This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 40 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 20 Jun 13, 17:11 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jimberry

Re: Image Filters - line, arrow, paint brush tool
Posted: 13 Jun 13, 01:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
It is not a limitation of Java as I can see Zapf Dingbats in the list of fonts in the image edit Text Filter (Mac OS X)..
Then maybe it's a limitation of the Windows and Linux Java VMs. I can use dingbats fonts in other software, but not in jAlbum. (see the attachment in my earlier post - that image, using WingDings3 font, was created with Libreoffice Draw),
RobM

Posted: 13 Jun 13, 01:47   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Can't you use the Windows equivalent of the Caracter Viewer, the Character Map?
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Jun 13, 01:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Attachment webdings.jpg (142.4 KB)
Doesn't work in Windows/jAlbum. See the attached screenshot. I can copy a Webdings character, but inserting into the text editing tool produces placeholders.
jimberry

Posted: 13 Jun 13, 04:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
It is not a limitation of Java as I can see Zapf Dingbats in the list of fonts in the image edit Text Filter (Mac OS X).
I can see various dingbats fonts in the font list, but the font names are just shown as placeholder rectangles, and the characters can not be used in the Text filter.
Are you saying that on Mac OS X you can insert dingbat characters into the image?

Special characters from the Character Map are fine but limited, Availability of various dingbats fonts would allow the use of speech balloons and a wider range of arrows that are not available as "special characters".
RobM

Posted: 13 Jun 13, 17:48   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Are you saying that on Mac OS X you can insert dingbat characters into the image?
Special characters from the Character Map are fine but limited, Availability of various dingbats fonts would allow the use of speech balloons and a wider range of arrows that are not available as "special characters".
Yes, in Mac OS you can insert any character from any font that is installed, at least I have not found one that doesn't work with jAlbum.
RobM

Posted: 13 Jun 13, 18:10   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Just downloaded some text speech bubble fonts, will try them tonight.
RobM

Posted: 14 Jun 13, 01:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Attachment komika bubbles font.png (210.6 KB)
Attachment with text.png (252.4 KB)
Attachment empty box.png (320.6 KB)
I just tried Dingbats/Webdings fonts and they don't work with the Character Viewer, neither do emoji and some other fonts.

I have found another way to make your own 'text boxes' by using box drawing fonts and I found a font http://www.fontspace.com/apostrophic-lab/komika-bubbles that works and produces text bubbles from the keyboard. The only problem with the latter is I don't know how to change the font size to make the bubbles bigger! See attached images for more.
jimberry

Posted: 14 Jun 13, 03:35   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
... I found a font http://www.fontspace.com/apostrophic-lab/komika-bubbles that works and produces text bubbles from the keyboard. The only problem with the latter is I don't know how to change the font size to make the bubbles bigger! See attached images for more.
Thanks for finding that font. It seems like the best option so far. There is a font size selector in the jAlbum Text filter, perhaps you need to use the scroll bar to see it.

A white fill for the bubble would have been nice. I'll investigate whether I can create such a font.

Here is an example album with a large size speech bubble

Edited by: jimberry on 14-Jun-2013 12:03
jimberry

Posted: 15 Jun 13, 15:58   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I have downloaded the FontForge application and have tried creating a few glyphs.

The speech bubbles are solid shapes rather than outlines, so they don't have the transparent effect evident in the "Komica bubbles" font.

Here is how the glyphs can be formatted when the new font is used in LibreOffice Draw or Writer

To see how jalbum can use the font with the Text filter, see the revised sample album at http://jimberry.jalbum.net/speechbubbles/index.html

It seems that the Text filter can't handle the outline and shadow effects (Maybe that elusive "daring developer out there" can improve on that?).

Also, jAlbum seems to render the speech bubbles with a slice off the top, but I hope I can fix that (LibreOffice shows them as intended).

When I have sorted out some existing problems and have a bit more experience, I will add some more glyphs, such as diagonal arrows. Any other suggestions?
davidekholm

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 13:09   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I have no clue what causes the distortions on your speech bubble examples unfortunately.
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 14:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

The problem with "missing slices" in the speech bubbles disappeared after regenerating the font (I have no idea what fixed it).
I was wrong about the Text filter being unable to handle shadows (you need to use the scroll bar to see the color and shadow options).

However, RobM found a "Komika Bubbles" font that does work, and it seems that there are some more symbol fonts out there that are recognised by jAlbum's Text filter. Some of these contain a couple of symbols that would be useful for adding to jAlbum images. I haven't found any, however, that contain a complete set of what I would consider useful.
The speech bubbles in "Komika Bubbles" font, for instance, have transparent interiors - any text inside them would have to be read against a possibly confusing background.
"Web Symbols" font, on the other hand, has solid bubbles and a couple of arrows, but only a small selection.
"PWNewArrows" font has a wide selection of arrows, but only one speech bubble (which has a transparent interior).

I am working on a possible replacement which would contain several speech bubbles, thought bubbles, and a selection of arrows.
This could be a single source for most of the symbols that you might want to add to an image as "visual comments".
I am attaching a preliminary version of "jAlbum Symbols" TTF font containing 4 "speech bubbles", 4 "thought bubbles" and 8 arrows (N NE E SE S SW W NW). You can see a preview of these glyphs (as applied by the jAlbum Image Edit Text Filter) at
http://jimberry.jalbum.net/speechbubbles/slides/FM2002000247.html
Other slides in this album show the possibilities with other available fonts.

If you think this might be useful, you might want to suggest some more symbols that could be included.

Edited by: jimberry on 17-Jun-2013 23:31
RobM

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 18:15   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

For possible additions to your new font, a copyright, registered trade name, CD, DVD come to mind as maybe useful. A bolt of lightening and, if you can get authorisation a frog (Dor)!
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 22:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Are these things you would add to the image on their own, without text?
Aren't © and ® already available in standard fonts?
RobM

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 23:16   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Yes, they are, I just thought that you would have plenty of free characters to play with and someone may just want use them within whatever context it is they are using the font. You never know, Mrag might mark up an image and want to copyright the marked up version! ;)
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jun 13, 23:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, there are plenty of free characters to play with, but I don't really want to spend time making hundreds of glyphs that would possibly never be used.

It would be easier for mrag to type
© 2013 Al Geddis
in Times New Roman than to type
©
in jAlbumSymbols and then change font to type
2013 Al Geddis in Times New Roman or whatever.

If you can point me to example vector images of lightning strike and Dor and suggest a typical scenario where someone might want to use them on an image I can add them to the font.
(Dor can of course already be added to an image with the classic Logotype filter, but that is not available in Image Edit mode).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums