Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.



Permlink Replies: 24 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 30-Oct-2018 12:12 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Posts: 3,385
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 15:48
Here's the 1:st release candidate of jAlbum 17. I started a new thread for this release candidate as we've adopted jAlbum 17 for Java 11 and repackaged installers for Windows, Mac and Linux to run on Java 11 now. This change just might break things as Java 11 has had some stuff reworked and removed so please test. It at least passes my tests here.

  • Now runs on Open Java 11 on all platforms. Earlier, the Mac version was using Oracle's Java 8 and Windows version using Java 9. With Java 11, Oracle's Java is under a commercial license. We therefore moved to the open source "Open JDK 11", which should be working as well by now.
  • Completely rewritten review mode featuring thumbnail navigation, image zooming and multiple image comparison (1-6 images)
  • Better integration with Review mode and Explorer and Edit mode
  • Way faster and better behaving zoom control installed in both Edit and Review mode
  • Reads EXIF metadata from video files as well (MP4 and MOV)
  • Fixed Location editor (updated to newer Google Map APIs
  • Explore mode adjusted for lower CPU usage = better performance
  • All versions has reduced footprint due to removal of unneeded Java code
  • Updated bundled Tiger, Zigzag and Minimal skins
  • Has new "Disable color subsampling" option under Settings->Images->Advanced. Will produce even better looking JPEGs when checked. Currently only applies to images with compression quality >= 90. Disabling chroma/color subsampling increases file size about 17% but doubles the horizontal and vertical color resolution of images. See this article.
  • Various bug fixes
Remember to issue a "Make all" after toggling the "Disable color subsampling" switch to have images reprocessed. To only have thumbnails without color subsampling, tick "Disable color subsampling" AND high quality thumbnails.

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Linux (deb): http://jalbum.net/download/jalbum_17-1_amd64.deb
Linux (rpm): http://jalbum.net/download/jalbum-17-1.x86_64.rpm
Other: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

Please let me know if this release candidate breaks anything. There are especially adjustments to the Mac version for Java 11 compatibility.
jGromit

Posts: 7,653
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 16:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I'm running it against my scripts that build all my skin demo albums, which is a pretty good test of the processing side of things (as opposed to the UI changes). So far, so good.

Getting a warning in console mode - it doesn't hurt anything, but probably needs to be addressed somewhere along the line.
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by se.datadosen.jalbum.Config (file:/C:/Program%20Files/jAlbum/lib/jalbum-core.jar)
to method sun.swing.SwingUtilities2.checkAccess(int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of se.datadosen.jalbum.Config
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
jGromit

Posts: 7,653
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 16:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Another little oddity, but I think I've seen this before jAlbum 17. If an album project doesn't have a folder thumbnail selected at all, the album will build without problems from within the application, but if you try to build it from the command line, it fails:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error processing C:\Users\jefft\Documents\jAlbum Skins\Matrix\Matrix Samples\MAthumbstrip
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2378)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.getVars(AlbumObjectImpl.java:2388)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbumForFolder(AlbumBean.java:1433)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:2769)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:2680)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumConsole.<init>(JAlbumConsole.java:95)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:316)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: null representing file for C:\Users\jefft\Documents\jAlbum Skins\Matrix\Matrix Samples\MAthumbstrip
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.addImageLinks(AlbumBean.java:1808)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2346)
        ... 11 more
Simply selecting a folder thumbnail cures it instantly.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,385
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 16:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I'm running it against my scripts that build all my skin demo albums, which is a pretty good test of the processing side of things (as opposed to the UI changes). So far, so good.

Getting a warning in console mode - it doesn't hurt anything, but probably needs to be addressed somewhere along the line.

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by se.datadosen.jalbum.Config (file:/C:/Program%20Files/jAlbum/lib/jalbum-core.jar)
to method sun.swing.SwingUtilities2.checkAccess(int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of se.datadosen.jalbum.Config
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Yes, that warning relates to the use of the Darcula look&feel. Still waiting for it to be ported to Java 11. See jAlbum's launcher scripts (cmd and sh) for how to suppress those warnings when running in console mode.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,385
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 16:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Another little oddity, but I think I've seen this before jAlbum 17. If an album project doesn't have a folder thumbnail selected at all, the album will build without problems from within the application, but if you try to build it from the command line, it fails:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error processing C:\Users\jefft\Documents\jAlbum Skins\Matrix\Matrix Samples\MAthumbstrip
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2378)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.getVars(AlbumObjectImpl.java:2388)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbumForFolder(AlbumBean.java:1433)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:2769)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:2680)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumConsole.<init>(JAlbumConsole.java:95)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:316)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: null representing file for C:\Users\jefft\Documents\jAlbum Skins\Matrix\Matrix Samples\MAthumbstrip
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.addImageLinks(AlbumBean.java:1808)
        at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2346)
        ... 11 more
Simply selecting a folder thumbnail cures it instantly.

Thanks for reporting.

Edited by: jGromit, to note that this has been corrected in the jAlbum 17 final release. :)
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,635
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 18:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
All my Wikipedia web location pages are destroyed in this version. If I Open the Edit menu, I see no Target URL and Image URL field.

The console shows this:

java.io.IOException: No reader found for I:\Pictures\jAlbum_test+help\FB_Examples\TestVideos_FB\.jalbum\cache\nl.wikipedia.org-430.jpg
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.doLoadImage(FileFilters.java:715)
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.loadImage(FileFilters.java:596)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.loadImage(AlbumObjectImpl.java:498)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache.load(ImageCache.java:143)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache.getImage(ImageCache.java:133)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache$1.run(ImageCache.java:80)

I can repair it by fetching the page again from interenet.
jGromit

Posts: 7,653
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 19:33   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
I just tried making an album with jAlbum 16.2 that includes a Wikipedia web location, then opening it in jAlbum 17rc1. No error.
MarkusD

Posts: 514
Registered: 13-Apr-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 19:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I can confirm that, no errors with web locations in jAlbum 17rc1.
mrag

Posts: 347
Registered: 26-Jul-2003
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 20:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
So anyone wanting to use the zip version of jA17 will need Java 11 or will they be able to stay with Java 8? I'm assuming Java 11 is not bundled with the zip version.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,385
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:25   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
All my Wikipedia web location pages are destroyed in this version. If I Open the Edit menu, I see no Target URL and Image URL field.

The console shows this:

java.io.IOException: No reader found for I:\Pictures\jAlbum_test+help\FB_Examples\TestVideos_FB\.jalbum\cache\nl.wikipedia.org-430.jpg
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.doLoadImage(FileFilters.java:715)
at se.datadosen.util.FileFilters.loadImage(FileFilters.java:596)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.loadImage(AlbumObjectImpl.java:498)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache.load(ImageCache.java:143)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache.getImage(ImageCache.java:133)
at se.datadosen.explorer.ImageCache$1.run(ImageCache.java:80)

I can repair it by fetching the page again from interenet.


Please attach the file I:\Pictures\jAlbum_test+help\FB_Examples\TestVideos_FB\.jalbum\cache\nl.wikipedia.org-430.jpg so I can reproduce the problem
jGromit

Posts: 7,653
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
David, see the Admin Corner thread about Projector for a console error in 17rc1.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,385
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:36   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
So anyone wanting to use the zip version of jA17 will need Java 11 or will they be able to stay with Java 8? I'm assuming Java 11 is not bundled with the zip version.

jAlbum should still run on Java 8, although I will need to make a minor adjustment for it to run on Mac's Java 8. No Java is bundled with the zipped version as all Java releases are platform specific.
jGromit

Posts: 7,653
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jAlbum should still run on Java 8....

But if any skin has a UI that's compiled with source/binary of Java 11, that skin won't load. I don't think any current skin falls into that category, however.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,635
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Please attach the file I:\Pictures\jAlbum_test+help\FB_Examples\TestVideos_FB\.jalbum\cache\nl.wikipedia.org-430.jpg so I can reproduce the problem
I can't give you the original file of the FncyBox album because I deleted the old weblocation and added it as new from Internet.
But I see the same problem in the corresponding PhotoSwipe album, that file is attached.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 25-Oct-2018 21:50
RobM

Posts: 3,207
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: jAlbum 17 release candidate for testing
Posted: 25-Oct-2018 21:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • Reads EXIF metadata from video files as well (MP4 and MOV)
To prevent any misunderstanding the release notes should exclude support for GPS data in video files.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums