This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 02-Feb-2018 01:41 Last Post By: PaulWhiting Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PaulWhiting

household cleaning
Posted: 28-Jan-2018 02:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
As I continue to dig into jAlbum, I have two questions about my housekeeping,

1) Looking at my folder tree, I see two exact folder "trees". One goes like this, under "Documents" (I'm using Windows 10) :

myalbum>paulwhitingphoto>album>(here we see a list of my 8 or so folders)

The other tree leaves out the "album" step and goes directly from paulwhingphoto to the list of my folders. Both trees are in sync, one is the exact copy of the other. Can I safely erase one? If so, which one? Neither of these is the bkp folder, I see the bkp somewhere else.

2) When I get to the Upload/Manage step, I see the first entry, at the top, the address of my host. That's what I highlight for my update. Below that is a list of all my website's folders. OK, all well and good. But in the midst of that list of my folders is my website's domain name (without the extension). I always save to my host's URL at the top... but what's that other domain name doing among the list of folders?

Thank you,

Paul

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 27-Jan-2018 18:37

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 27-Jan-2018 18:39

Edited by: PaulWhiting on 27-Jan-2018 18:40
jGromit

Re: household cleaning
Posted: 28-Jan-2018 05:31   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
The other tree leaves out the "album" step and goes directly from paulwhingphoto to the list of my folders. Both trees are in sync, one is the exact copy of the other. Can I safely erase one?

No. The top level is the input to the album-building process - the full-sized original images, plus files like albumfiles.txt, comments.properties, and a hidden .jalbum folder, all of which constitute the recipe for creating the album. If you deleted it, you would never be able to modify the album. The album level contains the finished album - files like index.html, and the res, thumbs, and slides directories,

Both the top level and the finished album have the same folder structure, of course, but they're not exact copies of each other.

jAlbum doesn't create files that aren't needed for anything. There is nothing you can delete when you're finished unless you intend never to make any changes to the album.

... but what's that other domain name doing among the list of folders?

Earlier, you accidentally uploaded your album to the wrong location, and that folder is a leftover. The entire album is present in two places:

http://www.paulwhitingphotography.com/ (created 1/27/18, 4:45 pm)

http://www.paulwhitingphotography.com/PaulWhitingPhotography/ (created 1/26/18, 6:43 am)

Delete the second one entirely.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 28-Jan-2018 14:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Got it... very helpful, once again.

I must have made a small (I hope) mistake somewhere, I fear. When I upload my latest tweak, all goes well but it doesn't quite finish... it keeps trying to upload the folder "West-other". I wait and wait, but finally give up and exit the upload process. Apparently no harm done, I haven't been working on that folder at all.

I also note that sometimes it's necessary to clear the cache before the latest version is displayed - I learned that early on. Any tips on that, i.e. is there any recommended time in the workflow to do that clearing?
jGromit

Posted: 28-Jan-2018 15:06   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
When I upload my latest tweak, all goes well but it doesn't quite finish... it keeps trying to upload the folder "West-other". I wait and wait, but finally give up and exit the upload process.

The upload goes alphabetically, so that folder would be the last one it tackles. Not sure why it would fail to finish.

I also note that sometimes it's necessary to clear the cache before the latest version is displayed - I learned that early on. Any tips on that, i.e. is there any recommended time in the workflow to do that clearing?

I just hit F5 whenever I'm previewing the album locally in my browser, or when it's finished uploading and I want to see the result. There's no such thing as "too much cache-clearing." :)
RobM

Posted: 28-Jan-2018 20:57   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

PaulWhiting wrote:
As I continue to dig into jAlbum, I have two questions about my housekeeping,
Further to jGromit's response, you might find this help page useful in future. Note jAlbum 15.2 beta is out and the locations of the output album is one area being updated. Once the beta has been released the page mention previously will be updated.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 00:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

jGromit:

"http://www.paulwhitingphotography.com/ (created 1/27/18, 4:45 pm)

http://www.paulwhitingphotography.com/PaulWhitingPhotography/ (created 1/26/18, 6:43 am)

Delete the second one entirely."

I did that but it continues to pop up, now at the head of the list of folders. No biggie...just a little pain in the neck!

Rob M:

Good link... that will take some study.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 00:44   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

At least it's now almost empty. Take a look at the source code on the page:

http://paulwhitingphotography.com/paulwhitingphotography

It appears that your web host is creating that folder - it's certainly not coming from jAlbum.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 17:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

In normal view mode, it is empty! I don't know source code, but I know how to poke under the hood and look at it... appears to be just the parameters, but zero content. Now how, or why, would my host do that?!

Oh, and a PS... when I upload, it finally does finish. I guess I was a bit impatient.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2018 17:25   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

It appears to be a little Javascript snippet that lets 1and1 take over the site if your hosting account with them expires, or something like that. You'd have to ask them about it.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 31-Jan-2018 00:01   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

All is helpful... I should print out these threads and create a notebook!
PaulWhiting

Posted: 31-Jan-2018 18:05   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Uh-oh... one more cleaning task, I thought I was done. Sorry guys, seems like just when I think I'm finally getting it something else pops up.

Here goes: I go to Cntrl-M to upload my album, At the first step, I choose "Connect", which takes me to step 2. At top of my folders there appear two new ones:

A Glass Half-Empty
and
A Glass Half-empty

Below these are the folders:

half-empty
and
half-full

These latter two are what I want and use, I don't know where those first two came from. These new folders are indeed the titles at the top of each folder in the finished product but other than that appear nowhere else. How did they get there and can I safely delete them?

BTW, I've discovered I can clear the cache better with Cntrl-Shift-Delete than with F5 or even Cntrl-F5.

Do you have access to the innards of my website? I hope so!
jGromit

Posted: 31-Jan-2018 18:17   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

Yes, half-empty and half-full are the real folder names. The two variants on A Glass Half-Empty don't exist in the album project.

First, connect to your web host and delete those two folders - A Glass Half-Empty and A Glass Half-empty.

Now make sure they're not lurking in your project. Open the album project, then choose Tools, Open directories, Output directory. If you see A Glass Half-Empty or A Glass Half-empty out there, delete them.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 01-Feb-2018 00:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

For the first area that you suggested I used Filezilla but couldn't find those two maverick folders. For the second area I didn't use Filezilla, it wasn't necessary.

So I should be able to safely delete those when I'm at step 2 of the upload process, right?
jGromit

Posted: 01-Feb-2018 00:29   in response to: PaulWhiting in response to: PaulWhiting

When you connect to your web host with FileZilla, you should see exactly the same folders you see when you connect with the jAlbum uploader. They're both just FTP client programs, and they're looking at the same set of files and folders.
PaulWhiting

Posted: 01-Feb-2018 00:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'll look again, perhaps I missed them. I'm pretty sure I checked both the "template" or "input" folder and the folder below it under "album", as it appears on the site. Not sure what to call these folders but I think you'll know what I mean.

I'll do that tomorrow. Isn't it about midnight, or even later, over there? How do you guys do it?!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums