Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 56 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 13-Feb-2018 18:26 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

jAlbum 15.2 beta for testing
Posted: 25-Jan-2018 16:40
Hi,
jAlbum 15.2 beta is here. Here are the changes:
  • jAlbum's recent project list now finally displays the name of the project file instead of the containing folder's name if the project name isn't the default name (jalbum-settings.jap). This allows project files to be located under the same folder without ending up in a long list of the same folder name printed. Renaming an entry under "Recent projects" will rename the project file instead of renaming the project/image folder in case the project name isn't the default (jalbum-settings.jap). Use "File->Save project settings as" or Explorer/Finder to make the initial project name change.
  • Introducing a new folder concept: Web directory. The Web directory is a global preference which can point out the root of a local web structure where to put album folders by default. jAlbum can now be instructed to either put new projects in an "album" sub folder of the project folder (still the default) or in a folder under the new web directory. The location of the web directory can be set under jAlbum preferences.
  • Fixed bug causing blank full screen review view mode under OS X High Sierra
  • Fixed rare nullpointer bug during album build (relating to Java's TreeMap implementation)
  • Slight speed improvement to album building

Here are installers for Windows , Mac and zip for you to try. Bug reports appreciated!

As always, comments and translations are appreciated :-)
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 15.2 beta for testing
Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
The Windows installer fails. No desktop icon, and the "launch jAlbum" option at the end of the installer script simply opens File Explorer to C:\WIndows\SysWOW64.

After doing a complete "scrub," I ran the installer again, and got 15.1b2, which is hardly what I was after. ;)
jGromit

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
  • jAlbum's recent project list now finally displays the name of the project file instead of the containing folder's name if the project name isn't the default name (jalbum-settings.jap).

(Got the correct 15.2b1 on macOS.)

If I create an album project called aa and save the settings as tester.jap, I get two entries on the project list, one labeled aa and one labeled tester. I never saved the project with jalbum-settings.jap as the file name.

Edit: And if I open aa and delete the entire project, the tester entry remains, and an attempt to open it produces a java.io.FileNotFoundException.

EditEdit: After a close and relaunch, the tester entry is gone, but it's still present in recent-projects.txt - the project deletion didn't actually get rid of it.
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Truly odd. I've double checked the command line I used to upload the archives. All looks fine, but as you say, it's the old b1 file that's being delivered from the web server. Well, I ran the same command line again. Now I can verify that the new beta is delivered, and it installs fine.
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

Edit: And if I open aa and delete the entire project, the tester entry remains, and an attempt to open it produces a java.io.FileNotFoundException.

EditEdit: After a close and relaunch, the tester entry is gone, but it's still present in recent-projects.txt - the project deletion didn't actually get rid of it.

Corner cases, corner cases ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Now I can verify that the new beta is delivered, and it installs fine.

Yes, another download coughed up the correct beta this time.
RobM

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I did a 'Save as' to change the project settings file name, quit jAlbum, deleted the old jalbum-settings.jap file and then relaunched jAlbum.

The explore view shows the new project name but the menu 'recent projects' shows the old project name. See attached
jGromit

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 17:57   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Isn't the Explore view simply showing the path? Changing the name of the .jap file doesn't change the directory name.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 18:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Introducing a new folder concept: Web directory. The Web directory is a global preference which can point out the root of a local web structure where to put album folders by default.

This is precisely the situation in which relative URL's are needed for web locations. The top level of the local web structure may consist entirely of web locations, each of which is actually a subdirectory of the local web structure. Being restricted to absolute URL's makes this very unwieldy, because when you preview the top level, the links take you to the published site instead of taking you to the appropriate place in the local web structure.
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 18:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Introducing a new folder concept: Web directory. The Web directory is a global preference which can point out the root of a local web structure where to put album folders by default.

This is precisely the situation in which relative URL's are needed for web locations. The top level of the local web structure may consist entirely of web locations, each of which is actually a subdirectory of the local web structure. Being restricted to absolute URL's makes this very unwieldy, because when you preview the top level, the links take you to the published site instead of taking you to the appropriate place in the local web structure.

Making the path itself relative shouldn't be hard. How do we go about choosing the representing image in an intuitive way?
RobM

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 18:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Isn't the Explore view simply showing the path? Changing the name of the .jap file doesn't change the directory name.
Yes, but that is not what I meant to convey. What I now think is incongruous is that the recent project list still shows the old project settings. If I have two recent projects and do a save as on one, quit jAlbum and restart I would expect to see two recent projects, not three - albeit two are in fact the same project.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Jan-2018 18:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Making the path itself relative shouldn't be hard. How do we go about choosing the representing image in an intuitive way?

Not sure about that part, but couldn't you just try to extract a representing image in the same way it's done for absolute links?

Another option: if the entered link is relative (i.e., it doesn't start with http or https), force the user to select an image before closing the dialog.

Another option: use a generic thumbnail if the user doesn't choose a representing image.
davidekholm

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 12:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I guess the easiest approach is to not attempt to select a representing image if the user selects a relative path, then either force the user to select a representing image manually or use an icon if no explicit representing image has been selected.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 14:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I'd vote for just using a generic icon unless the user provides a representing image. Anyone who's using relative URL's for web locations knows what he's doing, and why. He may be setting up a master album, and may not be ready to provide an image when he's doing the initial setup, so forcing a choice would be annoying.

One additional request.... If the user edits the web location URL, don't automatically wipe out the representing image (as currently happens with absolute URL's). If I'm changing the relative URL from somedir/index.html to ../somedir/index.html, I probably don't want to select a new representing image. In fact, even if I'm changing from an absolute URL to a relative one, there's a good chance that I want to hang on to the representing image.
davidekholm

Posted: 26-Jan-2018 15:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Point taken!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums