This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20 Jan 23, 12:18 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
psk-gallery

PLEASE Upgrade the jAlbum forum - it's antiquated and clunky to use
Posted: 17 Jan 23, 02:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
While no IT pro, I've been online since 1997, designed and ran my own website and have been admin and moderator off an on over those years starting with phpBB (which is still used but looks a bit 1995-ish).

Here are the parts of the use of this forum that are behind-the-times and don't follow common forum standards:

• Uploaded images need to be downloaded by the thread viewer - they do not show up in-line. That's a hassle. (Linked images do show up but not resized, so some can appear huge.)

• Preview and images: again, inline should be the norm and one should be able to preview a posting with image/s even before one posts or saves it.

• Adding a link: the norm is to highlight the text in the message and then add the URL to it, done. Here one has add link + text.

• Following one's OP should be by default, not an option one has to choose. It should be the other way around: opting out to follow one's OP/thread should be the option. (Being new here, I missed several responses for I never got an email notification).

• Spellcheck - it is a default standard that should not require a pop-up window. The norm as in any any form or text box with it should show the red or whatever colored "squiggle" line under the misspelled word with options to correct.

• The by-default "Edited by..." is a real nuisance - it always defaults to the blue check being active every time one edits one's post, adding line after line. It should be an option at best.

That's what I can think of so far.

I've always liked the overall friendly jAlbum design going back to 2006 or so when I first used it. There must be a way to integrate an improved or even different forum platform, but I couldn't figure out which one is used here.

While I have only tested this forum on Chrome and MS Edge, the behavior must be the same in Safari, Opera, etc. Chrome is by far the most used browser in the world (about 65%, Safari coming in 2nd at about 18%, Edge at 4%, etc.) .

There are several forum software options out there, some even free - including phpBB. I'll have to leave the how and what to the webmaster/s of jAlbum if the above suggestions make practical and user-friendly sense.
JeffTucker

Re: PLEASE Upgrade the jAlbum forum - it's antiquated and clunky to use
Posted: 17 Jan 23, 02:58   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery
Helpful
There's simply no one with the time to implement new forum software, and to incorporate it into jalbum.net (perhaps you've noticed that registering for jAlbum automatically creates a forum account, and logging in to any part of it logs you into the rest of it - I don't think I've ever seen that with any other application).

jAlbum AB consists of exactly three people, who have to maintain the core application, the bundled skins, the website, and the entire web hosting operation. A forum doesn't bring in new business - it's just overhead.

The existing forum software is Jive Forums v. 5.5.25. It's Java-based, and yes, it's from the Pleistocene Era.
JeffTucker

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 03:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

The jAlbum staff on the way to an "all hands" meeting:

psk-gallery

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 03:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

OK, I understand that there is only so much three people can do, for sure. If I had the brains or aptitudes, I'd volunteer to find some free way to do something, but it's a no-go.

That's one part of the Net... one can't tell how many people are helming an enterprise:

My first version of jAlbum was v.6.3, then 13.x then years of being MIA from using any kind of gallery prog, so I assumed that its longevity -- Wiki states jAlbum was founded in 2002 -- meant it had become big business, so to speak.

So I'll live with the forum as-is and drop it.
It was just a moment of well-meaning insanity. :)

Feel free to nuke this thread if so desired.
jimberry

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 08:27   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

psk-gallery wrote:
Here are the parts of the use of this forum that are behind-the-times and don't follow common forum standards:
  • Uploaded images need to be downloaded by the thread viewer - they do not show up in-line. That's a hassle.
A little bit of searching might have found some answers to some of your problems.
When I clicked "Reply" I was presented with a page which allowed me to enter the text of my reply. The right hand column of that page consists of some helpful "Plain Text Help" which shows how to handle some formatting issues such as "bold" "italic" "underline etc. It also shows how to insert an image, a link or an email address into your message.
- Preview and images: again, inline should be the norm and one should be able to preview a posting with image/s even before one posts or saves it.
You CAN preview your message (with images) just by clicking the "Preview" tab beside the
"plain text" tab.
RobM

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 11:07   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

psk-gallery wrote:
Feel free to nuke this thread if so desired.
The forum posts are reviewed and out of date/irrelevant posts are deleted periodically. We try to keep the forum as a useful source of information, not an archive of every post ever made.
psk-gallery

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 19:36   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

A little bit of searching might have found some answers to some of your problems. When I clicked "Reply" I was presented with a page which allowed me to enter the text of my reply. The right hand column of that page consists of some helpful "Plain Text Help" which shows how to handle some formatting issues such as "bold" "italic" "underline etc. It also shows how to insert an image, a link or an email address into your message.

The "Plain Text Help" is basically only providing the syntax of what the GUI does - which is kind of like asking someone to use text only DOS for a post instead of WYSIWYG Windows.

The forum's software by Jive is definitely old - 2006, though intuitive WYSIWYG posting was already implemented on the Net.

For example, I've been using Vegas Pro NLE video editing software from that year on to the present, and the basic forum at Sony (back then, now it's Magix) already had all the mentioned attributes in the OP's list.

But again, this is a moot point for Jeff explained why there isn't the resources or wo/manpower to upgrade this 17 y.o. forum software.

You CAN preview your message (with images) just by clicking the "Preview" tab beside the
"plain text" tab.

Testing the two ways to include image:

Using the "Image: link syntax:

Image:

The upload from local source/computer:

One can't insert it here, it automatically gets put as the first element of the comment -- and while one can preview the version linked to a file on the Net, the uploaded image icon does not show up in preview.

It may or may not be due to some Chrome extension I'm using, but I've never had an extension mess with a text box on a forum or otherwise online.
psk-gallery

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 19:43   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

BTW - how does one quote a reply or part of one? I can't see a button or how-to. I've been copy-pasting, not the most efficient way to go... :)
RobM

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 20:04   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

psk-gallery wrote:
BTW - how does one quote a reply or part of one? I can't see a button or how-to. I've been copy-pasting, not the most efficient way to go... :)
Click the reply to icon and then in the text entry the last icon on the right, the " (Bold and Italic are on the left).
psk-gallery

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 20:07   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
psk-gallery wrote:
Click the reply to icon and then in the text entry the last icon on the right, the " (Bold and Italic are on the left).

Ha! Got it. Works like a charm. Thanks.
RobM

Posted: 17 Jan 23, 20:29   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

Not sure if you have seen, and tried, clicking on the '?' icon to the right of the word 'Legend', which is to the right of your first post. It takes you to Questions.
davidekholm

Posted: 18 Jan 23, 14:20   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

We're surely like to move to a modern well maintained open source solution for the forum. If anyone could volunteer writing import scripts for the existing Jive Forums database, that would be a tremendous help. As Jeff pointed out, we're only 3 people running jAlbum.
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Jan 23, 14:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
As Jeff pointed out, we're only 3 people running jAlbum.

You're in an even more precarious position than the Mariposans.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/076159e4-08a0-4ead-a4f2-6295ec695017
psk-gallery

Posted: 20 Jan 23, 03:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

@DavidEkholm - Thank you for commenting for I know that you are among the founders of jAlbum. Perhaps at some point someone may come with the right script. In the mean time, it's not that this forum is a Courier font, text only 1995 BBS. It's usable. :)
davidekholm

Posted: 20 Jan 23, 12:18   in response to: psk-gallery in response to: psk-gallery

You're welcome
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums