This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16-Jul-2018 23:13 Last Post By: rfm2 Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
rfm2

Neptune feature request
Posted: 15-Jul-2018 22:55

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm hesitant to request another feature after the addition of the transition duration option (which works great) created a stir by exposing a long-standing problem on my website, but, hey, nothing asked, nothing gained.

When you reach the last image in an album and click the right (advance) side of the image, would it be possible to have it return to the index page (a la Matrix)?

When you hover on the X (close) icon on the image, would it be possible to have a tag appear for "Index Page". I know that 95% of the viewers would know that the "X" is the close icon, but the 5% might not know that it doesn't close the album but returns to the index page (even though I so state in the top info code that appears on the index page)?

Thanks.
jGromit

Re: Neptune feature request
Posted: 15-Jul-2018 23:18   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
When you reach the last image in an album and click the right (advance) side of the image, would it be possible to have it return to the index page (a la Matrix)?

I don't think so, but I'll look around a bit. The Floatbox script doesn't know anything about an "index page," and makes no provision for doing anything special at the end of a gallery. It can loop, so that on the last image hitting "next" takes you back to the first image, but there doesn't seem to be any provision for closing, instead.

When you hover on the X (close) icon on the image, would it be possible to have a tag appear for "Index Page".

Yeah, I got lazy on that one, and didn't include any text strings for the tooltips on the slide navigation. I figured the meanings were mostly self-evident. Not tough to add them for the next release.
rfm2

Posted: 15-Jul-2018 23:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure most viewers would quickly realize that when clicking the right side does nothing, they have reached the end of the album. The tooltip on the "X" icon and my top info code on the index page noting how to get back to the index page should be sufficient.

Thanks.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jul-2018 23:42   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

No promises, however. I'm trying to avoid loading up my newer skins with options that end up making them unmaintainable.

An object lesson: I wanted to improve the phone behavior of Gromit, and started to wade into it. But I quickly found that Gromit was so overloaded with options, I couldn't untangle all of it to do what I wanted to do.

I didn't want to start stripping things out of Gromit, so instead I started working on a new skin. Index page with a choice between Gromit-like fixed-shape thumbnails or a Neptune-like justified gallery. Slide pages like Gromit (no lightbox), but better-behaved on small displays. No need for licensing anything, since it's all either open-source or home brew.

But to make that possible, I ditched all kinds of other stuff - thumbstrips, metadata, maps, breadcrumbs, external links, elaborate borders, box-shadows, side-mounted captions, etc., etc.

In short, I'm not eager to paint myself into yet another "options corner," where things have gotten out of hand.
rfm2

Posted: 16-Jul-2018 03:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The problem I have is that having used Matrix, with its almost limitless options, for so long for so many albums, every time I look at one of your other skins I start thinking "if I could just have Matrix feature x, and y, and z on this skin it sure would be nice". And, as you observed, where does it stop? Well, I am sufficiently drawn to Neptune as is that I will curb my urge to ask for x and y (well, maybe z). I'm sure there will be more than enough feature additions just from your own initiative to more than satisfy my need or desire.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2018 06:04   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

In this case, I think tooltips on widely-understood website navigation icons are probably overkill. Everyone knows what the "prev/next/play/pause" icons mean without any further prompting. And I see the "X" icon all over the place, and it always serves the same function - it closes a modal display and returns you to the underlying page. There might be one visitor who's helped by the tooltip, but only one time. Once he or she sees what the "X" does, he or she never needs the assistance again. But now, the page has unnecessary extra stuff on it, and the skin has more code to maintain.

I suspect some features are things that album creators love, but site visitors couldn't care less about. Unless you're posting on a website dedicated to photographic technique, for example, no one cares about the EXIF material. And in the digital age, that information is probably less useful than it once was.

Maps are a problem. Google is doing some nasty things to users of its maps API, like demanding that you have a credit card on file, and charging you when your site generates more than a certain number of map visits. I'm not sure how all of that is going to shake out, but it may end up being a little-used album feature, and ultimately not worth the effort of building it in.

When it comes to navigation options, I've seen too many sites that end up looking like link farms, with Wonkavator Navigation™ - you can get directly from anywhere, to anywhere. My guess is that most visitors just find that bewildering - they don't know how they got to something, don't know how to get back, and can never find the same thing again. And the images (you remember the pictures, right? ;) ) tend to be overwhelmed by all the other stuff on the page.

Thumbstrips - do people really need a page of thumbnails and a thumbstrip on the slides? And on a phone, they're useless - just a series of tiny colored boxes that aren't helping anything, but are taking up precious real estate.

Website fashion changes, too. Border radii and box-shadows were all the rage, but now tend to make a page look old-fashioned (though I still like shadows on at least some things - they give some depth to an otherwise flat display). Ditto for extensive border and frame options - look around the web today, and most images have no adornment on them at all.

Just waxing philosophical in my old age....
rfm2

Posted: 16-Jul-2018 22:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Gee, I think you must have stayed up too late last night when you wrote that "waxing philosophical" essay. 06:04 this morning (I presume messages are posted in Sweden time) must have been around midnight your time. But I agree with the "simpler is better' philosophy. That's why my Matrix albums have so little decoration.

Now for a simple Neptune question. I use the option on the L/R/X nav buttons to only show the X. But when I look at the album on my quite old mobile device in Safari, all 3 show. Is that by design to hint to the mobile users to use swipe?
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2018 22:59   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
Now for a simple Neptune question. I use the option on the L/R/X nav buttons to only show the X. But when I look at the album on my quite old mobile device in Safari, all 3 show. Is that by design to hint to the mobile users to use swipe?

Not as simple as it would appear. You can choose to show only the "X," but only if you also enable on-image navigation, where mouse-hovering reveals the prev/next arrows on the image. But on a mobile, there's no such thing as "mouse hover." So, if only the "X" is showing, there's no way to navigate other than swiping. And if the swipe script is a little balky, as it is inclined to be, that would leave the visitor without any alternative.

The other thing to consider is that the album might include videos. If so, swiping doesn't work - the video player intercepts your inputs. So, without the prev/next arrows in the caption area, there would be absolutely no way to get to the next item.

In short, leaving the visitor with only swiping to navigate would be risky.
rfm2

Posted: 16-Jul-2018 23:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the usual quick, thorough answer. I try to check album operation on my very small mobile device, especially with this first Neptune album, but it's pretty hard for me to tell which touch features work and which don't. My conclusion is that conventional or mobile users should have no trouble navigating through a Neptune album, so I plan to keep using it on some, if not all, future albums.

Thanks for the skin.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums