This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23 Jan 24, 23:58 Last Post By: JustJoan Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
JustJoan

Gromit with latest Jalbum update
Posted: 23 Jan 24, 18:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I just downloaded the latest Jalbum update this morning. I then added pictures to a new folder in an existing album I have which uses the Gromit skin. When I clicked "Make album" and then preview, I noticed that the pictures had not uploaded in the order in which I had organized them. I have never had this problem before. Why is this suddenly happening and can this be fixed? If so, how?
JeffTucker

Re: Gromit with latest Jalbum update
Posted: 23 Jan 24, 18:57   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan
Correct
The sequence of the images is not under the control of the skin - it just takes them the way the jAlbum core feeds them to the skin templates.

First, in the jAlbum Explore view, hit F5, just to make sure it hasn't sorted them in a different way.

When you preview, don't use the integrated browser, which has serious caching problems. Do your previewing in a real browser, and refresh your browser cache when you view the album.
JustJoan

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 20:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks.

Hitting F5 reordered the pictures to the way it was showing in the preview, which wasn't what I wanted or what I was seeing in Explore. When I then uploaded the Album the order was correct.

I've never had this issue before, so something about this must have changed in the new version of Jalbum. What I was seeing in Explore and what the JAlbum core was "seeing" weren't the same thing.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 21:00   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan

jAlbum 34 did introduce some new capabilities for image ordering - see the release notes:

https://jalbum.net/en/software/release-notes

It shouldn't have altered the existing order, but it would be tough to sort it out.

(No promises about how long Gromit will continue to work in new versions of jAlbum. Hasn't been touched in well over three years, which is a lifetime in the tech world. Jupiter is the natural successor, though there's no particular reason to stick with that style.)
JustJoan

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 22:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for the additional comments.

Given what you say, I think I will use the start of 2024 as a reason to start a new album in a new skin and leave my two Gromit albums as they are. If I don't update or upload them again, I think they should continue to display as originally uploaded. Do you agree?

I know my oldest album, made in Postcard, still displays properly although I haven't touched it in close to ten years.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:01   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan

JustJoan wrote:
...I think I will... leave my two Gromit albums as they are. If I don't update or upload them again, I think they should continue to display as originally uploaded. Do you agree?

Yes. Browsers generally continue to support even utterly obsolete code. I'm often surprised by some the ancient stuff that still behaves OK. A Gromit album still validates as proper HTML and CSS, with the exception of one "no big deal" warning.

The exception is Flash, which really won't work in any current browser. Skins that used Flash are truly dead dogs (and have even been removed from the "legacy" skin repository here).
JustJoan

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:08   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks.

I like to have my pictures displayed with 4 pictures across and two rows of pictures, in their original shape, not truncated to a square. I could do that with Gromit and it seems like I should be able to do that with Jupiter, given some of the sample albums, but the field that shows the number of columns and rows doesn't let me change it.

Should I be able to change this? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:19   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan

Attachment nonfixed.png (44.6 KB)
JustJoan wrote:
I like to have my pictures displayed... in their original shape, not truncated to a square.

Turning off the fixed shape thumbnails is easy. See nonfixed.png.
JustJoan

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:24   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I'm reading your user manual now. I found where to click to choose "Constrain Aspect Ratio" rather than "Fixed Shape" for the Thumbnails.

I still haven't found what I can do to have a choice in the number of columns and rows. Can I control this?
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:27   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan

JustJoan wrote:
I like to have my pictures displayed with 4 pictures across and two rows of pictures....

This can also be done, but not directly. Modern web page design is "responsive." On a very large monitor, only four thumbnails across looks ridiculous - a few lonely thumbnails wandering around in a sea of blank space. On a phone, four across is way too many. So, the skin is designed to wrap the thumbnail rows as needed.

You can restrict it to four across if you really want to, though I'd advise against it. On that Thumbnails tab, you can reduce the Max table width until you find a value that causes row-wrapping at four thumbnails. The value you want will, of course, depend on the size of the thumbnails, but something around 1200px should be pretty close. On smaller displays, it will show fewer than that, but on larger displays, it won't show more than that.

At the same time, you can tell the skin never to put more than eight thumbnails on each page, though that has the same problem with large monitors - it will be mostly empty space. See Jupiter > Pagination.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:30   in response to: JustJoan in response to: JustJoan

JustJoan wrote:
I'm reading your user manual now. I found where to click to choose "Constrain Aspect Ratio" rather than "Fixed Shape" for the Thumbnails.

You don't really need to constrain the aspect ratio, but it won't hurt. That only comes into play if you have some extreme images, like wide pano's. That setting prevents them from generating thumbnails that are crazy wide, but too short.

Just turning off the fixed shape is enough to do what you want.

ETA: Given what you're after, you'll probably also want the choose the Grid option for the thumbnails. Again, wouldn't be my first choice, but these days my own albums look more like this:

https://jefftucker.net/neptune/light/
JustJoan

Posted: 23 Jan 24, 23:58   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks for both of those responses.

I will unclick both Fixed Shape and Constrain Aspect Ratio for now and see if it matters later.

I will need to think about the pagination thing more.

I like your album ... but I also do like the space between pictures that a Grid provides and the pause that showing 8 at a time creates. For me, that tends to suit a day or activity or theme and I find it makes a natural grouping. I try to tell a story with the pages in the albums and I'm not sure I like the idea of it all flowing together and getting broken up at points I can't control, which differ depending on which device you are viewing the pics on. I can see why that wouldn't bother most people, but ....

Thanks again for all your help!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums