Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 19 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 15-Dec-2017 16:32 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

New skin beta - Saturn
Posted: 06-Dec-2017 21:46
I've been toying with a new skin, called Saturn. I'm not officially releasing it yet, but the beta is far enough along to let people play with it.

Why "Saturn?" Why not? Laza's already used a lizard, an amphibian, a carnivorous mammal, and a species of web-page creator. I needed to go in a different direction, and one that doesn't involve any potential copyright infringement, and also provides a lot of public domain images (R.I.P., Cassini).

The thumbnail page is largely a Gromit clone, but with some noticeable differences (colorable SVG icons, for example). Unlike Gromit, however, this skin does not produce slide pages. It uses a lightbox script called Floatbox (I wasn't about to try to write my own). In this respect, it's like Matrix, but with some important improvements:

• Not only are images fully responsive, but the display is also fully responsive for MP4's, YouTube, Vimeo, animated GIF's, and even PDF's (in Matrix, videos are a fixed size, and PDF's aren't supported at all).
  • The image expander will work properly with jAlbum HiDPI images.
  • The automated slideshow "knows" when a video has ended, so even if you set the slideshow timing to something like 7 seconds, a 30-second video will play to completion before the next image appears.
  • Changing color schemes doesn't require reprocessing of all the images (one of the great unsolved problems in Matrix).
  • The slide images are swipe-enabled.
  • The script isn't abandonware. It's actively supported.

On the downside, the script isn't free, so without a license, you'll get random "nag" popups. The license terms, however, are pretty good. It's a one-time fee for each domain, with unlimited future updates, and a quantity discount for multiple domains. At present, it's $20 for a domain - I paid $49 for my three domains.

I haven't put together proper demo albums yet, but here's a quick example:

(temporary demo removed)

At the top level, try mouse-hovering over the "camera" icon, and clicking on the "globe" icon. The folder contains some examples of non-images.

Even if you fall madly in love with this skin right out of the gate, I advise against committing to it for your 47,000-image master album. This is a beta, and I might change variable names, scripts, and so forth.

(temporary download location removed)

The user's manual is pretty much ready, so the "help" links on the settings pages should all be usable.

Let me know if anything blows up. There's so much new code in there, I'll be surprised if it all works.

Edited by: jGromit on 15-Dec-2017 10:31
jGromit

Re: New skin beta - Saturn
Posted: 06-Dec-2017 21:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
BTW, PDF's appear to work well in desktop browsers, but on a phone, you're in no-man's-land. The problem isn't the underlying script - it's that mobile browsers don't yet support PDF's. So what you get depends entirely upon the peculiarities of your phone. My Galaxy S7 downloads the PDF, then offers to open it in the Kindle Reader. I am not making this up. ;)
waltbros

Posted: 07-Dec-2017 15:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
On the downside, the script isn't free, so without a license, you'll get random "nag" popups. The license terms, however, are pretty good. It's a one-time fee for each domain, with unlimited future updates, and a quantity discount for multiple domains. At present, it's $20 for a domain - I paid $49 for my three domains.

I can't wait for Saturn's release. Just one question. What happens if this guy gives up on supporting his app?

Walt
jGromit

Posted: 07-Dec-2017 15:41   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
waltbros wrote:
What happens if this guy gives up on supporting his app?

That's always a risk when you're dealing with a small software producer. What happens if David decides to pursue his dream of becoming a full-time professional wind surfer?
waltbros

Posted: 07-Dec-2017 16:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
waltbros wrote:
What happens if this guy gives up on supporting his app?

That's always a risk when you're dealing with a small software producer. What happens if David decides to pursue his dream of becoming a full-time professional wind surfer?

Understand. Still can't wait for Saturn's release.
Walt
waltbros

Posted: 07-Dec-2017 23:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Probably should start a new thread but, I may have found a little bug.

In - Overlays/Overlay Icons/Folder Overlay if I select the middle style icon then make album, it always reverts back to the top style icon.
Walt
jGromit

Posted: 07-Dec-2017 23:18   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
For now, keeping it all in one thread will be easier. And this is exactly the kind of bug-finding I'm hoping for!

Yes, I can replicate that - not sure where it's coming from, but I have my suspicions.

Waiting for my Win10 machine to finish installing the "Fall Creators Feature Update," so I can't get into my development stuff at the moment.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 02:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Wow. Weirdest bug I've seen this month. In fact, maybe this year. I'm not sure whether it's a jAlbum bug, a Java bug, a Swing bug, or a RiverLayout bug.

I think I have a solid workaround, but before I go any further, I want to toss my very stripped-down test case to David, and see if it makes him as crazy as it's made me for the last couple of hours. ;)
waltbros

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 04:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Wow. Weirdest bug I've seen this month. In fact, maybe this year. I'm not sure whether it's a jAlbum bug, a Java bug, a Swing bug, or a RiverLayout bug.
Yikes! I thought I found a "little" bug. haha
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 14:35   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
Reinstall the skin from the link in the first post, and see if this b2 version behaves better.
waltbros

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 15:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Reinstall the skin from the link in the first post, and see if this b2 version behaves better.
Yes, that fixed that "little" bug. Now, can you point me to where I can change the Tool Tip from white text on a black background to black text on a white background. My theme image and some of my folder theme images are rather dark.
Thanks
Walt
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 15:29   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
waltbros wrote:
Now, can you point me to where I can change the Tool Tip from white text on a black background to black text on a white background.

Now you've got me puzzled. The format of tooltips is entirely under the control of the browser - the page coding can't change it. In my browsers, tooltips are black text on a light background.
waltbros

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 16:01   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Now you've got me puzzled. The format of tooltips is entirely under the control of the browser - the page coding can't change it. In my browsers, tooltips are black text on a light background.

Aha, when using Chrome, black text on white background. jAlmum's internal browser is just the opposite. Hmmm, never noticed that.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2017 16:14   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
I rarely use the integrated browser, so I'd never noticed that before! Yes, those are tough to read. Something to take up with the JavaFX folks, I believe.
waltbros

Posted: 09-Dec-2017 15:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
This one falls under the strange category. I was making a few changes to my test album and viewing them with my browser. All of a sudden I started getting the floatbox nag screen. I went and looked and sure enough the floatbox key was missing. I KNOW I didn't remove it but it was gone. Another "little" bug?
Walt

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums