This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Jan-2018 23:53 Last Post By: PaulWhiting Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PaulWhiting

image size for upload
Posted: 29-Jan-2018 21:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome here. As for this new thread I did a pretty thorough search but couldn't find the answer.

Somewhere I did see 960 x 720 is what Turtle prefers... but when my comment option is showing at the bottom of the screen, my image comments are hidden. The title shows, but not the comments.

Thanks, yet again!
jGromit

Re: image size for upload
Posted: 29-Jan-2018 22:00   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Attachment ss003713.png (33.0 KB)
The problem is the jAlbum widget bar at the bottom. The Turtle page doesn't know it's there, so it doesn't leave space for it. That bar is added by jAlbum upon viewing the album, not by the skin. If you click the minus sign at the far right end of the widget bar, the second line of your caption will be revealed.

Offhand, I don't think there's a way to get Turtle to leave space for the widget bar, but maybe I'm just not seeing it. There is a sneaky way to pull it off, however. You can tell Turtle to put an extra line break after each comment, which pushes things up enough to clear the widget bar. See screenshot, attached.

But personally, I'd dump the widgets. If you want to keep track of how many people visit your site, use Google Analytics, which is invisible to the visitors (they don't care how many other people have seen the site, do they?). You've got "about" and "contact" info independently of the widgets. The only thing you would lose is the ability for visitors to leave comments, but that often turns into a spam magnet anyway.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 23:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hmm, not quite. I think it will take more than one page break, I'll play with adding another one or two. But perhaps your suggestion makes more sense... how would I deactivate that widget?

And... image upload size preference for this skin? My hunch is to use something a bit bigger, say 1024 x 768 and let Turtle (or would it be jAlbum) scale it down to what it's happy with.

Thanks,

Paul
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 23:35   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
I think it will take more than one page break, I'll adding another one or two. But perhaps your suggestion makes more sense... how would I deactivate that widget?

The quickest way is to head for Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata and uncheck Include jAlbum widget support.

And... image upload size preference for this skin?

This is a responsive skin, so the images adjust themselves to the size of the visitor's monitor. Bigger images will give visitors with large monitors a better show, but bigger images also have larger file sizes, which might slow things down on a poor Internet connection, or from a lousy web host. There are always tradeoffs.

The Turtle default is, indeed, 960x720. If you've got a decently fast web host, I'd be inclined to push it further, maybe to something like 1600x750 (I use that as the default in several of my skins).
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 23:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Correct
Oh, and under Turtle > Images > Behavior, you should really choose both Fit images to browser and Shrink only. The skin is responsive, but not choosing these options sort of defeats the purpose.

Edit: A couple more recommended settings changes:

• Under Album > Settings > Images > General > Scaling method, I would choose Smooth. A little slower to process, but the results will look slightly better. Worth it, if you care about your images.
  • Under Album > Settings > Advanced > Naming, choose URL-encode links. This is better for modern browsers, and much safer.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 30-Jan-2018 23:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the extra tweaks... I've implemented all of them, all running smoothly now.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums