments and needs. This would mean a win-win situation and thus potentially increased market share. In the end, I think jAlbum does not want to focus on customers/users who can and like to write basic programming code to use their albums made with jAlbum. This would not be a good way to meet the future.
That just my 5 cents.
For jAlbum, I hope the team has done their market investigations, as I certainly hope and would prefer to continue to use it!

/Ralf
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 14:19   in response to: hartings in response to: hartings

Full disclosure: I have never used Wordpress. I don't know what the user interface looks like.

But having said that, is it somehow very difficult to create a page in Wordpress that says, "Hey, everyone, I just took a wonderful trip to Tanzania. We left on Oct. 1, flew to....," etc., and then has a photo which is a link to your jAlbum-created photo gallery? Is Wordpress not able to do that simply?
bper

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 14:42   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I have been following this post and am getting back into jAlbum after 6 years of changing to a WordPress site and using NextGen gallery free software. The other day, I decided to upgrade to the NextGEN Pro software and found out it is subscription based, costing $79 a year, so have went back to my jAlbum and cancelled NextGEN.

After uploading my old jAlbum to my server, I just did a basic WordPress page with a link at the bottom to my jAlbum and it works fine that way. I plan to phase out the NextGen galleries and put up jAlbum's instead. I don't really need a plugin for that, just link each gallery on the WordPress page like any other external link. Hope this information helps others - bper

PS - I like jAlbum because it is a one time purchase, not subscription based. I hope it stays that way. At $79 a year, it adds up in a hurry :-(
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 14:55   in response to: bper in response to: bper

bper wrote:
PS - I like jAlbum because it is a one time purchase, not subscription based.

Actually, it's both. You can pay once for a license, and use that version (including updates for one year) pretty much forever. If you want the features in a newer version of jAlbum, or want to update the skin you're using to a skin version that requires a newer version of jAlbum, you would need to renew your license for another year.

Some people want a new car every few years, so they can get all the latest features. I'm like that with software, but I'm driving a 12-year-old Forester and a 13-year-old Z4. ;)
hartings

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 19:17   in response to: bper in response to: bper

Hi
Basically, providing a link to a jAlbum album is what the jAlbum Bridge plugin for WordPress does. But it does something more. It provides a preview on the WordPress page of the different albums you have somewhere else, so you can easier decide which album you want to see. This is really cute and adds value. You then have a clean WordPress site and all albums are separated from the Wordpress files. This makes it easy to maintain and structure both WordPress and jAlbum albums. Really good!
The Nextgen plugin can show pictures, but doesn't have the large range of designs and options as jAlbum. It also integrates the pictures within WordPress, thus making WordPress installation big and more difficult to maintain and do backups. And it is prescription based....
So the jAlbum Bridge plugin is really good and makes jAlbum even more attractive!
Please continue to maintain jAlbum Bridge!!

FYI, I tested to upgrade to WordPress 5.2.4 and the jAlbums albums still work with the provided preview on the WordPress page!

Edited by: hartings on 06-Nov-2019 19:19

Edited by: hartings on 06-Nov-2019 21:18
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums