This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 21 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 11-Dec-2018 14:46 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
DLMST

Search function and keywords
Posted: 11-Feb-2012 13:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I noticed that a "search" function has been added to the updated Turtle skin. Yahoo!! I'm thrilled about the addition of this function to an already wonderful skin!

I've created a test album and have the "use search box" item checked in the Turtle ui but I can't tell if it searches photo keywords. When I perform a search, I don't get any results back (no screen change occurs). Does the album need to be uploaded to my domain first in order for this to generate results? Also, does the "generate search engine friendly file names" (found in the Jalbum UI) have to be checked for the search function work?

I appreciate your help,
DLMST
Laza

Re: Search function and keywords
Posted: 12-Feb-2012 01:08   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

Hi,

You need to type something in the box and press the magnifying glass icon. A popup window should appear with the results or a message with "not found".

No need to upload to the server - everything is done through javascript. And no need for the "search engine friendly names" too. I must admit I don't really like that feature, because it can produce very ugly file names.

If you do a search in Preview mode, you need wait until the album generation has finished, because the search terms file is closed only at that point. Before that you will end up in a javascript error.

Laza
jGromit

Posted: 12-Feb-2012 03:30   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
And no need for the "search engine friendly names" too. I must admit I don't really like that feature, because it can produce very ugly file names.

It's also got some bugs in it related to case-sensitive file naming that can produce some very weird errors in an album. Best to leave that option alone until David has had a chance to work out some of its problems.
DLMST

Posted: 12-Feb-2012 16:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Wonderful!!! Thank you for the info!!

I just now created an album for preview. The search function is absolutely fantastic!!! I'm so very excited about it! Thank you so much for adding this much desired feature!!!

Cheers,
DLMST
DLMST

Posted: 13-Feb-2012 17:13   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

Hi, I've just noticed that my keywords are not included in the search function results. Am I doing something incorrectly? They do appear in the "image data" box seen below the image on the slide page.

Thanks for your help!
DLMST
Laza

Posted: 13-Feb-2012 22:31   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

The search terms are collected from the "file name" and "caption", so if it appears below the photo, it should be in the search as well. At least in theory. Can you please give me a link to check?
DLMST

Posted: 13-Feb-2012 23:02   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have the album uploaded. You can see a slide from my current album created using version 2.1.10 to see where I have the keywords appearing. I'm using a similar setup with version 2.3.0.

Link: http://www.dstappan.com/2010/Photo_Gallery/Newest%20Releases/index.html#_MG_1080LR3pscs5BWnik006.jpg

What I think is occurring is that the keywords aren't being accessed since they are not part of the "caption". I have the keywords appearing when the viewer clicks the "photographic exif/iptc data" button (which I've renamed to "image data") only.
DLMST

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 21:30   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I've uploaded the album with the search function applied.

Here's the link:
http://www.dstappan.com/2010/Photo_Gallery/

The search does not seem to be pulling the keywords from the photo data. It does pull from the image caption content however.

Short of adding the keywords to the image caption content, is there a way to have the search function include the photo data keywords when it's compiling search term matches?

Thanks for your help. :-)
Laza

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 21:58   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

Sorry, I haven't answered, but found this in the meantime. I haven't put keywords in the search terms because I don't use them, and simply forgot about. I will add them with the next release.

Thanks,
Laza
Laza

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 22:00   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

Congrats for the album, enjoyed a lot!
Laza

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 22:03   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

If you'd like to get rid of the bottom 25px bar, just turn off the Include jAlbum widget support on the Settings / Advanced / Metadata page.
DLMST

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 22:12   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

That would be wonderful!! :-)
DLMST

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 22:13   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Re: my album ... Thank you for your kind words! :-)
DLMST

Posted: 15-Feb-2012 22:15   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

About that bar, hmmm, I do have "include Jalbum widget support" unchecked.
DLMST

Posted: 14-Mar-2012 19:41   in response to: DLMST in response to: DLMST

Hi Laza, I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely love the new search feature update!!! It works smoothly and the results look terrific! Thanks so very much!!! - DLMST
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums