This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 40 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] - Last Post: 20 Jun 13, 17:11 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: Image Filters - line, arrow, paint brush tool
Posted: 18 Jun 13, 00:39   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The lightning strike I envisioned was just a stylised 'bolt', a few zig zag lines like . But really I guess since it was Mrag that started all this, if he's happy with what you have done, and he should be ;) , then you could consider it job done. Since you have shown the way, there is nothing stopping anyone else from following (although for me, X11 and compiling source code - FontFoundry- is too much hassle :( ).
jimberry

Posted: 18 Jun 13, 14:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

FontForge was a quick installation from Ubuntu Software Centre, no compilation required (should be available for Mac as well, but if you don't need it, you don't need it).

And mrag hasn't been back, so maybe it's a dead horse anyway ;-)

No problem - much could be done with existing fonts anyway, as it turns out.
So it goes.
RobM

Posted: 18 Jun 13, 16:35   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I tried to find a Mac binary, but there are non available which is a pity as I'd like to have a go.
I have run X11 in the past and compiled from source, but often the results look like you are running Windows! :(
RobM

Posted: 18 Jun 13, 19:03   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

A free online font maker http://fontstruct.com/, no compiling required!
Example http://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/bubble_lab_ij but you need to sign up for an account to see it.
mrag

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 03:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I've been watching the thread although you both might have gotten a bit ahead of me. I figured to lie low until all the hard work was done. From my end, I have tested PhotoFiltre7 and PhotoScape which in theory anyway are a tad more sophisticated than my personal favorite Irfanview . Neither fire up near as fast as Irfanview, but if you want crisper arrows and a variety of bubbles, PhotoScape seems the intuitive winner.

I really just want a SIMPLE way of pointing out in a photo in the jAlbum Edit window "this is my buddy Jim fishing and this is his friendly bird."
jimberry

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 09:07   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
I really just want a SIMPLE way of pointing out in a photo in the jAlbum Edit window "this is my buddy Jim fishing and this is his friendly bird."

Just in case you missed it Ceci n est pas Jim

Does IrfanView fire up as fast as jAlbum Text filter? ;-)
Just in case you missed it from the earlier posts, check the other slides in that album, which show how you can point and comment with arrows and/or speech bubbles using only the jAlbum Text filter - no need for any third party applications. Isn't that better than PhotoFiltre7, PhotoScape, Photoshop, Corel Draw, FireWorks or (dare I suggest it) Irfanview?
What could be simpler than that? ;-)

mrag wrote:
And for what it's worth, Irfanview has lousy arrows.

How about these arrows ?

mrag

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 10:08   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Yes, I saw the samples and even downloaded the jAlbumsymbols ttf font and installed it. But it is not useable. It's jibberish on my Vista system. What am I doing wrong or perhaps what should I be doing to be able to put an arrow and text bubble on an image?
jimberry

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 10:43   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Helpful
Try it in a decent OS ;-)

I must admit I haven't tried it on Windows 7 yet.

There are only 12 symbols so far, replacing bBtT with Speech bubbles and Thought bubbles, and replacing dD uU lL rR with arrows pointing N NE E SE S SW W and NW.

So if from jAlbum Text Filter you select jAlbumSymbols font and type
bBtT
dDuUlLrL
you should see the appropriate symbols on the image.

If you can't get jAlbumSymbols to work on Vista, try PWNewArrows

Do any of the arrows in the sample album qualify as "non-lousy" ?
mrag

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 15:04   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Attachment pt3.jpg (82.3 KB)
Attachment jAlbumSymbols.ttf (4.0 KB)
Ah ha! After installing your font named jAlbumSymbols and restarting jAlbum and then using my special decoder ring and your message above, I opened an image in Edit mode and selected the Text tool. I then entered 'j' in the 'font' selection box and presto, jAlbum Symbols appeared as my font selection. That's important to know as I apparently have over 400 fonts installed and scrolling through them is time consuming.

I then entered a 't' in the text box and had a small cloud appear on my image. I changed the 'text color' (to white) and the font 'size' (to 100) and I had a big 'thought cloud' on my image. I did the same type of thing using a 'U' to get an arrow and then just the regular text methods to finish the job as seen in attachment pt3.jpg.

That's pretty cool.

JimBerry wrote:
So if from jAlbum Text Filter you select jAlbumSymbols font and type
bBtT
dDuUlLrL
you should see the appropriate symbols on the image.
jimberry

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 15:55   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

Yes. Unfortunately, in Ubuntu and perhaps also in Windows, the available fonts are shown using the font itself, which means that the names of symbol fonts are unreadable, but the text box is predictive as you discovered, and the tooltip gives the name in a readable font.

If you find this solution usable and have some ideas for different arrows or other symbols I can possibly be bribed to implement them ;-). I might also be persuaded to change the key assignations.

(Where did the oval surrounding the font selection come from?).

You might also like to experiment with the "shadow" option for the text filter when text is to be displayed on a busy background.

Edited by: jimberry on 21-Jun-2013 00:07
jimberry

Posted: 20 Jun 13, 17:11   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Also, for another comprehensive set of icons, check out http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/
(for download)
and
http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/
(for cheatsheet)

(try cutting and pasting these characters
 )
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums