Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 112 - Pages: 8 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 25-Oct-2018 15:52 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum 17 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Oct-2018 00:08
Working on jAlbum 17 here and here's the 1:st beta. Yes, I actually bumped the version from the planned 16.3 to 17 as the Review mode has been completely rewritten too, see the follow-up post to this one

• Completely rewritten review mode featuring thumbnail navigation, image zooming and multiple image comparison (1-6 images)
  • Better integration with Review mode and Explorer and Edit mode
  • Way faster and better behaving zoom control installed in both Edit and Review mode
  • Reads EXIF metadata from video files as well (MP4 and MOV)
  • Fixed Location editor (updated to newer Google Map APIs
  • Now runs on Java 10. This applies to both Mac and Windows. Earlier, the Mac version was using Java 8 and Windows version using Java 9
  • Explore mode adjusted for lower CPU usage = better performance
  • Mac version has reduced footprint due to removal of unneeded Java code
  • Updated bundled Tiger, Zigzag and Minimal skins
  • Has new "Disable color subsampling" option under Settings->Images->Advanced. Will produce even better looking JPEGs when checked. Currently only applies to images with compression quality >= 90. Disabling chroma/color subsampling increases file size about 17% but doubles the horizontal and vertical color resolution of images. See this article.
  • Various bug fixes
Remember to issue a "Make all" after toggling the "Disable color subsampling" switch to have images reprocessed. To only have thumbnails without color subsampling, tick "Disable color subsampling" AND high quality thumbnails.

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Other: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

Please let me know if this beta breaks anything. There are especially adjustments to the Mac version for Java 10 compatibility.
davidekholm

Re: jAlbum 17 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Oct-2018 00:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Rewritten Review mode

jAlbum 17 comes with a completely rewritten review mode. It now features thumbnail navigation, image zooming and multiple image comparison (1-8 images):
  • You can enter Review mode from either Explore or Edit mode. Select multiple images in Explore mode to have those compared side-by-side.
  • When exiting to Explore mode (esc) the currently selected images in Review mode will be selected in Explore mode too
  • Features auto-collapsing thumbnail panel. Move mouse to bottom of screen to pop it up
  • Use CTRL/SHIFT clicking to select multiple images for comparison
  • Navigate with arrow keys.
  • Use SHIFT+arrow keys to extend selection and compare neighbor images
  • Right click a closeup image or left-click a thumbnail to return to view-single-image mode
  • Double click to zoom in fully on image. Double click again to zoom out. Zooming will be focused on mouse pointer
  • Zoom with scroll wheel
  • Use keys 0-5 to rate the currently selected images
  • Use key - (minus) to toggle exclude on selected images
  • Use image specific buttons to rate, delete, toggle exclude, flag and mark as folder thumbnail
  • Rating, flagging and excluding images can now be undone in groups
  • Added file names to lower left corner of each image
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 00:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
jGromit wrote:
Tried the download twice, and the news isn't good. See screenshot.

Thanks for reporting. Now fixed. My last Mac update had messed with some file attributes which caused the signing to fail and that delivers that ugly message.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 00:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Yes, that's more like it.

(You keep tinkering with these threads, and I'll remove you from the "moderators" group, and you'll have to take it up with Anders. ;) )
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 00:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

(You keep tinkering with these threads, and I'll remove you from the "moderators" group, and you'll have to take it up with Anders. ;) )

I'm trembling already ;-). Just didn't want to de-motivate newcomers to the thread with such an early bug report which is now fixed.
RobM

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 01:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:

I'm trembling already ;-). Just didn't want to de-motivate newcomers to the thread with such an early bug report which is now fixed.

Sorry, but caused by making a star rating on an empty image holder, see attached image
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.jalbum.review.JCloseupPanel.lambda$init$1(JCloseupPanel.java:219)
	at se.datadosen.component.JRatingSlider.fireStateChanged(JRatingSlider.java:89)
	at se.datadosen.component.JRatingSlider$1.mouseReleased(JRatingSlider.java:118)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
jGromit

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 01:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Um, what's an "empty image holder?"
RobM

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 01:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Um, what's an "empty image holder?"
Preview five images, you get them in two rows of three cells, the sixth cell has no image but has the active icons that operate, even though there is no image to operate on.
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 09:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
The set crop focus zooming problem has not been solved in this version!
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 09:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
You nicely solved the location problem in the previous version!
Well done: you even repaired the saving problem if I close jAlbum after changing the location!

The only thing which not work: I can enter a place in the search box, but nothing happens if I click on the Enter key.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Oct-2018 09:30

Unfortunately, it is still not correctly working on my Windows 10 computer:

If I move the cursor to a new location and next do a Make, the new location is not reported correctly in the album. The album shows the old location instead of the new location, see enclosed screen shots.
It does not help if I do a Save project, before the Make: I still see only the old location in the album.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Oct-2018 09:37

If I enter the location of a movie by double clicking in the location window, I see the marker on the selected place.
However if I next move to the next image and come later back to the movie, the location is no longer visible.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Oct-2018 09:45

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Oct-2018 09:50

BTW The help file says:
A prerequisite of using location, or indeed any, metadata in your album is to have Settings/Advanced/Metadata/Include metadata in generated pages turned on.

But as you can see in MyMetaData screenshot, there does not exist a check-mark 'Include metadata in generated pages'.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 19-Oct-2018 10:06
jGromit

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 14:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Rewritten Review mode

More than I can ever hope to remember. I hope RobM is already working on the wiki, because we're going to need it!
RobM

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 14:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Rewritten Review mode

More than I can ever hope to remember. I hope RobM is already working on the wiki, because we're going to need it!

The older version is already there, but hidden, so I just need to do a rewrite, new images etc. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 17:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
v17b2 now out (via http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar )
Fixes:
  • Now hides visual controls over empty panel (no nullpointer exception)
  • The visibility on glass panels is now global and not panel-specific
  • Review mode now respects any filter set in Explore view.
MarkusD

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 20:06   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Please let me know if this beta breaks anything.
Try to rename a file in Explore-Mode and hit the space key, you'll find your self in Review-Mode. ;-)
RobM

Posted: 19-Oct-2018 21:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
There is a bit of inconsistent behaviour with keyboard shortcuts in this review mode.
With one image keyboard shortcuts 0-5, F and T work as before.

With two images keyboard shortcuts 0-5 works on both images while F and T work only on the right image - but the folder thumbnail image of the left image does not get turned off if the right image is selected, you need to escape and then review again to see it has been turned off.

With more than two images or more (up to 9, not 8) 0-5 works on all images while F and T do not work at all.

I'm guessing the intention was to disable all of those keyboard shortcuts.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums