Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 19-Mar-2018 22:18 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Re: Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 13-Mar-2018 16:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
One final thought: if the user shouldn't move the source image directory, then it should use an absolute path. That way, the path from the project would always be correct, even if you moved the project. And that's exactly the way jAlbum currently works. Problem solved!
If the user should not move the image folder and he/she saves the project file in the image folder as I do, the project is never moved, so it is safe to use relative links and the problem discussed in this thread is solved!
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 16:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
With the start drag event end the end drag event.

How would you move the source image folder from within jAlbum?

You can not move the root image folder within jAlbum, but I guess you can move a sub-folder into another sub-folder by dragging and that I had in mind!
karlmistelberger

Posted: 19-Mar-2018 21:38   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
With the start drag event end the end drag event.

How would you move the source image folder from within jAlbum?

You can not move the root image folder within jAlbum, but I guess you can move a sub-folder into another sub-folder by dragging and that I had in mind!

• Checked moving the image directory with v15.3.2. You can move the folder anywhere. Upon clicking (or double clicking for the deplorables) jalbum-settings.jap jAlbum will start the project with the correct value displayed in Settings > General > Image directory and Album information (Ctrl+I).

• v15.3.2 also honors soft links. Upon clicking a path containing a soft link jAlbum displays the correct path.

Given the two findings above jAlbum behaves the same way any other program does. This is great, but as I learned from previous versions it is not self-evident.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Mar-2018 21:45   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

jGromit wrote:
You can not move the root image folder within jAlbum....

The key word is within. We're well-aware that you can move a project in the OS, and jAlbum won't be confused by that when you reopen it. Of course, if it's using relative paths instead of absolute paths to point to the original images or the output directory (if it's not a subdirectory of the project directory), the results would be a mess.

Edit: Surprisingly, I'm not the person who locked this thread. ;)

Edited by: jGromit on 19-Mar-2018 17:18
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums