This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 15 Jun 18, 12:55 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John-Simpson

Windows 10 Photo Data
Posted: 11 Jun 18, 17:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Photo- Data.JPG (207.6 KB)
Having finally ditched XP and now been on Windows 10 for a year and a bit, I have been annotating my photos using the built-in DETAIL PANE, instead of Microsoft Pro Photo Tools which is no longer supported.

The fields SUBJECT and COMMENTS do not come through to the GUI of JAlbum although they are picked up on the JALBUM METADATA List. See screenshot attached.

Is there some way in which this data can be put into COMMENTS without backward incompatibility with existing IPTC metadata? The solution if possible should not be skin specific, although I now just use GROMIT for all my albums. I don't want a bespoke solution, because it all goes wrong when Nr Gromit gets eaten by a bear.

At the moment I am having to retype comments or copy and paste them.

At a guess, this is Microsoft's fault for doing it their way.
JeffTucker

Re: Windows 10 Photo Data
Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:03   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
One of my longstanding feature requests (now over 7 years old), which would cure this problem. In short, you could tell jAlbum to use any metadata field that it can see as the comment or title source.

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=37837
John-Simpson

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Seems like a good idea.

I don't know whether you've noticed, that the TITLE entered into WIN10 gets duplicated and appears in the WIN 10 SUBJECT field!!! This can be deleted in WIN10 and retyped with something different. Also, weirdly, the TITLE in WIN10 gets duplicated into JALBUM COMMENTS.

All the other fields behave as they should.

RATING
CREATOR
KEYWORDS

Oh to have standardised Photo Data!
davidekholm

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:47   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

Please attach that sample image!
JeffTucker

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 18:59   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:
I don't know whether you've noticed, that the TITLE entered into WIN10 gets duplicated and appears in the WIN 10 SUBJECT field!!! This can be deleted in WIN10 and retyped with something different. Also, weirdly, the TITLE in WIN10 gets duplicated into JALBUM COMMENTS.

Yes, I've stumbled into that somewhere along the line, and quickly abandoned using the Windows metadata routines - it's very difficult to tell what it's planting, and where.

Oh to have standardised Photo Data!

Maybe xmp will take over the world. I should live so long.
John-Simpson

Posted: 11 Jun 18, 19:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment IMG_3307.JPG (2.1 MB)
Actual Photo is attached to this reply. Nothing special. Best thing is to use Windows 10 with your own images and see what I mean!

Open a folder of images and select the VIEW tab and highlight DETAILS PANE.

You can then select one thumbnail and enter TITLE, SUBJECT, COMMENTS, RATING, CREATOR and Tags etc.

Or you can apply the same information to several photos at once.

Press enter!
davidekholm

Posted: 12 Jun 18, 05:40   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
Upon investigating your sample image, I can see that you'd really like to see the comment "Fishing Boat crossing the harbour." within jAlbum and not the title duplicated into the comment field. By default jAlbum reads comments from the "xmp description" field. It seems like this field has got the same text as the title.

I don't know what software has stuffed the title into the xmp description field too, but a good way to clean up this mess could be to remove the erroneous xmp description from your images. jAlbum will then automatically use a fallback and pick the XP comment if you have "EXIF image desc." checked as "comment source".

I've updated the "MetadataCopier" extension to jAlbum (attached here) so it also handles removing xmp metadata - comments for instance. Drop it onto jAlbum to install, then reopen jAlbum and select the erroneous image and right click and select Comment->Remove.

If this works satisfactory, then you can select multiple images and perform this operation.
John-Simpson

Posted: 12 Jun 18, 12:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Upon investigating your sample image, I can see that you'd really like to see the comment "Fishing Boat crossing the harbour." within jAlbum and not the title duplicated into the comment field. By default jAlbum reads comments from the "xmp description" field. It seems like this field has got the same text as the title.
Would simply unclicking xmp from comment sources work or does that mess it up for other things?

I don't know what software has stuffed the title into the xmp description field too, but a good way to clean up this mess could be to remove the erroneous xmp description from your images. jAlbum will then automatically use a fallback and pick the XP comment if you have "EXIF image desc." checked as "comment source".
No additional software used. This is built into Windows 10 File Explorer. If youhave a JAlbum running in your office on a Windows 10 computer, then the best way is to try it.

I've updated the "MetadataCopier" extension to jAlbum (attached here) so it also handles removing xmp metadata - comments for instance. Drop it onto jAlbum to install, then reopen jAlbum and select the erroneous image and right click and select Comment->Remove.

If this works satisfactory, then you can select multiple images and perform this operation.

I've not had the chance to try it, but it is another process to do, albeit I think quite simple
davidekholm

Posted: 12 Jun 18, 13:59   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:

Would simply unclicking xmp from comment sources work or does that mess it up for other things?

It would work too, but I think it's better to keep it checked and instead remove the incorrect xmp information from the images. Without "xmp" checked, you cannot edit comments within jAlbum. Further, xmp IS the most recent standard. You'd better embrace it.

No additional software used. This is built into Windows 10 File Explorer. If youhave a JAlbum running in your office on a Windows 10 computer, then the best way is to try it.

Yet another STUPID design choice of Microsoft then :-(
JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Jun 18, 14:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:

And a wonderful example of what I mean when I say, Don't do me any favors!

MS has said, "I see you've entered a title, but not a subject. So I'm sure you'll want me to copy that title into the subject field, as well. We'll say 'you're welcome,' because we're sure you'll thank us for doing you this favor."
John-Simpson

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 13:11   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

MS has said, "I see you've entered a title, but not a subject. So I'm sure you'll want me to copy that title into the subject field, as well. We'll say 'you're welcome,' because we're sure you'll thank us for doing you this favor."

I don't know why Microsoft duplicates this data, but you can just over type it.

Although MS photo editing facility is available to millions of Windows 10 users I think I might be the only one using it!!

I find it very good because it is able to save the same data to lots of photos simultaneously. For example the Title for all this set would be 'Holiday in Cornwall'. This will then get duplicated in Subject, but I over type in Subject Field the indervidual descriptions for each photo.
John-Simpson

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 13:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:

Although MS photo editing facility is available to millions of Windows 10 users I think I might be the only one using it!!

I find it very good because it is able to save the same data to lots of photos simultaneously. For example the Title for all this set would be 'Holiday in Cornwall'. This will then get duplicated in Subject, but I over type in Subject Field the indervidual descriptions for each photo.
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jun 18, 13:30   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:

Ya' know what the real answer is? Use jAlbum to enter titles and comments, instead of doing it in File Explorer. You don't even have to make an album! The jAlbum core will obediently write out your titles and comments to the files, in the proper xmp fields, where they will be preserved.

Here's a little experiment. Under Tools, Preferences, Album, make sure that last box is checked: Write xmp metadata to files. Now start a new jAlbum project. Under Settings > Advanced > Metadata, check the first two boxes for Comment source - xmp and jAlbum (Text file). Now add an image. Right-click it, and choose List metadata. That will show you what's in the file at this moment. Now enter a new title and/or comment for that image, and look at the metadata again.

In short, whatever you enter as a jAlbum title lands in xmp.dc:title[1], as it should, and whatever you enter as a jAlbum comments lands in xmp.dc:description[1].

If you've copied the images into the project, you'd then need to go out into File Explorer and copy those images back into your source directory to have your entries preserved for future use. But if you've linked to the images in the project, your originals will now have the correct metadata.
davidekholm

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 07:19   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:

jAlbum can do this too. If you for instance wish to apply a title to several images, set the "label type" selector in the top-right part of jAlbum's Explorer view to "Title", then right click an image to copy the title from and select Title->Copy. Now select the target images and right click and select Title->Paste. You can use the same procedure to copy and paste comments and keywords too. Further to this, the "Description" property panel of jAlbum's Edit view allows you to right click each field ("Creator", "Keywords" etc) and select "Apply to all", and finally, under Settings->Images->"Copyright embedding" you can ensure that your copyright info is written to all generated images (this one applies to generated images only)
evertmulder

Posted: 14 Jun 18, 09:57   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

maybe this will help you.
https://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html
On some pictures I hat the same problem and solved it with this program
All off my 10.000 photos have a comment and this is shown under my photo.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums