Permlink Replies: 29 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 29-Jan-2005 16:37 Last Post By: marklink Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Mendel
Re: Metadata, EXIF, IPTC, Comments, and Captions
Posted: 25-Nov-2004 16:05   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks Gordon.

Can I ask a newbie question?

When you right-click an image in windows, and select properties, there's a summary tab, overthere you can also add several fields like title etc.

Are this saved into the file as IPTC information?
Gordon

Posted: 25-Nov-2004 16:58   in response to: Mendel in response to: Mendel
Hello Mendel

I did not know the answer to your question so I did some simple testing. First, I opened a jpeg file and used IrfanView to fill in some IPTC data. I went ahead and filled in all of the IPTC data blocks and saved the image.

Using Windows XP, I right-clicked the image and selected "Properties". Upon looking at the Summary Tab, none of the IPTC data appeared. Hence, the Windows Properties box does NOT show IPTC metadata.

Next I selected a different jpeg image file, opened the Windows Properties window, selected the Summary Tab, and clicked the << Simple button. Then, I filled in the Title, Subject, Author, Keywords, and Comments boxes. I clicked Apply and then OK.

After clicking on the Advanced >> button, I could see the information I had applied in the previous step.

I then opened that file using IrfanView and checked on the IPTC metadata. None appeared.

I opened the file using NotePad and could see the data I added had been written to the header of the jpeg file, but not as IPTC metadata.

Finally, I used BluPlusPlus to make an album containing the two files I had just added metadata to, using IrfanView and Windows Properties. In the BluPlusPlus panel, under the Slide tab, I selected ALL under the drop-down list for Meta-data Display Mode.

When I opened my album, I could see that the IPTC metadata I had added using IrfanView did show up in the information window on the slide page. But, the Title, subject, etc., that I added to the jpeg file using the Windows Properties file did not appear as metadata in the next page of my BluPlusPlus album.

Therefore, to answer your question, NO, the Windows Properties dialog box does not write IPTC metadata.

It appears this is a rather limited or perhaps useless "feature" of Windows.

Maci, I am not familiar with either Pinnacle Photo Instant Album Software or its “EXI” files. I also do not use ACDSee software. Therefore, I am afraid that I cannot help you with your question.

Gordon
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Nov-2004 17:20   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
I think those Windows properites are actually not stored within the image files but in a "resource fork" of the NTFS file system. i.e. you will lose such info if you transfer a file to another file system (a floppy, ftp server etc). Pretty bad non-standard Windows solution IMHO.
Mendel
Posted: 25-Nov-2004 17:25   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
Thanks Gordon

That was quick.
mrag

Posted: 02-Dec-2004 05:20   in response to: Mendel in response to: Mendel
(apologies for posting a question in Tips although hopefully any answers will prove useful to this topic)

I am trying to use an iptc field to create a variable "alt" comment when one hovers over a thumb. I've used Irfanview to fill in the various iptc fields. Using the Vertical skin index as an example, if I change $title to $copyright when one moves over the thumb, whatever is typed in the iptc copyright field appears. I have also found I can substitute $keywords with the same effect however, after that I'm stumped. I haven't been able to use Country, By-line, Headline, writer/editor, etc. I've inserted <%=meta%> in the slide.htt and gotten a dump of the iptc tags, but none of those are recognized (example: dump reads Iptc.Headline but $Iptc.Headline is not recognized nor is any variation eg., $iptc.headline, $headline, $Iptc.headline and so on) What are the other iptc words JAlbum recognizes?

(slice from Vertical index.htt)
<table>
<ja:rowiterator>
<tr>
<ja:coliterator>
<td valign="bottom" width="$maxThumbWidth">
<a title="$title" target="<%= files[imageNum-1].isDirectory()?"_top":"slide" %>"

href="$closeupPath">
davidekholm

Posted: 05-Dec-2004 23:30   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
Please bring this question directly to the author of the MetadataExtractor library Drew Noakes at http://www.drewnoakes.com

(I just got a mail from him so he is alive again :-) )
mrag

Posted: 12-Dec-2004 00:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Armond supplied the following answer and explanation for the given example on his BPP Forum site:

"The IPTC fields are extracted by JAlbum itself and are available in all skins via the "meta" object. In your example the code will be something like:

<%= meta.get("Iptc.Headline") %>

This will print the IPTC Headline field. The same story for rest of the IPTC fields. Hope this helps..."

By substituting the above where $title now appears, the iptc headline info will appear when hovering over a thumb which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure why $keywords and $copyright worked as a direct substitution (no meta.get required). I've not heard back from Drew.
PhotoGuy

Posted: 12-Dec-2004 08:52   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
Well, because not all the fields are populated directly by JAlbum. $title, $keywords and other stuffs are available because JAlbum puts them in context but not all the IPTC and EXIF fields... Just my 0.02$
Perhaps David can make better and more accurate comment on this.

Cheers,
Armond
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Dec-2004 15:35   in response to: PhotoGuy in response to: PhotoGuy
I just extracted some of the common IPTC fields to $variables as a convenience. I plan on relying more on IPTC in the future.
obiot

Posted: 12-Dec-2004 23:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Ummm... I remember some time ago some people told that IPTC would be discontinued as that standard was "dated"? Personally I don't use any IPTC fields, so my position may be "biased".

Best regards,

Olivier
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Dec-2004 19:42   in response to: obiot in response to: obiot
I know there is an XML version of IPTC that is a later design, but I don't know how common its use is today. Photoshop probably still writes "classic" IPTC.
Andy
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 05:29   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
Does anyone know if the properties data that you get when you right click on a jpeg image in a Windows folder under the the Summary tab, Advanced is related to the EXIF data. Clicking the Simple button allows you to enter title, author, comments, etc. which are stored with the Advanced data, but JAlbum and other software like PhotoImpact aren't successful in extracting the data. Is this Description data only accessible by Windows? This appears to be an easy way to enter description data since no extra software is required to enter it, but if it's only accessible in Windows it's quite useless.
Andy
Posted: 29-Jan-2005 05:40   in response to: Andy in response to: Andy
Sorry, guys. I missed the posting by Mendel regarding this subject (Windows Description properties) and Gordon's investigation of it as possibly IPTC data. If it's not stored with the image it's probably not EXIF data either and therefore is quite useless.
davidekholm

Posted: 29-Jan-2005 11:45   in response to: Andy in response to: Andy
Yes, and it is also typical for Microsoft.
marklink

Posted: 29-Jan-2005 16:37   in response to: Gordon in response to: Gordon
Gordon,

I have a newbie question about Exifer

I use Photoshop Album 2.0.1 to manage my image files and need to copy the Description field in EXIF to the Comment field so I can use it in JAlbum. I am trying to use Exifer, but am missing something.

I highlight the file I want to change, choose edit, then the EXIF tab. I am going to the Comment pane and fill in "Insert from Description". I am thinking this should copy the Description field info into the Comment field, but it has no effect. What am I missing?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums