This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 19 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 01-Nov-2019 10:13 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John-Simpson

Lost recent Project list when JAlbum stopped working.
Posted: 02-Feb-2017 21:30

Click to reply to this thread Reply
This may be totally random but thought I had better mention it incase it occurs to others.

I've had a couple of occasions when JAlbum just stopped working and report goes of to Microsoft. I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but I typically have quiet a few programmes running at the same time. Anyway on opening JAlbum again all my recent projects list had gone. Not too much of a problem because I can open up the project files and rebuild my list.

I just can't understand how it happened. After loading up one project I've just checked recent-projects.txt and only one project is listed. Of course I could restore recent-projects.txt from my backup disk - but it still shouldn't happen.

Is there a short cut key that delete all recent projects? Maybe I pressed that by mistake.

Using Windows 10 and Gromit skin on almost all albums.
RobM

Re: Lost recent Project list when JAlbum stopped working.
Posted: 02-Feb-2017 22:54   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
John-Simpson wrote:
Is there a short cut key that delete all recent projects? Maybe I pressed that by mistake.
No keyboard shortcut but there is the 'Clear list' option in the menu (Menu/File/Open recent album project/ last selection is clear list).
Not too much of a problem because I can open up the project files and rebuild my list.
There is also the reset recent projects tool which can be edited to include all of your commonly used projects, forum post
John-Simpson

Posted: 03-Feb-2017 10:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thank you Rob, I had seen the clear list in the menu drop down lists, but I'm fairly certain that didn't happen.

I asked about the shortcut key, because on my new keyboard the Fn (Function Key) is bottom left where the Ctrl button should be and I'm always pressing it by mistake.

I'll leave this question open for a while and see if it happens again
RobM

Posted: 03-Feb-2017 10:47   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:
Thank you Rob, I had seen the clear list in the menu drop down lists, but I'm fairly certain that didn't happen.

I asked about the shortcut key, because on my new keyboard the Fn (Function Key) is bottom left where the Ctrl button should be and I'm always pressing it by mistake.

I'll leave this question open for a while and see if it happens again

For future reference you can find all of the keyboard shortcuts listed here.
They are listed by function and by keystroke.
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Feb-2017 13:47   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Correct
On rare occasions we still get reports that the recent projects list has become cleared. It's unfortunately still a mystery to me how this happens. Luckily no real data is lost. You can re-populate the list by dropping project folders onto jAlbum.
John-Simpson

Posted: 17-Apr-2017 19:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

It has happened again about 2 days ago! I can't find a common factor.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Apr-2017 15:15   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

Thanks for reporting. As soon as anyone can provide steps how to reproduce this one consistently, I can also fix it.
jGromit

Posted: 18-Apr-2017 15:40   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

John-Simpson wrote:
It has happened again about 2 days ago! I can't find a common factor.

I've never seen this happen, and I really beat on jAlbum, with all the skin testing I do. But one thing does occur to me. Are your projects stored somewhere other than the C: drive? If so, if the drive letters change, that could cause all of the "recent projects" to vanish, since jAlbum would no longer know where to look for them.

If this happens again (in fact, you could even do this now), open your config directory - Tools, Open directories, Config directory - and take a look in the recent-projects.txt file. See if the album projects are actually still at the locations listed in there.
John-Simpson

Posted: 19-Apr-2017 17:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The AppData/Roaming/JAlbum/recent-projects.txt was deleted/emptied and is now being repopulated.

See:

C:\Users\tojoh\Documents\My Web Sites\Legs\LEGS-Misc\jalbum-setting-miscs.jap
C:\Users\tojoh\Documents\My Web Sites\Legs\LEGS-Memo\jalbum-settings-memo.jap
C:\Users\tojoh\Documents\My Web Sites\Legs\LEGS-Photo_Album\legs_Photo-Album.jap
C:\Users\tojoh\Documents\My Web Sites\Legs\LEGS-schoolpic\jalbum-schoolpic.jap

Notice that I store in 'My Web Site' folder instead of the ALBUMS folder that was introduced some time ago.

I might try putting all my album projects in there because it always seams to want to default to there.

Other than that, I've got a strange keyboard that has the Fn key where Ctrl should be and I keep pressing that in error and getting a shortcut come up when using other programs.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2017 17:40   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
John-Simpson wrote:
The AppData/Roaming/JAlbum/recent-projects.txt was deleted/emptied and is now being repopulated.

All looks perfectly innocent.

Notice that I store in 'My Web Site' folder instead of the ALBUMS folder that was introduced some time ago.

I store my working test projects elsewhere, and have that set as the "My albums" location, just to keep things simple, so what you're doing shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're not directing the album outputs to the image directories, instead of to a subdirectory of the image directory. That could definitely cause some bizarre problems.

Other than that, I've got a strange keyboard that has the Fn key where Ctrl should be and I keep pressing that in error and getting a shortcut come up when using other programs.

AFAIK, there's no keyboard shortcut for "clear the list," so your keyboard doesn't seem like a good candidate.

Well, if it happens again, time to open the recent-projects.txt file and see if there's anything weird in there.

BTW, under Tools, Preferences, General, what's your setting for Recent projects?

Edited by: jGromit for clarity about directory locations.
John-Simpson

Posted: 19-Apr-2017 19:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Capture.JPG (78.0 KB)
See Screen shot of what you asked for. 50 is well over what I need. I'm sure these are just the JAlbum default settings.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Apr-2017 19:37   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

Yeah, I think that's the current default. I was just wondering if there was maybe some weird misbehavior tied to using zero, which should mean "keep the entire list, no matter how long it is."

Just playing long-shot hunches at this point....
John-Simpson

Posted: 20-Apr-2017 13:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment recent-projects.txt (592 bytes)
Just as a matter of interest, I looked back on my PC backup drive and this folder dated 27 Feb shows the recent files at that time. It was still not fully populated from the last time I lost my recent projects list!

The Generated Web site (output directory) always goes into a separate folder to the IMAGE directory, which contains images and the JAlbum Settings.

I think it will remain a mystery until it happens to one of the JAlbum experts.

I don't have a long list of projects so it is not a big problem for me to repopulate.
MarieCobb

Posted: 27-Oct-2018 12:28   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

This just happened to me. I had a list of projects that we add images to that was in the jalbum program. We restarted the computer yesterday at an event and the list was gone when we opened jalbum. I finally found how to repopulate the projects by opening each one. But why did this happen?
jGromit

Posted: 27-Oct-2018 15:10   in response to: MarieCobb in response to: MarieCobb

The list of recent projects is kept in your config directory in a file called, not surprisingly, recent-projects.txt. To see your config directory, from within jAlbum, choose Tools, Open directories, Config directory. If that file is deleted or damaged, that would cause the list to vanish.

There is also a menu choice within the application that will clear the list - take a look at File, Open Recent Album Project, <<Clear list >>.

In a multi-user operating system, it would also disappear if you logged into the machine with a different account, since the config directory is per-user.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums