Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 13 Aug 17, 15:24 Last Post By: MarkusD Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

HTML-capable editor for the comment field
Posted: 12 Aug 17, 17:23
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

over the years I wrote more and more detailed comments to not necessarily the pictures but to the folders. And I use more and more HTML-code. Because I have no knowledge in HTML at all I do the coding in Notepad++ and if it looks ok I copy&paste the code into the comment field in JA, see attached screen shots.

When I alter some of the skin files I realized that there is a built-in HTML editor in JA.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use that component also for the comment field in JA? TIA, Markus
JeffTucker

Re: HTML-capable editor for the comment field
Posted: 12 Aug 17, 17:50   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
This has come up a few times in the past, without a real resolution, but I'm having trouble finding the threads. Here's one:

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51493

Now it comes back to me - David took a run at doing this for jAlbum 13.4, and there was a long discussion about it in the Admin Corner of the forums. Lots of problems, including obsolete HTML (with things like <font> tags), and the problem of collisions with skins (HTML in comment specifies font size, skin specifies font size for comments). It got put on the back burner, and left to simmer.

(Anyone with moderator access, look in the Admin Corner, last post in the thread was 26-Nov-2016).
MarkusD

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 18:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
I assume that I couldn't make clear what I'm looking for. I don't want a WYSIWYG editor for the comment field, just a editor which is able to show the code like the "jAlbum Textpad" (using the text editor engine RSyntaxTextArea), see screen shot. I don't know how you call that, syntax highlighting maybe.
mrag

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 19:14   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Did Jeff already reference this thread?

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51727&start=0&tstart=0

RobM kind of lives to make little tools. Perhaps he can tweak his to better meet your needs.
MarkusD

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 19:28   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Going to this thread I get "Error: you do not have permission to view the requested forum or category." Only for admins eyes. ;-)

But I read the thread http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51493 , yes. But I haven't checked Robs tool yet, will do it now.

Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 19:50   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
I assume that I couldn't make clear what I'm looking for. I don't want a WYSIWYG editor for the comment field, just a editor which is able to show the code like the "jAlbum Textpad" (using the text editor engine RSyntaxTextArea), see screen shot. I don't know how you call that, syntax highlighting maybe.

Yes, there are all sorts of different possibilities, including the "give me a quick way to set the text to bold or italic" kind of editor.

You already do have access to the jAlbum Textpad - just launch it with CTRL-E, enter your text, then copy and paste it into the comment field.
MarkusD

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
You already do have access to the jAlbum Textpad - just launch it with CTRL-E, enter your text, then copy and paste it into the comment field.
Doing that, the editor is not smart enough to do the correct highlighting, which is what I'm looking for. You can see in the screen shot that when I open my htt.file the highlighting works just fine (left pane, saying "Mode text/jsp"). When I copy&paste the text to a new window (opened with <Ctrl><E>) its just like plain text and no highlighting at all, (right pane, saying "Mode text/plain"). But it seems there is no way to change the "Mode text/plain" to "Mode text/jsp" by hand.
RobM

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:19   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
jGromit wrote:
Doing that, the editor is not smart enough to do the correct highlighting, which is what I'm looking for. You can see in the screen shot that when I open my htt.file the highlighting works just fine (left pane, saying "Mode text/jsp"). When I copy&paste the text to a new window (opened with <Ctrl><E>) its just like plain text and no highlighting at all, (right pane, saying "Mode text/plain"). But it seems there is no way to change the "Mode text/plain" to "Mode text/jsp" by hand.
I'm guessing that is because the file has not been saved with an extension, like .html or .js
JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:19   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Actually, the jAlbum Textpad doesn't know much about HTML at all. The tags are highlighted, but there's no logic for matching opening tags with closing tags, for example, which might be handy.

Tough to say what would be most useful for most users....
MarkusD

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I'm guessing that is because the file has not been saved with an extension, like .html or .js
Yes, I just opened the editor and pasted the text, didn't saved the file.
MarkusD

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
Actually, the jAlbum Textpad doesn't know much about HTML at all. The tags are highlighted, but there's no logic for matching opening tags with closing tags, for example,
Ahh, OK. ;-) I haven't realized that yet.

which might be handy.
That is definitely the main reason I use the Notepad++, because it shows error in the code.

I agree.
RobM

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 20:52   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
jGromit wrote:
Actually, the jAlbum Textpad doesn't know much about HTML at all. The tags are highlighted, but there's no logic for matching opening tags with closing tags, for example,

which might be handy.
That is definitely the main reason I use the Notepad++, because it shows error in the code.

I agree.
Maybe a right-click that offers an 'Edit with…' menu option that when selected selects and copies all of the text in the field and then opens up a selected text editor, ready for you to paste in the text. After editing you could copy the text back to the clipboard and just paste it back, overwriting the selected text.
mrag

Posted: 12 Aug 17, 23:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Are we only talking editing "comments?" Maybe we could have an example "comment?" The last time the idea of an incorporated HTML editor came up I think we kind of got carried away when something relatively simple was all that was required (or would have worked back then).
MarkusD

Posted: 13 Aug 17, 01:27   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Attachment meta.properties (6.5 KB)
mrag wrote:
Are we only talking editing "comments?"
Yes.

Maybe we could have an example "comment?"
See attached file. You can see the command in action here.
MarkusD

Posted: 13 Aug 17, 01:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
jGromit wrote:

which might be handy.

I agree.
Maybe a right-click that offers an 'Edit with…' menu option that when selected selects and copies all of the text in the field and then opens up a selected text editor, ready for you to paste in the text. After editing you could copy the text back to the clipboard and just paste it back, overwriting the selected text.
That sound too time consuming to me. In this case doing the whole editing in a HTML-capable editor like Notepad++ would be still the better way, I think.

But, to extend the current menu when you right click in the command pane with entries like:
<b>bold</b>
<i>italics</i>
<em>Renders as emphasized text</em>
<strong>Defines important text</strong>
<p>Add a paragraph</p>
etc...

would be a very good idea.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums