This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Oct-2018 16:09 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MrPitBull

Will jAlbum create and serve a different image per screen width?
Posted: 19-Oct-2018 23:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Does jAlbum create different size images and serve select images based upon screen size? I understand that WordPress has since version 4.4 incorporated this feature.
jGromit

Re: Will jAlbum create and serve a different image per screen width?
Posted: 19-Oct-2018 23:18   in response to: MrPitBull in response to: MrPitBull

jAlbum can handle only three images - an original, a scaled slide image, and a thumbnail. And there's no skin that will handle multiple image versions in the way you're describing.

But these days, why would anyone need that capability? Choose a responsive skin that adapts the image display to the size of the monitor, and feed it image bounds that are large enough to guarantee a good show on a large monitor. A laptop gets the same bandwidth, so there's no penalty there. Increasingly, the bandwidth available to mobile devices, even phones on a cell network, is sufficient to accept fairly large slide images without any difficulty.
MrPitBull

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 23:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit, thank you for your response. You have always been very helpful. I understand that web speed with 4G and the like is helping.

Still, page load speed is a big factor in SEO. Read just about any SEO site on how to serve images, and there is agreement that "size does matter". For this reason google recommends using the srcset attribute and serving different size images.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 23:42   in response to: MrPitBull in response to: MrPitBull

This too, shall pass. Having a good web host has a lot more to do with page loading speed than image sizes. And of course, your main page is loading thumbnails, not big slide images.

The history is pretty clear - all of the "this matters to SEO" stuff is pretty quickly outdated. People scramble to make Google happy, only to have the rug pulled out from under them mere months later.

Providing good content ends up being the only "SEO trick" that works.
MrPitBull

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 23:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
The history is pretty clear - all of the "this matters to SEO" stuff is pretty quickly outdated. People scramble to make Google happy, only to have the rug pulled out from under them mere months later.

LOL... Been there many times.

Still, for the foreseeable future page load times mean a lot.

AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Oct-2018 11:48   in response to: MrPitBull in response to: MrPitBull

MrPitBull wrote:
Does jAlbum create different size images and serve select images based upon screen size? I understand that WordPress has since version 4.4 incorporated this feature.
I did ask this already 2,5 years ago, see this thread, but it was rejected!

It is not only required to make the loading times smaller, but also to reduce the Mb costs.
MarkusD

Posted: 20-Oct-2018 13:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
MrPitBull wrote:
I did ask this already 2,5 years ago, see this thread, but it was rejected!

It is not only required to make the loading times smaller, but also to reduce the Mb costs.

Germany is not known for fast and cheap internet connections, but paying your telecommunication company on a per megabyte-basis is long time history. Who cares for download costs these days? Or are you talking about your costs for mobile internet connections? Then yes, you have to pay that on a per gigabyte basis.

But I still think that watching pictures, not to say videos, on a mobile device, lets say, makes no fun at all. On a device with a screen size 5-10 inch? No, thanks. If I had a chance to block users with devices smaller than 15" (*) watching my site, I would like to block them out. ;-)

(*) I know the possibilities of "@media screen", maybe I'll find out how to not show my pictures on small screens. ;-)
MrPitBull

Posted: 20-Oct-2018 13:33   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I suppose that the average user of jAlbum must not be concerned with SEO. I understand that someone who makes an album and sends a link to Grandma and Grandpa, cares little about how Google views things. For these folks, you can't beat jAlbum.

Yet for those who want to present images on their site and at the same time find favor with Google; load times are very important still. At least as of July 9th 2018 when Google released this article to webmasters: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2018/01/using-page-speed-in-mobile-search.html

Personally, because jAlbum is not SEO friendly, I quit using it on my site and built my image galleries by hand. Of course, I would much rather have an automated process. I am currently getting ready to rebuild my galleries again and was checking here to see if jAlbum supported the most recent image SEO guidelines that google endorses.

I would hope that the Developers here, would read and employ the latest techniques that are in this article https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/design-and-ux/responsive/images#images-in-markup
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Oct-2018 16:09   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
Or are you talking about your costs for mobile internet connections? Then yes, you have to pay that on a per gigabyte basis.
Yes of course!
But I still think that watching pictures, not to say videos, on a mobile device, lets say, makes no fun at all.
That depends on the used skin.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums