This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 23 Sep 22, 23:22 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
JeffTucker

Re: Google Maps stopped working
Posted: 23 Mar 21, 14:35   in response to: dimitridekker in response to: dimitridekker

Click to reply to this thread Reply
dimitridekker wrote:
...actually your already paying them by having an account.

How? What's the value of having you create a user name? Your name and address are a matter of public record, and that's all you're giving them.

And by giving your creditcard they can have a look at your expensis.

This is nonsense. If I gave you my credit card number, how would you use it to learn about my spending habits? You give that number to every business from whom you purchase goods and services.

Finally the dutch government also starts to see it and advises government institutions as well as educational institutions not to use Google services anymore after having tried for half a year to limit their data greed.

Governments don't always make decisions for sound technical reasons. Remember, it's the EU that gave us the GDPR Notice, which pops up on every website you visit. Do you stop and carefully consider whether to let each site use cookies, and then leave the site if you're not sure they're using the information for a good purpose? No. Like everyone else, you just click through the warning, and go to the site. It's just screen clutter, and everyone ignores it. It's just one more thing to dismiss, like a popup ad. The EU needs to learn what "alarm fatigue" is. The only people who benefit from it are the lawyers who spend all day finding website owners to sue.

There may be good reasons not to use Google services - the Chrome browser, for example, has been referred to as "spyware" because it collects so much information. But let's not make up fake reasons.

I would be very happy if Lazo would find the time to provide an alternative.

What alternative? The only one that's as good as Google Maps is MapBox. And guess what. You have to create an account, provide a credit card, and use a key on your web pages to access the maps. The pricing model is a little different, but otherwise, it's just like Google Maps. Do you think that MapBox is not gathering information? Do you think they're providing this service for free? Do you think that MapBox is not a business, but is a roving commission to do good?

Everyone wants high quality services that are very expensive to provide. No one wants to pay for them.
Bussmicke

Posted: 15 May 22, 19:07   in response to: tonyblunt in response to: tonyblunt

I totally missed that Google faced this several years ago, I thought I had a map in the album still but not.
Looked at this a bit today and I did not understand any of this.
On Google's page I can not even find How to create an API key, Tried but there is still none, I do not even know Which API key to use.
Grateful for help. This is just annoying when you do not know how to do it and Google did not find it easy to understand this either.
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 May 22, 19:42   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

Their system is set up for professional app developers who may be managing dozens of different apps that use maps. Unfortunately, that means that for the hobbyist, it's ten times more complicated than it needs to be. :(

Their instructions:

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/get-api-key

If you don't already have a billing account with Google, you have to create one. Then you can follow the instructions to get an API key. Initially, don't restrict it to a specific domain - just get an unrestricted key. Once you're sure that's working, then you can restrict that key so that it can be used only on your domain.
Bussmicke

Posted: 15 May 22, 22:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

It works now but what will happends after the 90 days free trial? Will my API stop working?
And how do i find my API key when i need it again, now i can't find it.

Edited by: Bussmicke on 15 May 2022, 22:24
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 May 22, 22:45   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

Bussmicke wrote:
It works now but what will happends after the 90 days free trial? Will my API stop working?

No. I've been using the same API keys for over five years, and I have never had to pay Google a penny for them. You get $200 worth every month free of charge. Unless your site gets many, many thousands of visitors, you will never exceed that limit.

And how do i find my API key when i need it again, now i can't find it.

Copy and paste it into a text file somewhere on your PC. Save it in the Settings > Advanced > Notes tab in your default project. Bookmark the Google page:

https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/dashboard
Bussmicke

Posted: 16 May 22, 16:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

If I forgot to save the API key or lose it? How do I find my key then?
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 May 22, 16:58   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

You can login to your Google account and look at it.

Or you can login to your Google account and get another key - you can get as many as you like.

Or you can retrieve the lifeboat.zip file from any album project in which you used the key - it would be saved, along with all the other skin settings.

Or you can open any saved album project in which you used the key, and copy it from there.

Or you can look at the page code for any album you have online that uses the key - it's there, in plain text. It's not hidden or encrypted.

This isn't something you have to memorize.
Laza

Posted: 16 May 22, 19:46   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

Open an album with Google Maps integration, and copy the key from there. If there's no key, click the link next to the box, see the attachment.

Here's the link: https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials
Bussmicke

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 21:29   in response to: tonyblunt in response to: tonyblunt

It was working perfectly but it still does but looks strange.
Look at this link, at the bottom of the page Press karta and look att Google maps...

https://www.bussmicke.se/Bildgalleri/Bussar/Sverige/K/Keolis/4700/index.html#img=Keolis_4791_Fittja_Centrum_2017-06-25b.jpg
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 22:26   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

Attachment ss010416.png (1.9 MB)
Looks fine to me. See screenshot. What do you mean by "strange?"
Bussmicke

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 22:57   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Web browser Firefox couldn't read the map Porperly on my PC. On my phone it looks okay.

Edited by: Bussmicke on 23 Sep 2022, 22:59
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 23:05   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

Attachment ss010417.png (269.6 KB)
Attachment ss010418.png (3.7 KB)
Ah, yes, both Chrome and Firefox cough up the dreaded, "This page can't show Google maps correctly" message - screenshot. Brave manages to sneak past it.

The console message indicates what the problem is - screenshot.
Bussmicke

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 23:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I haven't change anything what i know one mounth ago before my holiday it was Working but after holiday it was this problem.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 Sep 22, 23:22   in response to: Bussmicke in response to: Bussmicke

I can't look at your Google account, but at least in theory, they need to have a current, valid credit card on file for your account. Maybe you gave them one, but it has expired.

(I somehow got grandfathered in, and they still haven't caught up with me. I've never given them a credit card. I keep waiting.... )
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums