Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 8 Jun 13, 19:19 Last Post By: MidTexPhoto Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Dschuwi

Sort order by caption
Posted: 21 May 13, 18:05
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
A feature I could use frequently: Sort images alphabetically by caption/comment.
davidekholm

Re: Sort order by caption
Posted: 22 May 13, 10:18   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
Sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll definitively consider it. Please also outline in what way you find this practical.
Dschuwi

Posted: 22 May 13, 18:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
See the thumbnails in the example, they are sorted by caption text.
Once you are at it, there would be certainly the same justification to also offer a sort order by image title.

http://www.hpb.at/privat/album/keks2012/index.htm

For duplicate captions I suggest the fallback to be the file name, images without captions at all could be placed at the end, sorted by filename.
davidekholm

Posted: 23 May 13, 12:38   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
Dschuwi wrote:
See the thumbnails in the example, they are sorted by caption text.
Once you are at it, there would be certainly the same justification to also offer a sort order by image title.

http://www.hpb.at/privat/album/keks2012/index.htm

For duplicate captions I suggest the fallback to be the file name, images without captions at all could be placed at the end, sorted by filename.

Is there any apparent reason why you don't want to rename the image files to represent the captions? Descriptive file names also makes for better search engine optimization.
Dschuwi

Posted: 23 May 13, 13:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
There are several reasons why renaming might not always be an option:

• Archived files with their names following a certain scheme (file number, archive number etc.)
  • Duplicate Filenames are not allowed
  • Files names might be too long
  • Text with special characters or characters illegal in file names

To mention just some ;-)
MidTexPhoto

Posted: 1 Jun 13, 02:23   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
Hello:

If I may add my 2 cents, please. The ability to sort images by caption is near the top of my wish list for future jAlbums updates. My reasons are very simple (to me at least) and I hope compelling. Dschuwi's reasons are very close, but do not provide the exact reasons it matters to me, thus this note. My working test website is here: http://www.midtexasphoto.com/index2.html

Basically, I settled on a very specific file naming scheme after a bit of research and consideration, based on an excellent article by Calvin Hass on his ImpulseAdventure blog here.

All of my photo files are initially named out of the camera as yyyymmdd_####_00__os_LLL_L#.ext

This is date_seq#_imgver#__size_creator_camera. For example, 20080422_0019_00__os_npl_c4.jpg
This means 22 Apr 2008, 19th image, base version, original size, me, CanonXSi.

When I modify the images in any way, I change the version and size to reflect the change, and size, and I crop off the last part. For example, 20080422_0019_01b_md.jpg

For the samples I post on my site, I use: (C)NPL_20080422_0019_01b_60p.jpg (copyright,inits,date,seq,ver,size)

In addition to the above, I store all of my photos in a folder structure that looks like this:
MyPhotos/yyyymm/##_ContentDescription/ e.g., Photos/200802/22_Bldgs Clifton OH/. This allows me to do simple searches for images by keywords or date, even outside of a program like lightroom.

I know this is a lot of info to answer a simple question, but because of the above, I cannot change the image names and still maintain version control of the images I might sell, share, make new versions of, etc.

Add to this that I want to provide meaningful captions, and that I organize my jAlbum images by content type, and you can see sorting by caption would be very useful. In fact, I am currently sorting by caption manually. I haven't been worried about caption consistency because it hasn't mattered, but if I were able to sort by caption, I would revert to my original plans and make sure it reflected the order I want the images to appear.

Lastly, part of the reason this matters to me is that I also want to keep the same kinds of things together, regardless of where or when I take the image, e.g., all Brown Pelicans together, or all pictures of the Chain Bridge in Budapest, etc. If I want to sort things by date or some other classification, I will create another folder and make copies.

And so, as you'll see if you look at my sample pages, I've already got things worked out nearly the way I want them to look, but it would still be nice if I could just drag new images to the bottom of the folder and sort by caption (or quickly correct a mistaken resort another way).

And that's it. Thank you for your consideration and an otherwise great piece of software!

Cheers,
Nathan
davidekholm

Posted: 5 Jun 13, 12:00   in response to: MidTexPhoto in response to: MidTexPhoto
I've now added the ability to order objects by title and caption too. It required quite a bit of rewriting. I've tested the changes with at least ten skins, but I encourage you to test this one too! To test it, select "Tools->External tools->jAlbum core update". After a restart, the splash screen should now at least read "11.2.7"
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Jun 13, 14:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm

Posted: 5 Jun 13, 20:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
EarlyOut wrote:
I wish this had been addressed:

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=44256

Should I revert to "Custom" image ordering after renaming a file so that the file isn't reordered on the next view update after being refreshed?
JeffTucker

Posted: 6 Jun 13, 05:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I would actually prefer that you give some consideration to my "radical" suggestion - no default ordering at all. Ordering would be triggered only by clicking and dragging, or by right-clicking and choosing name, or date, or camera date, etc. Unless the user takes some action to put the images into a specific order, they stay put - they stay where you dragged them in, or, if you used Add and the file chooser, at the end.
Dschuwi

Posted: 6 Jun 13, 09:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've tested the changes with at least ten skins, but I encourage you to test this one too!

While I don't see what difference a skin could make, I tested it with Classic Aligned 2, works great! Thanks!

However, I just realized that any of the ordering options must be done on a per-folder-basis, so I cannot re-order all images inside a folder structure. Is this intentional?
Dschuwi

Posted: 6 Jun 13, 09:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
EarlyOut wrote:
I would actually prefer that you give some consideration to my "radical" suggestion - no default ordering at all.

I would agree, if a sort order could be applied to ALL images in an album, not only to the currently visible folder.

And I also agree with your statement in the old thread, jAlbum ordering has always been an unpredictable mystery to me, too.
davidekholm

Posted: 8 Jun 13, 18:02   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
I'd like to ditch jAlbum's global image ordering (the one under Preferences), and introduce an "As parent folder" image ordering alternative or simpy have a "Apply to sub-folders" checkbox under View-Order by.
MidTexPhoto

Posted: 8 Jun 13, 19:15   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Good Morning:

Thank you for the attention to this request. I've been following the thread and at this point, I find myself conflicted based on the other posts.

When I first started setting up my first album, I really wanted the sort by caption option because I was having to move a lot of things manually. That was tedious, and even now, I find I'd like to be able to drag images to the bottom of the window and have them go where I want them--but only after I tell it to do that. Basically, regardless of what options I select, I don't want anything to happen automatically or on refreshes. If it did that, I'd lose track of what I'm doing and maybe miss something that got moved before I could get the caption or positioning correct. If things do get sorted automatically, I didn't notice that because I've been set to custom sort since I first decided that was what I needed.

And so, I am only using the custom sort now, since I don't want things rearranged by accident to something else. As above, I also don't want anything to happen until I push the 'go' button, and am ready to observe the changes. A Save should not implement the sort.

As for your last suggestion: 'As parent folder' or an 'Apply to sub-folders' checkbox, I think either would work, but what would happen if I wanted to have one folder (out of 30, say) be ordered differently, e.g., by custom? So, I respectfully suggest the following if it could be done this way:

1. Allow a custom sort for each folder, maybe by using the folder right click menu or by adding another top menu link for Folders to the menu bar (e.g., between Album & Tools, say). This setting would override any global setting, with default to whatever is set globally. The Default setting for all folders would be 'As parent folder'.

2. In the Global settings location (makes no difference to me where that might end up), add the other option: Apply to sub-folders. This would be the default for all, and would be operative unless a different sort setting is established for the subfolder. I can see where this might cause some conflicts, so maybe turning this on would 'reset' all subfolders, with an alert to the user before doing it.

3. Don't sort any new images placed in a folder until a 'go' button is pressed to implement whatever sort options are selected in 1 & 2 above. In other words, any new images would remain where placed until the sort button is pressed (or maybe until the user updates the album).

And that's it for now. I hope it made sense.

Thanks again for your time.
Nathan
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums