This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Sep-2018 19:43 Last Post By: jGromit
PeteFros

looking for a skin that serves pics well to cell phones
Posted: 30-Jul-2018 01:00

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm a long time user of jAlbum but as of several years ago have pretty much stopped using it because I can't find a skin that serves pics well on cell phones.

I was just checking again today and haven't come up with anything that works very well.

Have a missed something?

As there any skin c/w certain settings that serve pics well on cell phones?

I sure hope there is.

Thanks in advance,
Peter
jGromit

Re: looking for a skin that serves pics well to cell phones
Posted: 30-Jul-2018 07:03   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

This kind of question always give rise to the same counter-questions. What do you mean by "works well?" What characteristics of the existing responsive skins don't do the trick for you? Are you looking for wall-to-wall images, even if that means cropping them? Are you looking for particularly swipe animations?

I should add that many of us, even those of us who develop responsive skins, feel that photos never look good on any phone. The display is just too small, and there's no magical way to fix that.
RobM

Posted: 30-Jul-2018 09:36   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

PeteFros wrote:
Have a missed something?

Have you checked ‘Responisive layout’ when looking at the browse skin page ?
AndreWolff

Posted: 30-Jul-2018 10:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
PeteFros wrote:
Have a missed something?

Have you checked ‘Responisive layout’ when looking at the browse skin page ?
For smart phones you should also check ‘Touch interface support’.
PeteFros

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 15:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

My question was pretty general, I agree.

I notice that most mainstream websites sense whether or not you are on a mobile device and serve the content accordingly. I would think this would be a needed ingredient in serving pics as best as possible on a cell phone. Is there a skin that has this capability?
jGromit

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 17:03   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

Still too vague to permit an intelligent response. All of the skins tagged as being "responsive" adjust the album display to the size of the viewport. In some cases, they also alter things like navigation, turning off image tapping in favor of image swiping, for example.

You'll just have to search the skin list for responsive skins (check the box), and try the sample albums to see which ones do what you want.
MarkusD

Posted: 09-Aug-2018 19:12   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

PeteFros wrote:
I would think this would be a needed ingredient in serving pics as best as possible on a cell phone.
What confuses me is your wording "cell phone". If I'm right your are from the US. According to this info a cell phone is definitely not a smart phone. Do you really try to watch pictures on a cell phone? I agree with jGromit that even watching photos on smart phone is kind of "sub optimal".

In former times people in Germany use the word "Handy" (which sounds very much like an English word to us Germans) describing what the rest of the world called a cell phone. But with smart phones coming up we use "Handy" to describe the old "dumb" cell phones. And the new smart phones, well, for the smarter, more "intelligent" phones. ;-)

Just my thoughts about the wording "cell phone".
PeteFros

Posted: 12-Aug-2018 16:53   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

I'm from Canada, actually.

Using your definitions, I should be using the term 'smart phone'.

Peter
PeteFros

Re: looking for a skin that serves pics well to smart phones
Posted: 04-Sep-2018 19:21   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

I've been spending quite a bit of time trying to come up with a skin and associated settings to work well on smart phones.

So far, I haven't come close to what I'm looking for. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the jalbum world. It certainly appears so.

I want to that thank those who have responded so far. I tried the 'responsive' skins and played with settings . . . a lot, with no satifactory results.

One of the methods I used was to go to the skin developer sites with my smart phone and try out their album samples. For example, I previewed the Tiger sample album on my smart phone. If this is the best jalbum can do when serving pics to a smart phone I'm going to have to try some other method.

Ultimately, I want the album to automatically sense that it on a mobile device and then open up natively in full screen mode with a view of all the thumbnails and then when I click on a thumbnail, the picture comes up in full screen mode with the ability to swipe left and right through the pics until I hit the smart phone back button at which time it switches back to the thumbnails and then if the back button is hit again, it exits the album.

Of course if the album doesn't sense that it's serving to a mobile device then it serves up the album in normal mode.

Is this not possible with jalbum?

Anybody have any ideas?
jGromit

Re: looking for a skin that serves pics well to smart phones
Posted: 04-Sep-2018 19:38   in response to: PeteFros in response to: PeteFros

Conceptually, I think you're missing one esssential piece of the puzzle, here. To show thumbnails and images "natively" requires an actual app, an executable written for the phone's operating system. jAlbum produces web pages, so how they appear on a phone is limited to what the phone's browsers can do, and the pages have to work properly on all phone browsers, or at least on the standards-compliant ones. Automatically going fullscreen, for example, is usually prohibited in browsers, to prevent various forms of spoofing.

ETA: And remember that going "fullscreen" with an image requires either arbitrary cropping or a distortion of the aspect ratio. It's like trying to show a Cinemascope movie on a standard TV. Since most jAlbum users are very concerned with the appearance of their images, most skins simply won't do that. At best, they'll show the image as large as they can, but without cropping or distortion.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums