Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 135 - Pages: 10 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Oct-2018 00:38 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Re: jAlbum 16.3 beta for testing
Posted: 20-Sep-2018 09:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
This bug is also in this new version still not repaired!
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:32   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
This bug is also in this new version still not repaired!

I understand your frustration, but please direct it to the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library instead. The reason it worked before was because I had made a modified branch of that library, but it turned out to cause trouble when the library progressed so I decided to go with the official metadata-extractor library instead. As soon as the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library provides a way to specify the default encoding, I'll update jAlbum to make use of that feature.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
As soon as the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library provides a way to specify the default encoding, I'll update jAlbum to make use of that feature.
You can fix it now already by inserting -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 in the jalbum.ini file.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:40   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Here is another error with the internal browser which is not fixed in this version.
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:40   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
As soon as the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library provides a way to specify the default encoding, I'll update jAlbum to make use of that feature.
You can fix it now already by inserting -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 in the jalbum.ini file.

I remember having tried that and it caused other unwanted side-effects. Global changes have side effects, that's why the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library needs to allow a way to specify the default encoding.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I remember having tried that and it caused other unwanted side-effects
Please specify what the side-effect is, because I use this already a year without problems!
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:44   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I remember having tried that and it caused other unwanted side-effects
Please specify what the side-effect is, because I use this already a year without problems!

I don't remember exactly. I believe it was relating to the file chooser. Listen: If there are no side effects, why isn't it the default setting in Java like it is on Mac?
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:45   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
Here is another error with the internal browser which is not fixed in this version.

Well, have you reported that issue to Oracle? It's likely a case of a missing root certificate.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Listen: If there are no side effects, why isn't it the default setting in Java like it is on Mac?
I have no idea what you like to say with that statemenent: I have no Mac!
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Well, have you reported that issue to Oracle?
No, I have no idea how to do that and I am not important enough that they will listen to me!
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 11:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
And here is another problem which is not solved in this version: multiple include images not working in Windows 10.
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 12:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
And another bug which has not been repaired: Undo for filenames.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 20-Sep-2018 15:12
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 12:13   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Listen: If there are no side effects, why isn't it the default setting in Java like it is on Mac?
I have no idea what you like to say with that statemenent: I have no Mac!

I'm simply saying that UTF-8 is the default file encoding on Mac, and we're not changing it. Likewise, Windows has a default file encoding of Cp1252, and we're not going to change it just because it happened to work on your computer. Global parameters are very prone to cause side effects. Therefore please bring up this request with the maintainers of the metadata-extractor library!
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 12:16   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Well, have you reported that issue to Oracle?
No, I have no idea how to do that and I am not important enough that they will listen to me!

Come on, you're a clever guy, aren't you?: https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/

With that defensive attitude, very few bugs would be fixed in this world. They may be a large corporation, but they also want Java to work. Just report it or admit that you rather have me spend my time doing it.

This said, I've added code to a new beta (b3) to make it simply accept any certificate so it should work with your site now. Please don't use jAlbum's embedded browser for your bank transactions now ;-)
AndreWolff

Posted: 20-Sep-2018 12:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Come on, you're a clever guy, aren't you?:
I can't give an objective answer to that question!
admit that you rather have me spend my time doing it.
You understand me and you have much more authority!

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums