This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Aug-2020 11:57 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John-Simpson

Edit image in external editor
Posted: 15-Dec-2016 23:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
On my old computer I used to edit some photos in an external editor and as I recall I right click an image thumbnail and choose open with Photoshop. I'm now on a new PC and went to OPEN WITH but unfortunately put in the wrong file path and now can't see how to change it. I'm sure this is really simple but looked in JALBUM preferences but could see where to change. Of course I could just open the image directory but in large photo collections it can take a while finding it in file. This was dead useful.
JeffTucker

Re: Edit image in external editor
Posted: 15-Dec-2016 23:40   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
A familiar problem! I don't think is documented anywhere, so no penalty points for not finding it. ;)

Right-click on a thumbnail, then ALT-click on the existing "Open with..." entry. That will let you navigate to a new executable.

Edit: It's a little tricky. Hold down ALT, right-click on a thumbnail, then move your mouse down to the "Open with..." entry - it won't actually be highlighted (the highlight gets stuck on Comment), but go ahead and click anyway.

Edited by: jGromit on 15-Dec-2016 17:40
JeffTucker

Posted: 15-Dec-2016 23:47   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

BTW, there's a whole agonizing thread about this, complete with various cross-platform peculiarities: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=51803

Let's just say that this functionality is not particularly robust.
John-Simpson

Posted: 15-Dec-2016 23:52   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

So glad there are no penalty points. I think I need a clear fresh head so will try tomorrow morning UK time. It is now bed time. Thanks once again Gromit.
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 00:25   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson

Sorry, but you have both just been given a "Yellow Card" ;)
See Help/Explore: Contextual Menus, On thumbnails
Open with: Opens a navigation window so you can select an appropriate application to open the selected file. To choose a different application choose 'More' then hold down ALT/Opt then select 'Open with (current application)'. A new File chooser will appear that will let you choose a different application.
mrag

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 05:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I think we need more yellow cards, but whatever.

I use another "tool" which involves opening a preview in a different browser. Say one normally previews in Firefox, the tool can make it "easier" to open a second preview such as Chrome. Edge of course already uses Trump's advanced encryption technology so it can NOT be readily used by normal people (but since it sucks as a browser anyway, who cares).

The point being, if you store this "tool" in the config file: Tools > Open directories > Config directory, the tool will NOT normally* be erased when updating jAlbum.

Maybe this Config file thing might work with "Open with" as I do not have a clue where Open with is normally stored. (and note, you can have more than one 'Open with' say for two or more different editors. Just sayin'
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 08:54   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Helpful
Yes, you can have several "OpenWith" installed. The default one is located under the "ext" folder of jAlbum's program folder. To have several, copy the "OpenWith.jaext" file to the "ext" folder of jAlbum's config folder and rename it to "SecondOpenWith.jaext" for instance.

Anyway, I actually wanted to pitch in that you can now also drag and drop images from jAlbum straight onto PhotoShop instead of using the OpenWith feature.
John-Simpson

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 16:13   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks Gromit that worked for me. The method is not intuitive though, which makes me think it is bad design. I guess not many use this function so when it comes to altering the external editor path, then that is even less likely to occur.

I actually do use the jAlbum image editor for simple image enhancements, but use an external editor for more refinements.

I've now tested the new Drag and Drop feature suggested by David Ekholm and that works too and sort of makes the OPEN WITH superfluous. Although it is slightly quicker to use OPEN WITH if you haven't got Photoshop or other well known editor programs already open.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
mrag

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 19:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Very interesting that we can drag and drop to PhotoShop. Doesn't seem to work with Irfanview, but for my needs, I'm very happy using OpenWith.

Perhaps to really close out this thread, we need mention "refresh." Further details at:
Removed broken link, original post deleted

Edited by: RobM on 11-Aug-2020 10:52
RobM

Posted: 16-Dec-2016 20:11   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
Perhaps to really close out this thread, we need mention "refresh." Further details ...
Or
Refresh, Explore help, under The toolbar.
Refresh Menus help
Drag & drop Explore help, under Selecting Files.
Remember too that the help files are searchable :)
linuxrog

Posted: 11-Aug-2020 01:02   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

Dead thread! Link goes nowhere.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums