Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 112 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] - Last Post: 25-Oct-2018 15:52 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: jAlbum 17 beta for testing
Posted: 21-Oct-2018 21:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
There is no Opt key on a Windows keyboard.

ETA: I can't figure out how to do it, either. Once you've made a "bad" selection, you seem to be stuck with it. It doesn't seem to be saved in any file in the program or config directories.

ETAETA: Old stuff that I'd forgotten about. Hold down the ALT key, right-click on a thumbnail, then left-click on Set external editor (it won't highlight the selection - just click on it anyway).

I always think of Alt and Opt regardless of which OS uses which and I just got lazy. The keyboard shortcuts help page though has both listed and covers this usage case :)

Edited by: RobM on 21-Oct-2018 21:03
And of course ‘Set external editor’ on https://jalbum.net/help/en/jAlbum/Explore#Contextual_menus
jGromit

Posted: 21-Oct-2018 22:06   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I think that if jAlbum were really friendly, it would have a special popup page next to this menu choice that had a diagram of the keyboard I'm using at the moment, with helpful arrows and blinking lights to show me which keys to use. And then it should determine which external editor I use most often (by looking at the logs on the computer), and tell me where the executable is located on my hard drive.

The failure of jAlbum to do this is obviously a crippling bug, and I'm going to keep demanding that it be fixed, every time there's a new release.

(But I really am curious about where jAlbum is retaining this information. I think I found it once, but it escapes me now.)
RobM

Posted: 21-Oct-2018 23:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attachment OpenWithLots.png (28.6 KB)
jGromit wrote:
I think that if jAlbum were really friendly, it would have a special popup page next to this menu choice that had a diagram of the keyboard I'm using at the moment, with helpful arrows and blinking lights to show me which keys to use. And then it should determine which external editor I use most often (by looking at the logs on the computer), and tell me where the executable is located on my hard drive.
Or you could just copy the extension to your user area and change the name from 'OpenWith.jaext' to 'OpenWithSummitElse.jaext'. See attached for what you can confuse yourself with!
The failure of jAlbum to do this is obviously a crippling bug, and I'm going to keep demanding that it be fixed, every time there's a new release.
Hear, hear. But why wait for new releases, organise a march on headquarters!
(But I really am curious about where jAlbum is retaining this information. I think I found it once, but it escapes me now.)
It is well hidden wherever it is, maybe within the plugin itself?
mrag

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 00:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Kudos to El Gromit. The "Alt key" seems to be a workable solution. I was now able to associate the Irfanview exe with OpenWith and praise be to above, it worked albeit not as smoothly as one might want, others please try adding an editor and provide feedback.Can it be improved upon?

It still now (funnily?) reads "set external editor" even though Irfanview has already been chosen, but i could use it as an editor for photos in an album. I don't envy Rob having to clarify and explain how in jAlbum's Wiki, but I I admit that I sort of look forward to his future exchanges with Andre. To be candid, while OpenWith is a minor tweak within jAlbum, but it doesn't seem to be incorporated as smoothly as one might hope.

Meanwhile, anyone able to see the meteor shower coming from Orion? Hey, Gromit's entire skin repository is based on celestial events, let's give support where support is due ;-)
RobM

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 01:06   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
It still now (funnily?) reads "set external editor" even though Irfanview has already been chosen, but i could use it as an editor for photos in an album.
That was changed in 16.2 around the end of August this year, it used to read ‘Open with’.
I don't envy Rob having to clarify and explain how in jAlbum's Wiki, but I I admit that I sort of look forward to his future exchanges with Andre.
You’ll have a long wait.
To be candid, while OpenWith is a minor tweak within jAlbum, but it doesn't seem to be incorporated as smoothly as one might hope.
Maybe easier is to right click and select ‘Show in file system’ then you can select whatever app takes your fancy ;)
Meanwhile, anyone able to see the meteor shower coming from Orion? Hey, Gromit's entire skin repository is based on celestial events, let's give support where support is due ;-)
Just at midnight, so now is a good time to look (always best after midnight) - but with a nearly full Moon and clouds rolling in from the north west I’m not expecting much.
jimberry

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 03:00   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Going for broke here, but any chance of eventually getting an 'arrow' added into the Effects panel? see ja-3
http://jalbum.net/forum/message.jspa?messageID=273748#273748
jimberry

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 03:57   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Here is an example of using text arrows in "Effects>Text" to accomplish something like what you are after without having to install any special symbol fonts.

You can copy&paste any of these arrows

or see https://fsymbols.com/keyboard/windows/alt-codes/laptop/ for a guide to alt code symbols on windows laptop!

Edited by: jimberry on 22-Oct-2018 10:05
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 05:05   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
mrag wrote:
Just downloaded jA 17b3 to an empty Windows 8.1 laptop.

On original start there are a number of "Notifications" including one "Read about jAlbum 15 improvements." 15? Most of these appear to disappear after the initial run, but perhaps worth a look. see ja-2

Thanks for noting. Now disabled.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 05:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Ok guys, v17b4 is out. Please don't ask me why I'm up coding between 4 and 5 AM :-)

Changes:
  • Re-added navigation buttons and exit button (all but play button). Visible only when in single image mode though
  • Added buttons to return to single-image mode when viewing multiple images
  • Tweaked behavior when adding/deleting images from selection so panels are reused if possible (better usability)

I hope with this that the new Review mode is solid enough to be released..
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 15:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
v17b5 is now out, and I've updated the installers too for simplicity. This is hopefully the final version. Apart from smaller usability improvements, this version loads all images in the background, so no locking of the UI anymore. I've tested with some pretty nasty RAW images, and it behaves just fine. There is now a progress spinner showing when background loading is working.

Unless I've broken anything existing, I plan to release this version tomorrow.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 17:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Updated http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar to b6 now:
  • Added file names to lower left corner of each image
  • Review mode now always opens on same screen as jAlbum operates on
MarkusD

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 17:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Perfect!

You might change the news to: "Added file names to lower left corner of each image in Review Mode" to make clear where to expect that change.
RobM

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 18:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Is it worth adding a help button to link to https://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Review ?
It would mean forcing the review mode to be exited though.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 18:46   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Perfect!

You might change the news to: "Added file names to lower left corner of each image in Review Mode" to make clear where to expect that change.

Good. I updated the notes.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 18:47   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Is it worth adding a help button to link to https://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Review ?
It would mean forcing the review mode to be exited though.

True. Don't want to disrupt the visuals right now with a blue ? button, but I've added F1 to open your new Review mode help page. Many thanks for maintaining it!

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums