Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 135 - Pages: 10 [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Oct-2018 00:38 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

jAlbum 16.3 beta for testing
Posted: 12-Sep-2018 13:53
Working on jAlbum 16.3 here and here's the 1:st beta. Expect some more features to be added. So far this has been changed:

• Now runs on Java 10. This applies to both Mac and Windows. Earlier, the Mac version was using Java 8 and Windows version using Java 9
  • Mac version has reduced footprint due to removal of unneeded Java code
  • Updated bundled Tiger skin
  • Has new "Disable color subsampling" option under Settings->Images->Advanced. Will produce even better looking JPEGs when checked. Currently only applies to images with compression quality >= 90. Disabling chroma/color subsampling increases file size about 17% but doubles the horizontal and vertical color resolution of images. See this article.

Remember to issue a "Make all" after toggling the "Disable color subsampling" switch to have images reprocessed. To only have thumbnails without color subsampling, tick "Disable color subsampling" AND high quality thumbnails.

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Other: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

Please let me know if this beta breaks anything. There are especially adjustments to the Mac version for Java 10 compatibility.
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 16.3 beta for testing
Posted: 12-Sep-2018 14:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Immediate problem on macOS 10.13.6. Launch jAlbum, Minimal skin, click Add to select images:
24 [File chooser thread] WARN com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop - Failed to load Objective-C library. Cocoa stubs may malfunction
Exception in thread "File chooser thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.runInAppKitThread(Ljava/lang/Runnable;Z)V
	at com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.runInAppKitThread(Native Method)
	at com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.invokeAndWait(SourceFile:42)
	at com.jniwrapper.macosx.cocoa.AwtMacMessageLoop.<init>(SourceFile:23)
	at com.jniwrapper.macosx.cocoa.AwtMacMessageLoop.getInstance(SourceFile:34)
	at se.datadosen.component.mac.FileChooserImpl.showDialog(FileChooserImpl.java:279)
	at se.datadosen.component.mac.FileChooserImpl.showDialog(FileChooserImpl.java:273)
	at se.datadosen.explorer.JAlbumExplorer$2$1.run(JAlbumExplorer.java:356)
Exception in thread "File chooser thread" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.runInAppKitThread(Ljava/lang/Runnable;Z)V
	at com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.runInAppKitThread(Native Method)
	at com.teamdev.jxdesktop.macosx.MainMessageLoop.invokeAndWait(SourceFile:42)
	at com.jniwrapper.macosx.cocoa.AwtMacMessageLoop.<init>(SourceFile:23)
	at com.jniwrapper.macosx.cocoa.AwtMacMessageLoop.getInstance(SourceFile:34)
	at se.datadosen.component.mac.FileChooserImpl.showDialog(FileChooserImpl.java:279)
	at se.datadosen.component.mac.FileChooserImpl.showDialog(FileChooserImpl.java:273)
	at se.datadosen.explorer.JAlbumExplorer$2$1.run(JAlbumExplorer.java:356)
ETA: Drag-and-drop is OK, and file choosers within the skin settings work OK. No problems in Win10.
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Sep-2018 15:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Thanks for reporting. I have to forward that one to TeamDev
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Sep-2018 17:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
TeamDev's code doesn't support Java 10 and they so far don't tell when/if they will support it so I've moved to using the classic file dialog. The downside is that folders can't be selected (like with the Windows file dialog). To add folders, you need to drag and drop them.

The reason for moving to Java 10 is that Oracle has announced that they will charge companies for bundling Java 8 with software after January 2019.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Sep-2018 18:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
The reason for moving to Java 10 is that Oracle has announced that they will charge companies for bundling Java 8 with software after January 2019.

Ouch. Strong motivation, and right around the corner.
RobM

Posted: 12-Sep-2018 18:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Just to be clear, this will mean that existing previous versions of jAlbum will no longer be available for download from this site, correct?
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 01:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
A slightly off-topic question, but if a skin requires Java 10, how should that be specified in the skin.properties file and on the skin page? Java 8 was indicated by 1.8, but that scheme has clearly been changed.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 08:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Just to be clear, this will mean that existing previous versions of jAlbum will no longer be available for download from this site, correct?

I assume that's an unfortunate side effect :-( I guess from Oracle's point of view this is not about greed but to push users to use current versions so they avoid a maintenance hell.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 08:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
A slightly off-topic question, but if a skin requires Java 10, how should that be specified in the skin.properties file and on the skin page? Java 8 was indicated by 1.8, but that scheme has clearly been changed.

I think it should simply say "10" now, but I don't see any reason for requiring Java 10's source/binary format in the foreseeable future.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 12:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I've updated the Mac version again. I'm now using another glue library to interface with OS X native file dialog (NSOpenPanel). The reasons for "going native" again is that I prefer to allow selection of both files AND folders. Now drag and drop works again too :-)

Let me know if anything else has blown up ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 14:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I think it should simply say "10" now, but I don't see any reason for requiring Java 10's source/binary format in the foreseeable future.

It's true that a skin would be unlikely to be using a Java 10 feature, but if a skin is using something that's available only in, say, jAlbum 17, and jAlbum 17 runs on Java 10, then there's no reason for the skin to use the Java 8 source/binary any longer. Might as well just use Java 10 for everything in that case.
RobM

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 21:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've updated the Mac version again. I'm now using another glue library to interface with OS X native file dialog (NSOpenPanel). The reasons for "going native" again is that I prefer to allow selection of both files AND folders. Now drag and drop works again too :-)

It seems to be working fine, tried several skins/projects/external tools and not had any issues.

Is there any particular thing that should be tried by users of various systems or is general use likely to be enough?
RobM

Posted: 13-Sep-2018 22:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Working on jAlbum 16.3 here and here's the 1:st beta. Expect some more features to be added. So far this has been changed:
  • Has new "Disable color subsampling" option under Settings->Images->Advanced. Will produce even better looking JPEGs when checked. Currently only applies to images with compression quality >= 90. Disabling chroma/color subsampling increases file size about 17% but doubles the horizontal and vertical color resolution of images. See this article.
When the disable chroma subsampling has been checked and then I switch back to Images/General settings and move the jpeg quality setting up to 95% I still get the yellow warning triangle 'This causes excess file size without any significant quality improvement.' Shouldn't that warning be turned off?
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2018 11:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

It's true that a skin would be unlikely to be using a Java 10 feature, but if a skin is using something that's available only in, say, jAlbum 17, and jAlbum 17 runs on Java 10, then there's no reason for the skin to use the Java 8 source/binary any longer. Might as well just use Java 10 for everything in that case.

Sure.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Sep-2018 11:45   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

It seems to be working fine, tried several skins/projects/external tools and not had any issues.

Is there any particular thing that should be tried by users of various systems or is general use likely to be enough?

General use/testing is enough. I've removed some deprecated APIs and it's hard to know what skins are eventually using them (they've been deprecated for several years, so it's unlikely that thinks break)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums