This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 59 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 21 Oct 22, 19:26 Last Post By: MarkusD
MarkusD

Re: Time stamp in the console
Posted: 6 Oct 22, 18:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
I'll pass this webp image to the JDeli team that develops the codec for WebP. What software did you use to produce it?
I used "PhotoFiltre 11", Version 11.2.0 (64-bit) http://www.photofiltre.com/
MarkusD

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 18:06   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Markus, I've analyzed your lifeboat file. If my calculations are right, you have 1916 images that are affected by "order by camera date", so on each album build, 1916 images are opened and parsed for camera dates before operation can continue. This could potentially be the cause of the slowdown. The "Cache image ordering" simply switches to "Custom ordering" everywhere, but naturally maintains the same ordering as "Camera ordering" has generated right now so you should be able to run this tool safely.
Hi David,

yesterday:
Making deep-data.json: 1,296s
"Norge, Sverige, Danmark, Suomi" erzeugt in 10m 53,041s
Compiling C:\Users\MDr�ck\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\finally.js

Today I used the tool "Cache image ordering". Result was "Processed 517 objects in 59,986s".

Then compiled again:
Making deep-data.json: 1,163s
"Norge, Sverige, Danmark, Suomi" erzeugt in 18m 6,868s
Compiling C:\Users\MDr�ck\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\finally.js

Not quite what we expected? :-)

Just a stupid question, but what exactly is JA doing during the compilation? Is it accessing/reading the picture files (and videos etc.)? I'm asking because I see messages like "Metadaten aus Bildern auslesen..." which is "engine.readingMetadataInfo=Reading image metadata...". But why should JA read the metadata from the picture every time during compilation?

If I'm looking in a file like "P1300250.JPG.info" I see:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<java version="14.0.2" class="java.beans.XMLDecoder">
 <object class="java.util.HashMap">
  <void method="put">
   <string>keywords</string>
   <string>2022, Deutschland, Fähre</string>
  </void>
  <void method="put">
   <string>title</string>
   <string>Hahnstätten – Puttgarden – <i class=&apos;fa fa-ship&apos;>&amp;nbsp;</i> – Rødby – Malmö</string>
  </void>
 </object>
</java>

Wouldn't it make sense to read the metadata once from the picture and write it to the corresponding .info file and from that time on read the metadata from the .info file? Except, when the picture has been changed since the last compilation. Assuming that reading the metadata is much faster from a small text file instead of several mega bytes of a picture. Just a thought from my side.
davidekholm

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 18:50   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

It's a good thought Markus, and I've been thinking about caching metadata too in smaller files, but using the .info files would most definitely generate one extra file for each image, but it may be worth it.

Can you generate 2-3 of those "thread dump" files I asked about so we can ensure that jAlbum is indeed taking most of the time parsing image metadata?
MarkusD

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 19:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
It's a good thought Markus, and I've been thinking about caching metadata too in smaller files, but using the .info files would most definitely generate one extra file for each image, but it may be worth it.

Can you generate 2-3 of those "thread dump" files I asked about so we can ensure that jAlbum is indeed taking most of the time parsing image metadata?

Sorry David, I forgot about the thread dumps. Please find them here:
https://www.markus-drueck.de/JA/thread%20dump-MD.zip

This time I got an error message:
An unexpected error occurred. Please see detailed description below:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error processing D:\Eigene Dateien\MDrück\Pictures\2009 02 27 Norge\Prolog
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2806)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.getVars(AlbumObjectImpl.java:2800)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$Recompilation$117$97090AD$util.getDropdownMenu#getSubMenu(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\lib\util.js:3989)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$Recompilation$117$97090AD$util.getDropdownMenu#getSubMenu(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\lib\util.js:3994)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$Recompilation$115$96341AAAAADZA$util.getDropdownMenu(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\lib\util.js:4014)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$Recompilation$94$7842A$init.processFolder#L:241(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\init.js:392)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.javaadapters.java_util_function_Consumer.accept(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$Recompilation$90$6422A$init.processFolder(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\init.js:241)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.scripts.Script$89$predir.:program(C:\Users\MDrück\AppData\Roaming\JAlbum\skins\Tiger\predir.js:5)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.runtime.ScriptFunctionData.invoke(ScriptFunctionData.java:646)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.runtime.ScriptFunction.invoke(ScriptFunction.java:513)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.internal.runtime.ScriptRuntime.apply(ScriptRuntime.java:520)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.api.scripting.NashornScriptEngine.evalImpl(NashornScriptEngine.java:442)
	at org.openjdk.nashorn.api.scripting.NashornScriptEngine$1.eval(NashornScriptEngine.java:503)
	at java.scripting/javax.script.CompiledScript.eval(Unknown Source)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.processExpression(AlbumBean.java:3021)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.processScript(AlbumBean.java:2936)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbumForFolder(AlbumBean.java:1846)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.makeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:3266)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.smartMakeAlbum(AlbumBean.java:3158)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame$7.run(JAlbumFrame.java:1170)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field "width" because "newDim" is null
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.ImageRenderer.computeRenditions(ImageRenderer.java:282)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.ImageRenderer.<init>(ImageRenderer.java:102)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumObjectImpl.getRenderer(AlbumObjectImpl.java:218)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.addFilteredImageSizes(AlbumBean.java:3952)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.registerVariables(AlbumBean.java:2790)
	... 21 more
MarkusD

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 19:15   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
This would make no difference for me. I do have a .info file for every picture, video etc. anyway. Because I use Titles and Keywords for all of them. :-) JA shouldn't even start to compile unless every object has a Title, Comment and Keyword by the way. :-)

It is like in LOTR:
“Ein Ring sie zu knechten, ....“

“One Ring to rule them all, ....“

I would rule the JA users to use the product properly. :-) Just kidding.
MarkusD

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 19:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Joking aside, that each image (and video, etc.) gets its own .info file is indeed not entirely uncritical, because we all know that it is much more time-critical to process 1,000 small files than one file that contains all the information. But I guess it is more clever to have a single file for each image. But it's hard for me to estimate.

What I've noticed, for example, is that if I give a comment to all the images in a folder with, say, 100 images (for the first time), then it takes a few seconds. After all, 100 files have to be created first. This would certainly go much faster if the comments would all be managed in one file (per folder).
davidekholm

Posted: 6 Oct 22, 22:03   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Thanks for the thread dumps Markus. It's indeed the camera dates that are causing the delay. Not when sorting, but when discovering first and last dates of images per folder. The key method call is doGetDeepCameraDates. I'll work on better caching.
davidekholm

Posted: 12 Oct 22, 14:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

@Markus, can you set jAlbum's logging level to "FINER" and retry the make album process, then tell me just how many "Cache miss for <folder name>" your're getting in the system console. It seems to me that the cacheing of camera dates isn't working properly. There is a folder-level cache.

When done, make the album again, just to ensure that the cache is indeed broken. If it's working, then the build times should be far shorter.

Are you using a high number of PNG files in your gallery? If so, please pass me one such PNG image for inspection.

MarkusD

Posted: 12 Oct 22, 19:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
@Markus, can you set jAlbum's logging level to "FINER" and retry the make album process, then tell me just how many "Cache miss for <folder name>" your're getting in the system console. It seems to me that the cacheing of camera dates isn't working properly. There is a folder-level cache.
I don't see any "Cache miss for" messages.

When done, make the album again, just to ensure that the cache is indeed broken. If it's working, then the build times should be far shorter.
I've done that. Compiling the first time: 14m 43,161s. Compiling the second time: 9m 52,987s. Nevertheless, this is far away from what I would call "fast". ;-) Maybe I'm expecting too much. :-) But I have read some older posts where other users reporting that compiling albums with several thousands pictures takes only several seconds.

The complete log files:
https://www.markus-drueck.de/JA/2022%2010%2012%2018%2044%20-%20Compiling%20first%20time.txt
https://www.markus-drueck.de/JA/2022%2010%2012%2019%2001%20-%20Compiling%20second%20time.txt

Are you using a high number of PNG files in your gallery? If so, please pass me one such PNG image for inspection.
Hard to say how may PNG files I have in my gallery. Several hundreds (out of 8.220). At least 1.788 PNG are in this folder https://www.markus-drueck.de/norge/Misc/Finse/index.html.

I ZIPed one of the folders with PNG files:
https://www.markus-drueck.de/JA/2022%2099%20Finse.zip

Thanks, Markus
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Oct 22, 13:05   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Hi Markus. I've been investigating the performance issue and made some improvements. Please reinstall jAlbum 29 from our site. This will give you v29.0.2. Now make the album again. What timings do you get now? (Printed to jAlbum's system console window)

v29.0.2 also does more detailed profiling on how much time jAlbum spends in various code sections during album build. This info can help me identify performance issues. To print detailed profiling data for the last album build, open the system console and issue
Profiler.instance
then pass me the generated report. More details on the profiler here: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=58577&tstart=0
MarkusD

Posted: 19 Oct 22, 21:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,

compiling the album having changed the "variants". So I expected a long compilation time:
"Norge, Sverige, Danmark, Suomi" erzeugt in 41m 42,348s

Profiler.instance:
0,632s ==> 
                             FileFilters.saveImage: 28507 calls  27m 6,814s
                             FileFilters.loadImage:  7207 calls 12m 21,387s
                       AlbumObjectImpl.getMetadata: 11189 calls  5m 17,207s
                       AlbumBean.registerVariables: 10747 calls  4m 45,926s
                        HardwareSmoothScaler.scale: 12670 calls  4m 13,401s
                JAlbumUtilities.getDeepCameraDates:   519 calls  3m 21,097s
                     AlbumObjectImpl.getXmpManager: 12703 calls  2m 34,702s
                     AlbumObjectImpl.getProperties: 10203 calls  1m 23,569s
                       RecoveryTool.createLifeboat:     1 calls   1m 23,55s
                        AlbumObjectProperties.load:  9954 calls   1m 5,415s
                       FileFilters.unifyColorModel:  7207 calls     36,152s
                          AlbumBean.makeIndexPages:   519 calls      28,86s
                     FileFilters.getBasicImageInfo:  9764 calls     22,597s
                          AlbumBean.processFilters: 35759 calls     21,349s
                       AlbumBean.countChangedFiles:     1 calls       12,3s
                                   Create MediaRSS:   519 calls      7,841s
                     AlbumBean.getFolderProperties:  2674 calls      6,302s
                   JAlbumUtilities.countCategories:  4171 calls          6s
                                              init:     1 calls      0,792s
        JAlbumUtilities.countWebLocationCategories:   408 calls      0,256s
                                    copy res files:     1 calls      0,016s
                                             Total: 164724 calls 65m 55,533s

Compiling the album again, nothing changed, no new pictures, no new videos:
"Norge, Sverige, Danmark, Suomi" erzeugt in 6m 54,677s

Profiler.instance:
0,66s ==> 
                       AlbumObjectImpl.getMetadata: 11073 calls   4m 3,291s
                       AlbumBean.registerVariables: 10746 calls  3m 55,539s
                       RecoveryTool.createLifeboat:     1 calls     51,362s
                          AlbumBean.makeIndexPages:   519 calls     17,408s
                             FileFilters.saveImage:    54 calls     16,806s
                     FileFilters.getBasicImageInfo:  9763 calls     16,732s
                     AlbumObjectImpl.getProperties:  9795 calls     16,019s
                        AlbumObjectProperties.load:  9626 calls     14,117s
                     AlbumObjectImpl.getXmpManager: 12702 calls      9,623s
                JAlbumUtilities.getDeepCameraDates:   519 calls       6,27s
                        HardwareSmoothScaler.scale:    25 calls      4,628s
                       AlbumBean.countChangedFiles:     1 calls      4,539s
                                   Create MediaRSS:   519 calls      3,805s
                             FileFilters.loadImage:    35 calls      3,575s
                   JAlbumUtilities.countCategories:  4171 calls      2,981s
                     AlbumBean.getFolderProperties:  2674 calls      2,398s
                                              init:     1 calls      0,738s
        JAlbumUtilities.countWebLocationCategories:   408 calls      0,193s
                       FileFilters.unifyColorModel:    35 calls      0,186s
                                    copy res files:     1 calls      0,016s
                          AlbumBean.processFilters:    56 calls      0,003s
                                             Total: 72724 calls 10m 50,229s

Recompiling in the past lasts minimum more than 12 minutes, now approx 7 minutes. This is a significant performance improvement! Well done David. Thanks.
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Oct 22, 22:46   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Thank you. Great to see! I'll see if I can polish things further. You'll likely get a significant speed boost if you can make that gallery on an SSD.
MarkusD

Posted: 20 Oct 22, 20:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
You'll likely get a significant speed boost if you can make that gallery on an SSD.
Yes, no doubt about it.

The current PC (running Windows 10) I'm working on (about 7 years old) already has a SSD as the main drive with drive "C:", with a capacity of 512 GB. And there is a second SSD with 1 TB, which holds several virtual machines (VMware). But the Pictures folder is on a 10 TB HDD. And I'm not sure if I should go for a SSD which stores also the Picture folder, right now this folder is about 1,5 TB of data. So I would end up in needing a SSD with a minimum size of 2 TB, and from 2024 on I'm doomed to not travel any more and take pictures and videos. I think you get the idea. ;-)
davidekholm

Posted: 21 Oct 22, 14:43   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

I've been polishing jAlbum's performance further now speeding up the counting of total # of files. On a large network based project, I cut the counting time to 1/4 (from 40s to 10s). Just do a core update to get v29.0.3 which features this faster total file counting (done while initiating an album build)
MarkusD

Posted: 21 Oct 22, 19:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,

compiling the album with 29.0.2
"Norge, Sverige, Danmark, Suomi" erzeugt in 6m 54,677s

Profiler.instance:
0,66s ==> 
                       AlbumObjectImpl.getMetadata: 11073 calls   4m 3,291s
                       AlbumBean.registerVariables: 10746 calls  3m 55,539s
                       RecoveryTool.createLifeboat:     1 calls     51,362s
                          AlbumBean.makeIndexPages:   519 calls     17,408s
                             FileFilters.saveImage:    54 calls     16,806s
                     FileFilters.getBasicImageInfo:  9763 calls     16,732s