This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 13 Jan 22, 18:32 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

Running two JA simultaneously?
Posted: 10 Dec 17, 14:12

Click to reply to this thread Reply
If JA is running I can't get a second instance of JA starting. So it is possible to have only one project open at the same time. It's like you can only have one Word or Excel file open at the same time. But I'm aware that it could lead to several problems if you start making an album with your first instance and do the same in the second instance. In my case I would like to look to settings in the second instance so I can copy things from the second instance to the first one (via the clipboard). For the time being I use a second computer to run another JA.

Any ideas to open a second instance of JA simultaneously? TIA, Markus
JeffTucker

Re: Running two JA simultaneously?
Posted: 10 Dec 17, 14:21   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
For the time being I use a second computer to run another JA.

You've piqued my curiosity. How do you copy on one computer, and paste on the other?

If you just need to see the settings on the other project, grab a quick screen shot and view it in whatever application you have set as the default for viewing images, then toggle between the viewer and jAlbum, or half-screen each of them.

There is no "project tabbing" in jAlbum, alas, unlike Word or a browser.

Edited by: jGromit on 10-Dec-2017 08:29
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 14:26   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

If both projects are using the same skin, of course, you could start the new project and copy the settings from the existing one - Open, Import, Settings from Album Project - then make the changes needed for the new project.

If I wanted to copy only certain settings from one project into another, like custom CSS or HTML, I think I'd be tempted to open both jalbum-settings.jap files in a text editor, and do the copying and pasting there.
MarkusD

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 15:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
For the time being I use a second computer to run another JA.

You've piqued my curiosity. How do you copy on one computer, and paste on the other?

I'm not talking only about the settings, but also on comments, titles and so on.

If you just need to see the settings on the other project, grab a quick screen shot and view it in whatever application you have set as the default for viewing images, then toggle between the viewer and jAlbum, or half-screen each of them.
A screen shot? JA has 8 tabs for settings (some of them does have sub-tabs), and Tiger has 5 tabs with a lot of settings in sub-sections. Needs some screen shots. ;-)

There is no "project tabbing" in jAlbum, alas, unlike Word or a browser.
If David ever have no items on his ToDo list, a feature to open two projects at the same time would be great. ;-)
MarkusD

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 15:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
If both projects are using the same skin, of course, you could start the new project and copy the settings from the existing one - Open, Import, Settings from Album Project - then make the changes needed for the new project.
I'm aware of this function. But it rarely suites my needs. There are always some differences in the projects which I want to keep.

If I wanted to copy only certain settings from one project into another, like custom CSS or HTML, I think I'd be tempted to open both jalbum-settings.jap files in a text editor, and do the copying and pasting there.
I do this most of the time if I want to copy options of the album, yes. Sorry, that I was unclear with my original question, I also want to compare (and copy&paste) comments, title a.s.o from one album to the other. Therefore it would be handy to have two projects open at the same time.
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 15:16   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Well, comments.properties is also just a simple text file. The titles are tougher to get to, since they're saved in .info files. Also text, but the formatting is tougher to deal with.

But if you're trying to preserve comments, maybe you could let jAlbum write out your comments to xmp, then use xmp as a comment source in the newer project.
RobM

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 15:20   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I’m wondering why not just install another copy of jAlbum, call it jAlbum2 or whatever, and run both?
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 15:42   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
I’m wondering why not just install another copy of jAlbum, call it jAlbum2 or whatever, and run both?

An interesting idea, but you'd need to keep your head out of... well, you know.

Opening the same project in both could be catastrophic, especially since jAlbum doesn't write changes to the project files immediately in some cases. You'd also have to remember that no matter how many copies of jAlbum you're running, they're all sharing a single config directory (that's one of the problems with running older versions of jAlbum on a single machine).
RobM

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 16:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
…they're all sharing a single config directory (that's one of the problems with running older versions of jAlbum on a single machine).
Something I have considered is a tool that would swap config files.
As an ‘app’ it could be run before starting jAlbum, as an ‘external tool’ it could be used before closing jAlbum. You could then have multiple configurations to choose from. Keeping track of the naming would be the the only tricky part.
MarkusD

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 17:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
RobM wrote:

An interesting idea, but you'd need to keep your head out of... well, you know.

Yes, I know. ;-) I don't want to go down that road... To many bad things can happen.
mrag

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 19:30   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Attachment jA12.jpg (92.0 KB)
I have two jA versions on Win10. One is installed, the other is a zip version. I can start both, but have not tried using them simultaneously. I have enough trouble with one. Perhaps you'd care to try.

(I just realized one is 15.0.6 and 64 bit, the other 15.0.4 and 32 bit although I doubt it would make any difference)
MarkusD

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 20:29   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
I have two jA versions on Win10. One is installed, the other is a zip version. I can start both, but have not tried using them simultaneously. I have enough trouble with one. Perhaps you'd care to try.
Very clever idea. I just copied C:\Program Files\jAlbum to another folder and started jAlbum.exe, et voilà, a second instance. ;-)

To make sure the copied version is always identical to the main version I'l write a small batch file which copies the original folder of JA, and then starts the clone.

Case closed, thanks for your help.
JeffTucker

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 20:36   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

We're ready.

RobM

Posted: 10 Dec 17, 22:53   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Ugly, but on Mac OS internal type open -n /Applications/jAlbum.app/Contents/Java/JAlbum.jar
It allows multiple instances of jalbum, but the app icon is 'Java'. Two copies of jAlbum is much better.
davidekholm

Posted: 12 Dec 17, 14:03   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

To enable multiple instances of jAlbum to run you can double click the "jAlbum-ini" file in jAlbum's installation folder for editing. Now change the line:
Single Instance=yes
to
Single Instance=no
and save the changes.

You can safely edit and make different projects in different jAlbum instances this time. What can occur is that jAlbum's recent projects list only will display the recent projects of the last exited jAlbum instance.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums