This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Feb-2018 11:54 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jimberry

Super/Blue/Blood Moon
Posted: 01-Feb-2018 19:14

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Along with crowds of others, I managed to get some shots of the
once-in-a-blue-moon event the other night.
A problem with my tripod prevented me from achieving the long exposures needed for the later eclipse
RobM

Re: Super/Blue/Blood Moon
Posted: 01-Feb-2018 20:51   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I managed to have a look but by then it was too high in the sky and February, and of course we missed out on the eclipse here in the UK :(

Spill the beans and tell us what lens you used?
jimberry

Posted: 01-Feb-2018 22:01   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Canon EOS 400D with EF 55-200mm lens
RobM

Posted: 01-Feb-2018 23:42   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Canon EOS 400D with EF 55-200mm lens
Good shots with 'only' a 200mm lens ;)

I noticed in some of your photos that others seemed to be using smaller lenses, I suspect a few will be disappointed in the size of the Moon in their shots. Many forget/don't know how much of the apparent size of the Moon is down to illusion.
jimberry

Posted: 02-Feb-2018 03:00   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I wonder if anyone notices the (obvious??) post-processing cheat to get the birds in font of the moon in a couple of the shots?
I also wonder how much of the size illusion is down to different bias in individuals? My illusion is that the moon is bigger near the horizon and smaller when lost in the vastness of the upper sky. Conversation at the site with other photographers revealed an opposite bias - the higher the moon the bigger it seems!!! Chacun a son gout ;-)
RobM

Posted: 02-Feb-2018 10:31   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
I wonder if anyone notices the (obvious??) post-processing cheat to get the birds in font of the moon in a couple of the shots?
What are the chances of to sets of two birds inflight being in the same positions ;) a flip and rotation with a single bird would have been harder to spot :)
I also wonder how much of the size illusion is down to different bias in individuals? My illusion is that the moon is bigger near the horizon and smaller when lost in the vastness of the upper sky. Conversation at the site with other photographers revealed an opposite bias - the higher the moon the bigger it seems!!! Chacun a son gout ;-)
That’s odd, the illusion is due to the Moon being low in the sky and seen with land/sea based objects, causing the brain to infer the Moon must be much bigger. Higher up the Moon would have been brighter but just a few percent bigger than a normal Moon.
mrag

Posted: 07-Feb-2018 08:24   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Jim, nice shots. Envious of your weather conditions and fellow participants. Here is was like 3º F and 4 AM. So it was basically only me looking at the moon which was behind a big tree. Robbed most of the romance in viewing.
jimberry

Posted: 07-Feb-2018 09:13   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
Here is was like 3º F and 4 AM. ... Robbed most of the romance
For me, the best shots were actually prior to the eclipse — i.e. at moonrise, which for a full moon is at the same time as sunset.
The "blood moon" occasioned by the eclipse is of course much less bright than the orange-red moon that we see low in the sky at moonrise and just after, when the light has to travel through more of the earth's atmosphere to reach the viewer.
Others with better equipment were able to get some good shots during the eclipse , but I wasn't able to manage a long enough exposure for the dimmer light.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums