This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Jul-2018 15:30 Last Post By: wspollack Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
wspollack

Saturn: AdBlock Plus, Some Quirks, Some Questions
Posted: 19-Jul-2018 21:08

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've been doing some experimenting with Saturn, and I appreciate your implementing it. Fits my needs, and for the most part I like the way it works.

Some observations:

1) Adblock Plus vs. Navigation Icons

If Adblock Plus (https://adblockplus.org/en/) is installed as a browser add-on (in my case, to Firefox 61.0.1 64-bit), and is, by default, active on a page, it will eliminate Saturn's navigation icons.

If you click on the Adblock Plus icon, and instead change "Enabled on this site" to "Disabled on this site," Saturn's navigation icons will appear (after the album in question is Refreshed in the browser).

I built a two-image test album to isolate this: http://www.billanddot.com/Saturn-Test/

Note that this behavior is the case whether SVG or PNG is chosen for the icons.

Adblock Plus has a mechanism to report unwanted behavior, but I'd like to know if you have any thoughts on this before I get around to that.

2) Image Counter

When the image counter -- e.g., "Image 1 of 2" -- is implemented, is it purposely omitted from small-screen devices? If so, have you considered an option to let the counter be displayed? I think the resolution on today's small screens can handle it okay.

3) Thumbnail Focus

In small screen mode, if your finger touches the current (large) image being displayed just a little bit below the navigation arrow -- instead of the intended arrow -- the image will close and the collection of thumbnails will be displayed.

This may be acceptable for albums with a few images, but when you're dealing with a gallery of a hundred or more thumbnails, you may now be left at the initial thumbnail display (if you have been clicking your way from large image to the next); however, the most recent large image displayed -- before your errant touch -- may be, say, image 50 of 100. You now have to find that image among the many thumbnails, in order to resume moving from one large image to the next.

Would it be feasible to have the thumbnail display automatically scrolled, such that when the collection of thumbnails is displayed, the thumbnail at the top of the small screen corresponds to the most recently viewed large image?

If this is not feasible, do you have some other suggestion to be able to resume viewing the main images at the point at which you left off?

4) Some Strange Pauses, and 404

Every once in a while, when viewing a large collection on my phone, the gallery seems to freeze. The next image is not displayed, nor is the circular "waiting" overlay displayed. Fixing this seems to require pressing the Refresh icon in Safari (on an iPhone).

I haven't encountered this problem on a desktop computer with a browser, so it may be issue with wi-fi, or who knows what. Has anyone else reported this?

Also, sometimes viewing my large first Saturn gallery on the phone, I received some 404 (not found) errors when clicking through the slides; see attached screen grab. When this happened, simply refreshing the page in mobile Safari remedied the problem, i.e., no album change was made.

Again, this may be a wi-fi or phone provider (Verizon) issue, as I've not encountered the problem when viewing on an ethernet-connected desktop. Almost invariably this happens when the circular "waiting" IS displayed.

Note that during the first day of testing, a week or so ago, I purchased a Floatbox license, and entered that information in Saturn's settings.

Speaking of which, do requests for each slide go through some server that hosts Floatbox code (the way the use of jAlbum widgets -- which I don't use, by the way -- go through jAlbum's server, if I'm not mistaken)?

5) Clicks Not Buffered

When viewing the gallery on the phone or desktop, if the right arrow is touched or click just as a slide is loading, it is ignored. That is, if the user is too quick, an arrow has to be pressed again (once the slide has completely, or at least more fully, loaded). On a phone, touching the slide's arrow is visible, i.e., you can see a square encapsulating the arrow; thus, the touch is recognized, at least on the level of the OS.

I'm a little surprised at that, and wonder whether this lack of buffering is intentional, an oversight, or something that is just the nature of the beast.

That's it for now. Thanks for your time here and in developing Saturn, and for any comments.

Cheers,

Bill P.

jGromit

Re: Saturn: AdBlock Plus, Some Quirks, Some Questions
Posted: 19-Jul-2018 21:38   in response to: wspollack in response to: wspollack

wspollack wrote:
If Adblock Plus ... is installed as a browser add-on ..., and is... active on a page, it will eliminate Saturn's navigation icons.

I can't replicate this. I have AdBlock Plus active in Firefox, and I've never seen it block the navigation icons.

When the image counter -- e.g., "Image 1 of 2" -- is implemented, is it purposely omitted from small-screen devices? If so, have you considered an option to let the counter be displayed? I think the resolution on today's small screens can handle it okay.

That's the default of the Floatbox script. I could change that, but I agree with that decision. On a small screen, one should sacrifice as much of the other material as possible, in favor of the images. Remember the images, you know, the things you're trying to show people? It's not a question of resolution - it's a simple question of screen real estate, and how you want to use it. Text is particularly greedy for space, since it can't (or at least shouldn't) be made smaller on a small display - it ends up chewing up an increasing percentage of the available display space, the smaller the display gets.

In small screen mode, if your finger touches the current (large) image being displayed just a little bit below the navigation arrow -- instead of the intended arrow -- the image will close and the collection of thumbnails will be displayed.

Make the icons larger.

Would it be feasible to have the thumbnail display automatically scrolled, such that when the collection of thumbnails is displayed, the thumbnail at the top of the small screen corresponds to the most recently viewed large image?

The Floatbox script doesn't have that feature. It's not open source, and I can't modify it.

Every once in a while, when viewing a large collection on my phone, the gallery seems to freeze.

I've seen similar glitches if you get ahead of the script. The Floatbox script is large, and truly taxes the low-rent processors on most mobile devices. It's just trying to do too many things. Personally, I'd strip out a lot of it, and shoot for a leaner script, but that's not my call.

Also, sometimes viewing my large first Saturn gallery on the phone, I received some 404 (not found) errors when clicking through the slides....

I've never gotten an unexplained 404, so I have no idea what could be causing that. It sounds like a server issue.

Speaking of which, do requests for each slide go through some server that hosts Floatbox code... ?

No. All it does is check for a valid license at random times.

When viewing the gallery on the phone or desktop, if the right arrow is touched or click just as a slide is loading, it is ignored.

See my remark about Floatbox being "heavy," above. It's a monster. You can easily beat it to the punch. Ditto for swiping.
wspollack

Posted: 20-Jul-2018 03:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

1) Adblock Plus:

I made a short video demonstration of the effect of that add-on's being enabled or disabled, vis-a-vis the navigation buttons in the lower-right corner of a slide, using my test gallery http://www.billanddot.com/Saturn-Test/:

https://vimeo.com/280834653

The environment:

Saturn 7.0.0
Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit)
Adblock Plus 3.2
All other Firefox add-ons disabled
MacOS 10.13.6

2) Image Counter

I took a screen grab of a slide on my iPhone6.

The original was the default iPhone size of 3264 x 2448, and I had the Image Bounds in jAlbum set to 1500 x 1500. So the image in question, in the uploaded gallery, is actually 1500 × 1125 pixels. In other words, what I think is not an unusual situation.

I've modified that screen grab such that, similar to viewing the image in a desktop browser, the counter is included.

I've attached both images here, and you can see that adding the counter doesn't affect the screen area that the actual picture occupies. I hope these pics make clear what I meant, because I probably didn't express my request well. If adding the counter in small screen is still a dumb idea, so be it.

3) Thank you for your time, your clarifications, and your comments in general.

Cheers,

Bill P.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Jul-2018 05:51   in response to: wspollack in response to: wspollack
Helpful
Attachment WithoutCounter.jpg (666.8 KB)
Attachment WithCounter.jpg (656.6 KB)
Strange movie. See mine:

https://jgromit.jalbum.net/SatTest.mp4

Same environment, right down to the version numbers. I don't have a clue about what's happening on your machine.

Re: the image counter, see the attached pair of screenshots from Chrome for Android on an S7. This is typically what happens.

ETA: Re AdBlock, check the advanced options and see which lists you're subscribed to. There's probably an overly-aggressive one at work. Try sticking to just EasyList and see what happens.
wspollack

Posted: 20-Jul-2018 15:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

On the Adblock Plus Advanced screen, I had the following turned on (and don't recall playing with them, so maybe they were the default):

EasyPrivacy
Fanboy's Social Blocking List
EasyList

Going through the permutations, it turns out that if I unchecked Fanboy's Social Blocking List the navigation icons appeared properly. So that takes care of that. I'll leave it unchecked.

On the image counter front, I hadn't considered the effect with captions and suchlike (which I don't use). OTOH, the size of the actual image hasn't decreased, judging by your two phone shots, i.e., just some more of the unused space taken up by the under-image info. But I see that there are repercussions that I hadn't thought about.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Bill P.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums