This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Jan-2019 14:40 Last Post By: Vetmeduni
calun

Prevent album form being indexed at Google
Posted: 28-Aug-2016 15:42

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi

My album is placed on a webserver at one.com, where I have made an index.html that does not link to my album. In order to get to my album you need to know the exact link www.something.dk/carsten

But this has been picked up by Google and indexed, hvow do I avoid that?

Thanks a lot.

Carsten
jGromit

Re: Prevent album form being indexed at Google
Posted: 28-Aug-2016 15:54   in response to: calun in response to: calun

Insert this line into the <head> section of the index page of the album:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">
Depending upon which skin you're using, the skin may provide a way of entering this in the settings, and having it inserted automatically. Otherwise, you'll have to edit the album page manually.

In Turtle, you've got a problem. The skin is forcing the opposite:
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow">
I can't imagine why (I hate it when software decides to "do me a favor"). The best fix is to edit the skin's template files - Tools, Skin developer, Edit skin files - and change line 30 of the page-header.inc file. Just remember to repeat this if you install a new version of the skin.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 21:45   in response to: calun in response to: calun

calun wrote:
My album is placed on a web server at one.com, where I have made an index.html that does not link to my album. In order to get to my album you need to know the exact link www.something.dk/carsten But this has been picked up by Google and indexed, how do I avoid that?

I am doing what Google recommends: put a single file named robots.txt into the root directory of your website with the following contents:
#
# robots.txt for karlmistelberger.jalbum.net
#

User-agent: *
Disallow: / 
You do the above once and never need to worry again.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard#Examples
jGromit

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 21:47   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Yes, that should also work.

Just remember that ill-behaved robots will ignore both the robots.txt file and the meta tag. Google honors them, but others do not.
KeesSnepvangers

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 21:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

From my experince I can say if your skin doesn't use a lightbox to present the pictures this trick doesn't work if you have an option in your album to share pictures on the social networks.

The moment you share a picture the bots of the social networks come. Not through the frontdoor (index.html) but through the url which has been shared on the social media. And from there they follow every link, for example to the next picture, they can find.

My experience is that first the bots of the social networks find my pictures. After that the Google bots come.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 22:11   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
I am doing what Google recommends: put a single file named robots.txt into the root directory of your website....

Just one problem. Turtle outputs a robots.txt that explicitly allows access to all robots! Turtle really, really wants you to get your album indexed.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 22:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:
I am doing what Google recommends: put a single file named robots.txt into the root directory of your website....

Just one problem. Turtle outputs a robots.txt that explicitly allows access to all robots! Turtle really, really wants you to get your album indexed.

Yes, it does. But this does not matter in most cases when this occurs in a subfolder:

The latter superseds the former. You are always better off with putting your album in a subfolder.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Aug-2016 22:27   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Please re-read the original post.

If Google has found the subdirectory already, and there's no link from the domain root to the album subdirectory, a robots.txt at the root isn't going to do any good at all - Google will never even see it. It will arrive directly at the album subdirectory, see the robots.txt that Turtle has placed there, and will then index the album.
calun

Posted: 11-Sep-2016 19:38   in response to: calun in response to: calun

Hey

Thanks all for helping, everything was accurate (even the reference to the specific code line :-)).

I have not made tha changes you suggest, hope they work!

Carsten

Edited by: calun on 11-Sep-2016 19:38
Vetmeduni

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 12:59   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Hallo Karl,
Ich habe diesen Thread gefunden und hätte auch Fragen zum selben Thema:
wir haben das selbe Problem: Turtle-Alben, die auf unseren eigenen Webservern liegen und nicht indiziert werden sollten, aber es immer wieder werden.
Ich hätte auch die Vermutung, dass wenn man auf dem Webserver einen die Indizierung betreffenden Eintrag wie <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,FOLLOW"> macht, dieser beim nächsten Aktualisieren (rausschreiben der Webgalerie über Jalbum Turtle) wieder auf den Standard abgeändert wird.
Ist das Problem dauerhaft lösbar?

Danke und LG
Michael
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 13:08   in response to: Vetmeduni in response to: Vetmeduni

Some skins have this option built-in - all of my skins do, for example.

In Turtle, this is not a built-in option. But you can edit the skin template files to insert that meta tag. In jAlbum, choose Turtle, then choose Tools, Skin developer, Edit skin files. Edit the page-header.inc file, and insert the meta robots tag.

This will apply to every album you make with Turtle. If you install a new version of Turtle, you will have to make the same edit again. But active development of Turtle has come to an end - there hasn't been a new version in over 8 months. So you will not have to make this change frequently.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 20:38   in response to: Vetmeduni in response to: Vetmeduni

Vetmeduni wrote:
Hallo Karl,
Ich habe diesen Thread gefunden und hätte auch Fragen zum selben Thema:
wir haben das selbe Problem: Turtle-Alben, die auf unseren eigenen Webservern liegen und nicht indiziert werden sollten, aber es immer wieder werden.
Ich hätte auch die Vermutung, dass wenn man auf dem Webserver einen die Indizierung betreffenden Eintrag wie <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX,FOLLOW"> macht, dieser beim nächsten Aktualisieren (rausschreiben der Webgalerie über Jalbum Turtle) wieder auf den Standard abgeändert wird.

Switched from Turtle to Tiger, so I don't know about the former. There is Settings > Tiger > Custom Code > Head.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 21:50   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Yes, that should work in either skin, and will be saved with the project. So, on the one hand, you'd have to put it into each album project, but a skin update wouldn't erase it. On the other hand, editing the template file would automatically apply to every album you create. Tough choice. :)
Vetmeduni

Posted: 04-Jan-2019 14:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

thx, the opportunity is to us internal servers to hide and protect special galleries ;-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums