Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Jul-2018 22:48 Last Post By: LauraS
LauraS

Image Editors
Posted: 15-Aug-2003 01:31
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Mostly, I use PaintShop Pro (see http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/ ). I originally started using the software that came with my scanner (something called "Image Pals") but that was hopeless (and I now have a new scanner).

With PSP, I started using version 5 (which was the first version to incorporate layers) and now I'm up to version 8. This last version is just as powerful as Photoshop (especially with the new scripting language) but a lot cheaper.

A second graphics package that I use is Fireworks (it's an old version off a magazine disk), which I find is much better at rendering graphic fonts, and image slicing.

Another freeware packages that come to mind are:

GIMP - http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/
A Linux editor that's been ported to windows.

Neither is exactly as powerful as Photoshop or PaintShop Pro (though GIMP comes close), but they do edit jpg, gif and png formats, as well as their own formats.
n'Anders

Re: Image Editors
Posted: 15-Aug-2003 08:28   in response to: LauraS in response to: LauraS
You weren't kidding when you said that Pixia had a "quirky interface"...
I looked at some screenshots and it looks quite busy.

As for PSP - that's what I use. It has (almost) all features that Photoshop has but it is cheaper and above all - faster.
Makis

Posted: 16-Aug-2003 13:30   in response to: LauraS in response to: LauraS
PSP quicker? Not what I've heard, especially if you edit large pictures (tens of megabytes). Can't argue though, as my last experience with PSP is a few years back.
n'Anders

Posted: 16-Aug-2003 16:09   in response to: Makis in response to: Makis
You may be right that PSP is slower when it comes to large pictures but as I use it - for smaller graphics intended for the web (rotating, cropping etc.) - it has a faster feel to it.
On one point it definitely has Photoshop beat real good - startup time!
daniel

Posted: 31-Aug-2003 15:27   in response to: LauraS in response to: LauraS
Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com is a very useful freeware program for image manipulation and editing. Particularly useful for batch conversion of files (e.g. rotating lots of files). I use it to rotate my images and to create thumbnail images for MPEG files.
Makis

Posted: 02-Sep-2003 15:47   in response to: LauraS in response to: LauraS
I think it was Irfanview that did a crap job at cropping & resizing pictures when I tried it. The pictures just looked bad, for instance saw edges were visible everywhere, so even though it would be quicker to manipulate some pictures with it, I still use PhotoShop even for this (for instance, if you just want to quickly resize a 4MP picture from the camera to 640 * 480).

Uh, I start to sound like a PS dummy. No, I'm not. PS just seem like the tool if you can justify getting it.
davidekholm

Posted: 02-Sep-2003 16:18   in response to: Makis in response to: Makis
I've heard reports on people being more happy with the slow JAlbum "Hiqh quality" setting for scaling than the corresponding one in Photoshop. I don't know myself, just something for you to try out.
mrag

Re: Image Editors-Paint Shop Pro
Posted: 05-Oct-2003 04:23   in response to: LauraS in response to: LauraS
I've toyed with PSP for a number of years with "toy" being the active word (I'm not that great with it). I have Version 7 and am now thinking about 8. My primary usage would be using it with digital photos* and to a lesser degree some web stuff (buttons, navigation bars). Is PSP8 worth the $50 upgarde under these circumstances (or maybe I should just spend more time learning PSP7)?

*I particularly like cutting out people from one photo and placing them in another-is this "improved/simplified" at all?
LauraS

Re: Image Editors-Paint Shop Pro
Posted: 05-Oct-2003 13:20   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag
The short answer is yes!

I've used version 7 of PSP (I bought the anniversary collection) and have tried using version 8.

It add extra filters, but most importantly they re-wrote most of the paint engine. That means you can now save or modify most settings, can run scripts and do a number of things that you just can't do under version 7.

In my opinion, with version 8, PSP has finally hit a really professional level as an editor.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums