This question is answered.


Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 25 Oct 23, 01:31 Last Post By: JeffTucker
spat

Posts: 9
Registered: 12-Sep-2009
Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 29 Jul 23, 08:53
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can the browse bar display the real name (if real name option in ticked in settings) instead of userrname, in top left navigate icon "Albums by ..."

Also, Twiiter icon needs to be changed (or removed)

It would also be nice if browse colour was the same as album background.

All this would make browse bar tidier IMHO

Thanks
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,981
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 29 Jul 23, 14:32   in response to: spat in response to: spat
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
spat wrote:
...Twiiter icon needs to be changed (or removed)

Too early. By next week, it will probably have been replaced by a new logo. Perhaps a puff of smoke. ;)

This, of course, is the "joy" of trying to support social media. It's a moving target. The browse bar offers a few choices. The Share view in jAlbum offers a different set of choices. The widgets offer yet another set. And the skins that support social media offer their own group.

Half of them are dead or dying, like Google+, digg, and Myspace. And even the ones that stick around seem to change their API's constantly - what you code for today stops working just a few months later. It's a thrill a minute.

ETA: If it's now X instead of Twitter, what's the verb form? It certainly can't be "tweet!"
AnCa

Posts: 398
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 31 Jul 23, 19:28   in response to: spat in response to: spat
Correct
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
spat wrote:
Can the browse bar display the real name (if real name option in ticked in settings) instead of userrname, in top left navigate icon "Albums by ..."
That sounds reasonable. Might be due to space limitations we're using the (usually) shorter username instead of the real name. But it's solvable and should be fixed in a few weeks (due to vacations).

Also, Twiiter icon needs to be changed (or removed)
Agreeing with Jeff that's it too early... I don't think Meta or Microsoft, who apparently both have some trademarks on that X will sit in silence while Elon is having fun. :)

It would also be nice if browse colour was the same as album background.
When we designed it we wanted the bar to be more part of the web browser, than part of the album... It's also quite tricky to get the background color of a web page, without creating a full blown HTML, CSS and Javascript interpreter.
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,981
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 31 Jul 23, 19:38   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AnCa wrote:
It's also quite tricky to get the background color of a web page, without creating a full blown HTML, CSS and Javascript interpreter.

And if you could get that color reliably, you'd also have to think about a suitable text color. Same as the body text of the album? Very dodgy.... ;)
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,981
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 24 Oct 23, 19:32   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AnCa wrote:
spat wrote:
Can the browse bar display the real name (if real name option in ticked in settings) instead of userrname, in top left navigate icon "Albums by ..."
That sounds reasonable. Might be due to space limitations we're using the (usually) shorter username instead of the real name. But it's solvable and should be fixed in a few weeks (due to vacations).

It doesn't look like this ever bubbled to the top of the "to do" list.
AnCa

Posts: 398
Registered: 25-Mar-2005
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 24 Oct 23, 20:11   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
JeffTucker wrote:
It doesn't look like this ever bubbled to the top of the "to do" list.
It's currently on place 7. But things are unfortunately continuously added above that one... (The tricky part is that there is a space limitation in the bar, but the real name can be very long.) But I can push it closer to the top. :)
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,981
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Browse bar - can it display real name
Posted: 25 Oct 23, 01:31   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Pfft. Just put overflow: hidden; on it, and let the chips fall. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums