This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13-Oct-2018 21:14 Last Post By: markosphoto Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
markosphoto

HiDPI images and Link to originals
Posted: 12-Oct-2018 23:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,
I would like to use HiDPI images on my site. In my case, I generate the images of a specific size from my raw converter, so I directly get the correct image size that I use on the site, I.e. 1080x1080. Therefore on the Pages tab I use “Link to originals” and thus I do not have the option of image bounds on the Images tab. jAlbum does not need to scale the images and I get the desired image size and quality.

What I would like to do is to have images generated at a size of 2160x2160, keep “Link to originals” but limiting the image bounds to 1080x1080 in order to achieve HiDPI images. How do I achieve that with jAlbum?
/Markos
RobM

Re: HiDPI images and Link to originals
Posted: 13-Oct-2018 00:03   in response to: markosphoto in response to: markosphoto

markosphoto wrote:
Hi,
I would like to use HiDPI images on my site. In my case, I generate the images of a specific size from my raw converter, so I directly get the correct image size that I use on the site, I.e. 1080x1080. Therefore on the Pages tab I use “Link to originals” and thus I do not have the option of image bounds on the Images tab. jAlbum does not need to scale the images and I get the desired image size and quality.

What I would like to do is to have images generated at a size of 2160x2160, keep “Link to originals” but limiting the image bounds to 1080x1080 in order to achieve HiDPI images. How do I achieve that with jAlbum?
/Markos

Set your raw converter to give images of 2160x2160 and then on settings/pages select link to scaled-down images only. In settings/images select the image bounds of 1080x1080 and check HiDPI images. I think that should give you want you want.
markosphoto

Posted: 13-Oct-2018 00:36   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks Rob, I will give it a try :-) I hope that jAlbum will not touch the generated images and understand to just copy them instead of generating new 2160x2160 images.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Oct-2018 09:03   in response to: markosphoto in response to: markosphoto

markosphoto wrote:
Thanks Rob, I will give it a try :-) I hope that jAlbum will not touch the generated images and understand to just copy them instead of generating new 2160x2160 images.

It should be clever enough to avoid re-generating images if you simply ensure that the image bounds is larger than the size of your originals. To be safe, set image bounds manually to 8000x8000 for instance (settings->images->Image bounds). With this setting you may actually have the "Image linking" option set to "Link to scaled images" and still avoid reprocessing.
markosphoto

Posted: 13-Oct-2018 19:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment tiger.jpeg (325.5 KB)
Attachment images.jpeg (214.0 KB)
Attachment pages.jpeg (205.3 KB)
Thanks for the replies! It does not seem to work in my case though, as I am using Tiger and the main image in the Lightbox does not seem to be contained within the image bound specified in the Images tab. It seems to always display in a size that fits the browser window, up to original size, in my case 2160x2160. It is this image that I wanted contained to 1080x1080, but disobeying images of 2160x2160.I have tested with both HiDPI checked and unchecked.
/Markos
RobM

Posted: 13-Oct-2018 20:14   in response to: markosphoto in response to: markosphoto

markosphoto wrote:
Thanks for the replies! It does not seem to work in my case though, as I am using Tiger and the main image in the Lightbox does not seem to be contained within the image bound specified in the Images tab. It seems to always display in a size that fits the browser window, up to original size, in my case 2160x2160. It is this image that I wanted contained to 1080x1080, but disobeying images of 2160x2160.I have tested with both HiDPI checked and unchecked.
/Markos
Maybe you should post a question in the Tiger forum as I thought this problem was fixed, see this post for details of how HiDPI images should work - as they did in Turtle.
markosphoto

Posted: 13-Oct-2018 21:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

That you Rob for the information! :-) Have now posted the question in the relevant post you referred to.
/Markos

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums