Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 14-Apr-2018 11:34 Last Post By: davidekholm
ctwist

Project settings are not always loaded
Posted: 28-Jul-2015 00:52
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
If I open a project immediately after jAlbum 12.7.3 starts, the project settings are not loaded. These are the steps.
  • The default skin is Mirage. When I open jAlbum, it shows a message "Loading skin Mirage...".
  • While Mirage is loading, I open project "BPP Test" which uses the BluPlusPlus skin.
  • I open the BluPlusBlus settings, and all the values are empty (first attachment).
  • I close the project and re-open it. I open the settings. The values are populated (second attachment).
  • If I wait for Mirage to finish loading and then I open BPP Test, the settings are populated.
davidekholm

Re: Project settings are not always loaded
Posted: 03-Aug-2015 18:17   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
Thanks for reporting. I'll see what can be done about it, but such timing critical errors can be tricky to track down. The root problem is that skin settings are loaded in the background. Loading them in the foreground would lock the UI from all operations and may be more irritating.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Aug-2015 06:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Given the weird problems one encounters while trying to interact with a partially-loaded skin, I think I'd vote for loading the skin in the foreground, and preventing the user from doing anything until it's ready.
jGromit

Posted: 18-Aug-2015 13:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I'm now running into this problem frequently - it seems to be worse in jAlbum 13a than it was in jAlbum 12. If you open the settings panel while the project is still loading, you get the default settings, rather than the saved project settings.

Load those settings in the foreground!
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Aug-2015 12:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I'm now running into this problem frequently - it seems to be worse in jAlbum 13a than it was in jAlbum 12. If you open the settings panel while the project is still loading, you get the default settings, rather than the saved project settings.

Load those settings in the foreground!

Doesn't the settings change to reflect the project's settings once the loading is done?
jGromit

Posted: 20-Aug-2015 15:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Doesn't the settings change to reflect the project's settings once the loading is done?

No, it doesn't.

This also might explain the problems reported by a couple of my Matrix users, who swear up and down that when they re-open a project, some of their settings have reverted to defaults. I was never able to reproduce it, but now I suspect that it occurs only on a slower machine, where it's easy to "beat the loader to the punch," if you will, and start trying to interact with the settings before they're fully loaded.

I've started seeing it in the Minimal RC, probably because it's using some anonymous inner classes - long ago, TomCee and I discovered that BeanShell is really slow in that circumstance. Any more settings panels in Minimal, and it would be time to start compiling the UI, even though that would make it tough for novices to play with.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Aug-2015 16:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Another data point... My Matrix user who's been seeing this on-and-off for years most often runs into it when she has the integrated browser preview open, and selects another project from the left-hand pane. The project loads and the preview is showing at least some default options instead of the saved options!
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Aug-2015 09:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Thanks for the data on this. I'll see what can be done about it.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jan-2017 15:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I don't like to resurrect old threads, but ctwist, are you still able to produce this problem?

I haven't heard any user complaints about it in a while, and have never been able to reproduce it myself.

Edit: Just answered my own question. I can, indeed, reproduce this problem, quite easily, and repeatedly. Save a slow-loading skin like CA2 as the default. Start a new project with BPP, and save it (no need to make an album). Now do a quick CTRL-W, CTRL-1. The BPP project opens without its settings.

But oddly, I can do it only when the saved project is using BPP. I'm testing with CA2 as the default, since that has a user interface that's fairly slow-loading (it's not compiled). If the saved project is any skin other than BPP, the problem doesn't appear. Puzzled....

EditEdit: A couple more data points. With Gromit as the default skin, I can reproduce the problem with a BPP saved project. The Gromit UI is compiled, and reasonably fast. But if I make my own compiled-UI version of Minimal the default skin, which loads almost instantly, I can't beat it to the punch - the BPP saved project always comes up with its settings fully populated. So yes, it's a timing issue, but it still seems to be confined to BPP.
ctwist

Posted: 01-Sep-2017 23:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
This problem does not just occur in BPP. I have also replicated it in ExhibitPlus & jAlbum 14.1.10.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Sep-2017 23:28   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
ctwist wrote:
This problem does not just occur in BPP. I have also replicated it in ExhibitPlus & jAlbum 14.1.10.

And there are signs of it elsewhere. http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=319545#319545

I know that locking processing threads is considered poor form in Java, but this is a case in which it really needs to happen. Skin loading and project loading simply must be protected from other stuff happening at the same time. Efficiency, be damned - I'll take reliability over efficiency any day.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 02-Sep-2017 07:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
I know that locking processing threads is considered poor form in Java, but this is a case in which it really needs to happen. Skin loading and project loading simply must be protected from other stuff happening at the same time. Efficiency, be damned - I'll take reliability over efficiency any day.

Manufacturers of many appliances want their products to give the impression they are fast. Resetting the trip and track data of a GPS device requires several key presses and works reliably thousands of times when done at moderate speed.

However when pressing the keys too fast reset gets confused and you may happen to leave your home at speed Mach 3+ (4,000km/h) according to the built in trip computer.

I am guessing that clicking away too fast jAlbum caused the problems on the first build of an album in the past few months.

jAlbum should lock up until initialization is done. If that causes a noticeable wait you will run in more problems during the build anyway.
davidekholm

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 12:35   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Please try the 14.1.11 core update. I think I've been able to fix this bug that manifests when quickly closing and reopening a project now. I hope the fix doesn't introduce unwanted side effects. A possible side effect could be that one gets a "save changes?" warning even though no changes have been made. I haven't been able to trigger such a problem though.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 12:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Please try the 14.1.11 core update. I think I've been able to fix this bug that manifests when quickly closing and reopening a project now. I hope the fix doesn't introduce unwanted side effects. A possible side effect could be that one gets a "save changes?" warning even though no changes have been made. I haven't been able to trigger such a problem though.

Installed and made several project without further ado. I got that "save changes?" warning even though no changes have been made earlier, but not with jAlbum 14.1.11.
jGromit

Posted: 04-Sep-2017 14:02   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
This cures the problem I saw in Minimal, with default values reappearing for a JDraggableList if you opened a project too quickly.

But I can still produce the error that ctwist reported in BPP initially, so the cause of that one must be elsewhere.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums