My website originally consisted of pictures that opened a PDF file when clicked on. Worked great on all devices/browsers. I then updated the site to use Jalbum/Photoblogger and I'm having issues with the PDF files now.
I originally set up the albums to how the site was originally, pictures that had External Links to the PDF files. However, when viewed on an iPad/phone, the PDFs would not open. The only thing shown is the picture that was clicked on. I had no problems viewing my site on my desktop.
I then tested importing an actual PDF instead of linking a picture. This worked on all devices/browsers, but of course I have the generic Adobe icon and I needed my pics to be used instead. I then used the .thm trick and it worked, I now had the pic I wanted, but unfortunately the PDF could not be opened by ANY device/browser.
So basically, is there a way I can fix this linking issue or is there a way to use .thm files without breaking the ability to open the PDF? I'm assuming I have some settings wrong and this is an easy fix. I hope lol.
Note: I don't know if it makes a difference, but the linked PDFs are located in a separate section and not in album folders. Also, this is my own website and not stored on JAlbum servers.
1. Add the PDF file to jAlbum.
2. Ensure it's not linked: right-click -> Convert link to copy
3. Open the file location: right-click -> Show in the filesystem
4. Save (move) the poster image here as JPG
5. Rename it to have the same base name as the PDF with extension .thm
It seems only JPG's work, and placing the replacement image along with the linked files won't work either.
A few weeks ago, I put together a little Photoblogger album of PDF's (for another, unrelated reason). There doesn't seem to be any problem with using the standard routine of adding mydog.pdf and mydog.thm to the project:
ETA: I can report, however, that if you are linking to your source files, rather than copying them to the project, the jAlbum core routine that ties a PDF to its representing THM does not work. Even if you try to convert a link to a copy, it still fails.
There are some messy workarounds, as Laza has posted, but the way to do this properly is to head for Preferences > Album > When adding files, and choose Copy. Then add your PDF and THM. You can then switch the preference choice back to Link if you're going to add other, non-THM objects to the project.