Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Mar-2018 22:18 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: Improve jAlbum for backups and use with external drives
Posted: 09-Mar-2018 23:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

You have to understand why we become frustrated trying to help you when you don’t want to make any mental effort to draw conclusions of links we pass you.

You may put the link closer to the root folder to make it wider or use several symbolic links. And please, I’ve already mentioned the disadvantages with relative links.
AndreWolff

Posted: 10-Mar-2018 09:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
And please, I’ve already mentioned the disadvantages with relative links.
I know you said that several times, but you never did give a reference to the message where you explained this! So I still don't see the disadvantages!

A lot of professional photographers are using Adobe Lightroom with both the RAW images and the Ligthtroom database on a fast external SSD. They export the processed images as jpg files to the same external disc They use that disc in the field with a laptop and in the office on a desktop with a large monitor.

No mklink commands are required to use that disk on any system, because they use relative links. It is rather weird that they have to add mklink commands if they like to process the jpg files with jAlbum!
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 12:37   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

What I commented long ago on relative links (can't find the post now) is that relative links break if the source folder is moved in relation to the target folder. Absolute links are unaffected by this.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 13:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Say that you move the image directory but not the output directory, now the path is broken between them if it's a relative path.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 13:20   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Let's consider the relationship of the project directory and the location of the source images or the output directory (different cases, but they suffer from exactly the same problems). Preference is set to link to source images, rather than copying them into the project directory. Output directory is not simply project directory/album.

Path to source images or output directory is relative:

• Move project directory: links broken.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links OK.

Path to source images or output directory is absolute:

• Move project directory: links OK.
  • Move source directory or output directory: links broken.
  • Move both directories, but maintain relative position: links broken.

Conclusion: no matter which way you do it, there are two failure modes.

There is no solution that works in all cases. For the way I use the application, the current use of absolute links is much easier to manage. Changing it would make a complete mess.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 13:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
What I commented long ago on relative links (can't find the post now) is that relative links break if the source folder is moved in relation to the target folder.
Of course, so you should correct the relative links if the source folder is moved!

But I think the source folder is seldom moved, so if you you do not implement an automatic correction, you can give a warning if the user plans to move a directory.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 13-Mar-2018 13:24
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 13:40   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
...you should correct the relative links if the source folder is moved!

By magic? How would the application know where you had moved it?

...you can give a warning if the user plans to move a directory.

jAlbum 16 will read your mind. If you're thinking about moving a directory, it will warn you not to do it.

jAlbum already takes care of this. If you move the source folder, and the project can't find the image files, you get a red "X" instead of a thumbnail. If you double-click on one of those and lead the application to the new location, jAlbum will attempt to correct all the remaining paths.

It doesn't matter whether the links are relative or absolute - if you have moved the files, you still have to tell jAlbum where you have moved them. It can't guess. It can't scan the entire file system in the hopes of finding them.

David - time to lock this thread?
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

By magic? How would the application know where you had moved it?

With the start drag event end the end drag event.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

How would you move the source image folder from within jAlbum?
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

I never do that.

Most people know that moving a folder which adres is in a database leeds to problems, so they Will not do that.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:39   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

I never do that.

Of course not. There's no way to do so. But if you move the source images in File Explorer, how would jAlbum ever know about that? All it knows is that the image files aren't where they used to be. It has no idea where they are now. And if it doesn't know where the files are now, how can it correct the paths?

Do you really not understand this?
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:
jGromit wrote:
AndreWolff wrote:

I never do that.

Of course not. There's no way to do so. But if you move the source images in File Explorer, how would jAlbum ever know about that? All it knows is that the image files aren't where they used to be. It has no idea where they are now. And if it doesn't know where the files are now, how can it correct the paths?

Do you really not understand this?

Yes of course, most people know that moving a folder which address is in a database leeds to problems, so they will not do that. Also in a Ligthroom system you should not move a foto folder outside LR, but you can move a fotofolder within the LR program without problems.

So the argument that relative links should not be used because it gives problems if the image folder is moved is nonsens, because these folders should not be moved.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 13-Mar-2018 15:44
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:47   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

So this was an impossible demand, right? There's absolutely no way jAlbum could correct the links, because it doesn't know what you've done outside of jAlbum.

I'm sorry, but I can't keep knocking down the same confused suggestions over and over. It's just too exhausting.

I'm reminded of my three-year-old grandnephew who was furious that he couldn't put both shoes on the same foot. There was no amount of explaining that would shift him.

I'm done.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
What I commented long ago on relative links (can't find the post now) is that relative links break if the source folder is moved in relation to the target folder. Absolute links are unaffected by this.

I hope it is clear for you now that source folders should not be moved outside jAlbum, so you can implement relative links!
jGromit

Posted: 13-Mar-2018 15:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One final thought: if the user shouldn't move the source image directory, then it should use an absolute path. That way, the path from the project would always be correct, even if you moved the project. And that's exactly the way jAlbum currently works. Problem solved!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums