This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29 Sep 22, 09:39 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
markok

****Solved! How to downgrade skin
Posted: 26 Sep 22, 23:18

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jAlbumerror.jpg (25.4 KB)
Attachment jAlbum.jpg (11.3 KB)
I have been using Jalbum for more than 10years... Never ever had a problem upgrading skins as they became available... well... until today. After I upgraded to the latest version I got the following message on the screen - see attached.

For the time being current Jalbum version does everyting I need so I clicked on "No" and as a result I got error message warning?! - see attached too.

So, now that the latest skin version is installed I do get error message every time I open all my Photobloger albums created to date?

Question: how do I downgrade the Photoblogger skin so that I will be able to update my Jalbum v 22.1 albums without problems?

btw I am wodering why I did not get a warning I need to update Jalbum first and then install the new skin version...? I may be wrong but perhaps this is a new way to more $$ ?

I would be happy if someone can advise on skin downgrade process.

Thank you,
Marko (*still a happy Jalbum user*)

Stack trace for jAlbum 22.1 using skin PhotoBlogger 3.27:

se.datadosen.util.ScriptException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: se.datadosen.util.Languages in onload.bsh at line number 3
at se.datadosen.util.ScriptException.of(ScriptException.java:59)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.processScript(AlbumBean.java:2578)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.executeScript(JAlbumFrame.java:1282)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JMainSettingsPanel$5$1.run(JMainSettingsPanel.java:313)
Caused by: javax.script.ScriptException: bsh.TargetError: Sourced file: inline evaluation of: ``// See plugins folder for implementation of this compiled UI new photoblogger . . . '' : Object constructor : at Line: 3 : in file: inline evaluation of: ``// See plugins folder for implementation of this compiled UI new photoblogger . . . '' : new photoblogger .Gui ( context )

Target exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: se/datadosen/util/Languages
in inline evaluation of: ``// See plugins folder for implementation of this compiled UI new photoblogger . . . '' at line number 3
at bsh.BshScriptEngine.evalSource(BshScriptEngine.java:90)
at bsh.BshScriptEngine.eval(BshScriptEngine.java:57)
at java.scripting/javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(Unknown Source)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.doProcessExpression(AlbumBean.java:2635)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.processExpression(AlbumBean.java:2620)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean.processScript(AlbumBean.java:2576)
... 2 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: se/datadosen/util/Languages
at photoblogger.Gui$2$2$1.<init>(Gui.java:1600)
at photoblogger.Gui$2$2.<init>(Gui.java:1598)
at photoblogger.Gui$2.<init>(Gui.java:1587)
at photoblogger.Gui.<init>(Gui.java:714)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at bsh.Reflect.constructObject(Reflect.java:574)
at bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.constructObject(BSHAllocationExpression.java:125)
at bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.objectAllocation(BSHAllocationExpression.java:114)
at bsh.BSHAllocationExpression.eval(BSHAllocationExpression.java:62)
at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:102)
at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(BSHPrimaryExpression.java:47)
at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:672)
at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:766)
at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Interpreter.java:755)
at bsh.BshScriptEngine.evalSource(BshScriptEngine.java:82)
... 7 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: se.datadosen.util.Languages
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
... 26 more

Edited by: markok on 26 Sep 2022, 23:19

Edited by: markok on 26 Sep 2022, 23:23

Edited by: markok on 26 Sep 2022, 23:23

Edited by: markok on 26 Sep 2022, 23:30

JeffTucker

Re: ****Solved! How to downgrade skin
Posted: 27 Sep 22, 00:06   in response to: markok in response to: markok

Glad you figured it out. From the skin page, you can fetch older versions - just scroll down a bit.

I agree, the process is reversed. When you're about to install a skin update, it should check your jAlbum version, then warn you: This version of the skin requires a newer version of jAlbum than the one you're using. Should I install it anyway?

Skin developers don't purposely push users into upgrading jAlbum. But to add new skin features, it is often necessary to make use of new capabilities in jAlbum.
markok

Posted: 27 Sep 22, 00:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I have just noticed jAlbum is now available as a subscription only...?
Well, this is a huge change... it looks like Jalbum developers started to follow $$ trend too...

Good luck!
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Sep 22, 00:29   in response to: markok in response to: markok

markok wrote:
I have just noticed jAlbum is now available as a subscription only...?

You can buy a license for a fixed fee, get free updates for one year, then use it forever.

Or you can renew your license every year, and keep getting updates.

There is no paid software on the planet that offers free updates forever.

Well, this is a huge change... it looks like Jalbum developers started to follow $$ trend too...

jAlbum has almost never been "in the black." If it continued to operate at a loss, it would be gone by now. Even with the newer licensing, it's down to three employees, and they've had to take pay cuts.
Laza

Posted: 28 Sep 22, 09:38   in response to: markok in response to: markok

The license remains as it was. It's just the new payment gateway that didn't allow presenting the license in the cart the way we wanted. We just wanted to offer automatic renewal for the Support and Upgrade plan at 50% discount, but Fastspring (the payment processor) could only handle this as a subscription, plus added the License once. We are working on a cart that is hosted on jAlbum's server, therefore we can fine-tune the checkout experience. Naturally, the renewal is optional (it is optional now too).
davidekholm

Posted: 29 Sep 22, 09:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

We don't intentionally try to sneak upgrades onto users, but I know you have been left with that feeling. Sorry for that. Earlier jAlbum versions lacked code to check whether a skin update would require a jAlbum update as well, but that has been addressed in the more recent versions.

As for "subscriptions": We now offer automated renewals at a discounted price (50% off), but nothing material has changed really. You can still use the version you currently use forever so this model isn't a classic subscription where the software ceases to work when the subscription expires. What you can optionally subscribe to is the right for support and updates past the 1 year that's included with your initial purchase.

We've done every effort to design a model that's fair for both parties. I hope you now see the material difference between our model and a plain subscription model.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums