Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Mar-2018 22:18 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 27-Dec-2017 00:05

My C drive was too small, so I moved all my image folders to a new external drive. My project files are also moved to the new external drive because I save the project files always in the image folder.
The output folders were also moved to the external drive.

I did expect that I could generate my albums without problems by using the same project files on the external drive, but it was a disaster: not any album could be generated without problems.

Theme images were disappeared, all htt files seems to be empty, I had to correct drive letters for the output folders and all album URLs were lost and albums with linked images were empty.

To correct these items, please change at least the next items in jAlbum:

• Use relative links instead of the absolute links which are used now
  • Don't save the drive letter of the output folder address in the project file if the output folder is on the same drive as the image folder
  • Save the URL of the album in the project file.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 27-Dec-2017 08:56
karlmistelberger

Re: Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 27-Dec-2017 13:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
My C drive was too small, so I moved all my image folders to a new external drive. My project files are also moved to the new external drive because I save the project files always in the image folder. The output folders were also moved to the external drive.

You may create a symbolic link:
karl@erlangen:~> ll /home/Albums
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 12. Sep 2016  /home/Albums -> /home-SSD/Albums/ 
karl@erlangen:~> 
The albums actually reside on a second SSD, but they get accessed through the link. jAlbum will never notice that it is being cheated.

P.S.: 30,266 out of 428,134 objects on the partition of the OS are actually links restructuring the file system tree.
AndreWolff

Posted: 27-Dec-2017 16:45   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Karl, I am not using Unix but Windows 10.
davidekholm

Posted: 27-Dec-2017 17:05   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

jGromit

Posted: 27-Dec-2017 23:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

For anyone else reading this, if you leave the jAlbum defaults alone, you won't run into these kinds of problems. Specifically, if you've told jAlbum to copy images into the project, rather than just linking them - see Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files - and if you've left the output directory as a subdirectory of the project, named album, your project will be reasonably portable. Switching operating systems (like from Windows to macOS) can be a bit tricky, but even that is a problem only if you're doing something different from the defaults.

If you start changing the defaults, it's assumed that you know what you're doing, and understand the consequences of your changes.

And the album URL is stored within the project (though not in the settings file). Where else would it be?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 28-Dec-2017 08:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

mklink on Windows works pretty much the same way as ln on unix/linux. Be aware:
  • mklink Link Target
  • ln Target Link
To minimize hassle when moving always check path names before building and uploading:
karl@erlangen:~> grep -i directory /home/Albums/Tiger/jalbum-settings.jap
outputDirectory=/home/Albums/jAlbums/Tiger !!!!!!
slideDirectory=slides
remoteDirectory=Tiger !!!!!!
resourceDirectory=res
directory=/home/Albums/Tiger !!!!!!
closeupDirectory=slides
hiResDirectory=hi-res
thumbnailDirectory=thumbs
karl@erlangen:~> 
AndreWolff

Posted: 28-Dec-2017 23:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
If you start changing the defaults, it's assumed that you know what you're doing, and understand the consequences of your changes.
Evrybody understands what a link is I guess, so if you advice not to use this, you admit that the current implementation is weak.
jGromit wrote:
And the album URL is stored within the project (though not in the settings file). Where else would it be?
I saw that, but nevertheless the URL was not showed if I tried to upload the album from the new drive. jAlbum uses apparently also info from other directories like the config directory to compose the URL fot the FTP program.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 28-Dec-2017 23:38
AndreWolff

Posted: 28-Dec-2017 23:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

That is much too complicated for normal users and it does not solve all the problems as you see if you tried it yourself.

By just implementing my 3 points (where the album URL can be composed just from the project file without the use of info from othere directories) users don't have to learn new tricks.
davidekholm

Posted: 29-Dec-2017 12:19   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

We've been down this road before. I've explained that relative links are as problematic as absolute links. The problems vary, but there is no "silver bullet" kind of path reference.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 29-Dec-2017 13:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
That is much too complicated for normal users and it does not solve all the problems as you see if you tried it yourself.

Links are easy: Never access your data through the target path. Always use the link path. You may want to use hidden folders as target. Thus any application will only show the correct path and even challenged users will never get confused.
AndreWolff

Posted: 29-Dec-2017 18:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
We've been down this road before. I've explained that relative links are as problematic as absolute links. The problems vary, but there is no "silver bullet" kind of path reference.
What is the problem with relative links?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 30-Dec-2017 09:48
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Dec-2017 14:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
What is the problem with relative links?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 30-Dec-2017 09:48

Say that you move the image directory but not the output directory, now the path is broken between them if it's a relative path.
AndreWolff

Posted: 31-Dec-2017 10:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Say that you move the image directory but not the output directory, now the path is broken between them if it's a relative path.
I don’t understand that, because the path to the output directory is currently an absolute address. And if you move the image directory to another disk with the same directory structure, no relative image link is broken.
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Jan-2018 22:42   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Your question was regarding the problems with relative links, wasn't it? I gave an example.
AndreWolff

Posted: 03-Jan-2018 18:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Your question was regarding the problems with relative links, wasn't it?
Yes
I gave an example.
? Where?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums