That's automatic. If the visitor uses a swipe, the transition is a slide, rather than a cross-fade.
ETA: There's really no problem with a Neptune album on any platform. The transitions are smooth (assuming a reasonably current machine), and they're exactly what I expect them to be. There's something unusual about rfm2's album, and he and I need to figure out what it is. I have some suspicions, but no one else is going to be able to confirm those.
Sorry to be so slow getting back to continued testing. First, I reinstalled the neptune.jaskin file so that it doesn't have my modified hand pointing cursor. Changed the setting to 200ms, did a Make Album, uploaded the Neptune-Test-2 album, ran it with Chrome, and it still has the distortion. Then ran index.html from the local album that was just uploaded, and the transition in Chrome is smooth, as was your test album. Sure hope that helps your detective work, because it's a puzzle to me.
Another data point to add to the mystery. I have another test album out there http://rmeri.com/Neptune-Test-1 that was made with the copy of Neptune before replacing with neptune.jaskin (therefore has the default 600ms, and has my modified hand pointing cursor). With Chrome it has the same distortion, though it's not as obvious since Test-1 has only animals and objects. When I run it locally with Chrome it is smooth, as Test-2 is.
One thing you can probably check yourself. In cPanel, look for an icon labeled Optimize Website, and click it. It should show you whether file compression is enabled or not. If it is, disable it, and see what happens.
That's surprising, because the browser console is showing that all the JS, HTML, and CSS files are being compressed with gzip. On my host, none of them is compressed.
But I'm just grasping at straws, here. The jalbum.net server is also gzipping these files, and there's no problem with an album viewed from there.
Leave the Neptune-Test-2 album up there, without doing any further experiments with it. I want to pass this along to the Floatbox guy to find out if he's ever seen this before. It might ring a bell with him.
ETA: Please put Neptune-Test-2 back to 600ms. For purposes of demo, I want to keep your album and mine as identical as possible. Thanks.
The host was not helpful. It took forever to get them to understand the problem, but I finally got them to see the distortion using Chrome. They said they "made some changes" to the website, and claimed they then were able to see the same response in Chrome and Firefox. Not so for me, still the same with Chrome, always clearing cache and reloading the album before viewing. They now insist the problem is not on the server side, "but if the web developer makes some changes on the server side", let them know and they will make the changes. I have no idea how I can make changes on the server side.
I restored the Neptune-Test-2 to 600ms and re-posted it.
The good news is that it's now working properly for me in Chrome. You might have to do some deeper cache cleaning. In Chrome, from the "hamburger" menu, choose More tools, Clear browsing data, Cached images and files.
I'd love to know what the problem was, and how they fixed it. The response headers look exactly like they did before, so I'm in the dark.
Well I'll be darned. Completely smooth now. The Test-2 (with Neptune 5), and both the Test-1 and full album (both with Neptune 4 and my modified hand pointing cursor) are exactly the same as Firefox. I didn't save the chat dialog, but I think the support guy said something like "the a asp was loading slow", whatever that means. I'm going to be really brave now and re-make Test-2 with the transition time of 200ms. If you hear me scream....
At 200ms on Test-2 album, all 5 browsers, both devices, completely smooth. I'm not sure that what I remember about his "fix" is very accurate, but I do remember wondering what the "a asp" was that he "fixed".
Thanks a bunch for staying with me on this weird journey, and thanks to those who chimed in with their tests. jAlbum support - priceless.
In response to your wishing you knew what the problem was, I went to the host to see if I could find a copy of the chat session. As soon as I connected to the host this message appeared:
"Reply from Sergio
Hello, I removed the .htaccess rule that was created to disable the caching, and it does look like the transitions are happening correctly in Chrome.
I wouldn't recommend leaving those rules active in the .htaccess unless you really want to disable caching, which should be pretty rare because caching is an important part of website optimizations.
Please try again now and let me know if this is working the way you would expect it to work."
Over a year ago when I was doing some testing where as soon as I tried something, I wanted to see what it did on the website, but there was always a delay before the new info appeared. When I asked if they could speed up access to the newly posted info, that's when they created the .htaccess rule. I had long forgotten about that, and never had the rule removed when I was through testing. Oh well, all's well that ends well, but sure sorry my long ago request caused such a stir with Chrome and Edge.