This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Mar-2018 00:13 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

Wanted: Turtle in Tiger Clothing
Posted: 07-Mar-2018 19:55

Click to reply to this thread Reply
For many projects, I use / prefer the Turtle skin. However, some of my friends are "stuck" with small-screens on cell phones. So, for them, I produce Tiger-skinned albums. I've even thought of making two versions of an album to enable viewers to choose between them . . . a bit more than I really want to do.

MY WISH: "Blend" Turtle and Tiger and have auto-recognition of viewing devices to allow for viewing with Turtle on a PC and with Tiger features on a cell phone. In some cases, a viewer might choose either if using a tablet.

Just wishing. Or, maybe there's a solution out there that I don't know about?

/Roger - who continually appreciates jAlbum innovations.
jGromit

Re: Wanted: Turtle in Tiger Clothing
Posted: 07-Mar-2018 21:37   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

It might help if you could tell us what things Turtle does that aren't possible with Tiger.
linuxrog

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 22:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Tiger formats / lays out index pages, etc., in a format that is more cell phone friendly. But, for viewing on PCs with larger screens, I prefer Turtle's layout of sub-album thumbs, etc. Tiger seems to do a better job of scaling and arranging images on cell phones.

Compare, e.g.,
http://www.bronord.com/pics/stx/
vs.
http://www.bronord.com/pics/fsa/

The latter album's folder thumbs are quite small on a cell phone but the album renders well on a PC.

But, Tiger didn't do a good job on wide, top-level, folder thumbnails.

Thanks for taking a look.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 22:41   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Ah, I see. It's the folder thumbnails with side-mounted captions that don't exist in Tiger. That may be because making those responsive to the viewport width would be a challenge (been down that road myself, and it's ugly). Maybe that's an option that Laza can build into Tiger in some future version.

I've also been down the "detect the screen size and redirect the user to a different album" path, and can't recommend it. It turns into a real maintenance headache. And eventually you discover that your site visitors don't care about the page layout - they just want to look at the nice pictures. ;)
linuxrog

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 22:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I know about just wanting to look. Thought of providing two different links but decided that people would probably not even pay attention to the choices given. I even thought of having a top-level index page that links to Tiger vs. Turtle. Skipped that idea too because of thinking I'd have to, more or less, build two different albums . . . didn't quite think thru the implications on that one.

Side-mounted: that's actually less of a point because most of my albums don't have side-mounted captions. They do tend to have several sub-albums. Compare viewing on PC vs. cell phone,

http://www.bronord.com/pics/egypt/
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 23:24   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
Attachment ss003789.png (861.3 KB)
Attachment ss003790.png (751.3 KB)
You can do pretty much the same thing with Tiger - just tell it to use more columns of folder thumbnails under Tiger > Sections > Folders.

Edit: Quickly tossed together album with 6 folder columns - see screenshot ss003789. And unlike Turtle, this responds to the viewport width, so it's OK on a phone. See ss003790, which is what it looks like in a smaller browser window.
linuxrog

Posted: 07-Mar-2018 23:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the effort and tips. I'll cogitate and digest them.

And, I see that the implication is to not use a lot of thumbs-across if viewing on a cell phone is anticipated . . . a likely event these days.

Edited by: linuxrog on 07-Mar-2018 17:50
jGromit

Posted: 08-Mar-2018 00:03   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
Attachment phone.png (784.5 KB)
linuxrog wrote:
And, I see that the implication is to not use a lot of thumbs-across if viewing on a cell phone is anticipated . . . a likely event these days.

Well, no. In Tiger, the layout adapts just fine for a phone. You tell it to use 6 columns, and on a large monitor, that's what you get. But on a phone, you might get only 3 across. That's what responsive design is all about.

Here's what that same album looks like on my Android.
linuxrog

Posted: 08-Mar-2018 00:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ah: you've hit upon what I wish could be in Turtle. Thanks.

P.S. What trick did you use to get an image of your cell phone? Nice.

Edited by: linuxrog on 07-Mar-2018 18:10
jGromit

Posted: 08-Mar-2018 00:10   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Ah: you've hit upon what I wish could be in Turtle. Thanks.

Well, we're going in circles here. If you want a responsive layout, use Tiger. Don't use Turtle.

Back to where we started: what does Turtle do that Tiger doesn't? Why do you feel the need to stick with Turtle? Why don't you just use Tiger for everything?
jGromit

Posted: 08-Mar-2018 00:13   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
P.S. What trick did you use to get an image of your cell phone? Nice.

Depends on the phone. On my Galaxy S7, a side-of-the-palm swipe does the trick, but that's not even close to being universal.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums