This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 14-May-2018 11:30 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Enlarge panoramic pictures automatically
Posted: 02-Jun-2015 11:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you like to scroll through a panoramic picture, you have to supply image dimensions which are larger as the standard images in the album. To do this, I enlarged the image dimensions of panorama pictures with jAlbum in Edit Image with variable

maxImageWidth=30000

In this thread I proposed to do this this in a more user friendly way via a check-box in a new Panorama custom panel.

However I got no response and I got a better idea in the meantime:

Extend jAlbum so that pictures with a width/height ratio of 2.5 are automatically enlarged as is done if you apply the maxImageWidth=30000 variable.

In the jAlbum preferences it should be possible to switch this on or off and it should be possible to choose another value for the default ratio factor 2.5
davidekholm

Re: Enlarge panoramic pictures automatically
Posted: 02-Jun-2015 13:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I will consider it, but what really makes this better than to just set a size of 30000x800 for instance for all images?
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Jun-2015 18:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

That is OK if most of your pictures are panoramic pictures, but if 90% of your pictures in an album are normal (cropped) pictures, it makes a difference.

For example if your camera delivers normal pictures in a resolution of 4000x3000, you should choose as slide image size the same ratio, so 1067x800. Suppose now that you remove uninteresting foreground and/or air, you can crop a picture to say 4000x2000.
The slide image size becomes then normally 1067x533 which correspondens to the resolution of uncropped images.

With your proposal, the slide image size of the cropped picture becomes 1600x800, which leads to longer loading times as required.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 03-Jun-2015 23:33
Dschuwi

Posted: 03-Jun-2015 10:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I will consider it, but what really makes this better than to just set a size of 30000x800 for instance for all images?

I am not quite sure if this is the same what Andre means ...

... I had such a requirement a while ago: All my pictured are displayed with a size of 720 x 540 px, fitting on any screen nicely. There was one panaramic image only, which I wanted to be the same height (540 px) but something like 4000 px wide - so I wanted this one image only be treated specially. Yes, it would be wider than the screen, making it necessary to scroll horizontally, but that was just the intention.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jun-2015 12:37   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

In Matrix, I face a different problem, requiring a different solution. Which is, of course, why I don't want the jAlbum core program to start doing me any "favors."

In Matrix, a regular image will be fitted to the viewport. So, my default image bounds are large, like 1600x750. Even on a little laptop, the height and width of the slide image will be reduced to accommodate the viewport, so I want to go fairly big, to take care of larger displays.

But panoramics are handled differently. I won't bore you with the details, but these must a fixed height. I don't want these to be 750px tall, because that will be too big for a small display, and the height won't be adjusted to accommodate it. For a pano, I need bounds like 5000x500.

So, for an album that's all panos, bounds of 5000x500 are what you want. But for a mixed album, you don't want to use 5000x500 - the regular images won't be tall enough, and you'll get a worse display. And you can't use 5000x750 - the pano's will be too tall.

I don't think there's any core programmatic adjustment that can take care of this. Users just have to provide bounds on an image-by-image basis if they have mixed content.
AndreWolff

Posted: 03-Jun-2015 17:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I don't think there's any core programmatic adjustment that can take care of this. Users just have to provide bounds on an image-by-image basis if they have mixed content.
I don't agree with you, the proposed solution works fine for Dschuwi and for the Slide Show 4 skin and I think for most other skins which can handle panoramic pictures.

This method is much more user friendly as setting the image size for each panoramic picture and if you don't want to use it you can switch it off.
AndreWolff

Posted: 03-Jun-2015 17:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
So, for an album that's all panos, bounds of 5000x500 are what you want. But for a mixed album, you don't want to use 5000x500 - the regular images won't be tall enough, and you'll get a worse display. And you can't use 5000x750 - the pano's will be too tall.
So if David adds another parameter, the required slide image heigth, it works even for the Matrix skin!
Dschuwi

Posted: 03-Jun-2015 21:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
I don't want the jAlbum core program to start doing me any "favors."

I agree.

Users just have to provide bounds on an image-by-image basis if they have mixed content.

Yes. This could be some feature to be provided by jAlbum.
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Jun-2015 08:22   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

Dschuwi wrote:
Yes. This could be some feature to be provided by jAlbum.
jAlbum has already a feature to handle this via user variables. For a panoramic picture you can add next user variables:
maxImageWidth=30000
maxImageHeight=500
But this is a very unfriendly way to solve this problem.

That's why I proposed to do it automatically, which is a fast and user friendly way to get panoramic pictures enlarged.

I don't understand why you don't want this "favor", if you don't want it to use, you can switch it off.
Dschuwi

Posted: 04-Jun-2015 16:09   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

I don't understand why you don't want this "favor", if you don't want it to use, you can switch it off.

Ok. Whatever is an option that can be turned on or off is fine for me.

I would suggest something like this

• A checkbox "Ignore maxImageWidth value for panoramic pictures
  • A user setting to choose the width-height-ratio which defines a panoramic picture
AndreWolff

Posted: 04-Jun-2015 16:28   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

Dschuwi wrote:
I would suggest something like this

• A checkbox "Ignore maxImageWidth value for panoramic pictures
  • A user setting to choose the width-height-ratio which defines a panoramic picture
I agree, but to make it even more universal for o.a. the Matrix skin I would add:

• Slide image heigth
davidekholm

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 11:32   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

For now I'd suggest that you simply create an image filter that performs the desired scaling/cropping for your skin
AndreWolff

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 21:56   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
For now I'd suggest that you simply create an image filter that performs the desired scaling/cropping for your skin
It is a waste of time if every skin implements his own solution for this skin Independent common problem and it is apparantly useless to propose improvements, because they are never implemented!l
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 22:08   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
... it is apparantly useless to propose improvements, because they are never implemented!l

Rude and insulting. Grow up, or get lost.
AndreWolff

Posted: 09-Jun-2015 09:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Rude and insulting.
No, it is not meant to be insulting, it is a fact: of my 20 proposals for improvements, only one has been implemented. So I am disappointed!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums