This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19 Sep 22, 19:39 Last Post By: davidekholm
JeffTucker

MediaUtil from command line
Posted: 18 Sep 22, 23:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment mp3error.txt (4.7 KB)
Attachment MediaTest.jaskin (604 bytes)
Well, I think I've nailed down the winning entry for The Most Obscure Bug of the Year™. I defy anyone to come up with one less likely for a user to encounter. Then again, I did run into it in real life....

If a skin makes use of MediaUtil.getDuration() to grab the duration of an MP3, it works fine if you make the album from the application. But it crashes if you try to make the album from the command line - error dump attached. The MediaUtil class was introduced in jAlbum 28, and it appears that this little glitch has been there since the beginning.

To aid in testing, I've created my second award winner: The Smallest Skin in Captivity™. The MediaTest.jaskin is 604 bytes. That's not 604KB - it's 604 bytes. Install the skin, add an image and an MP3, make the album, and preview it. All it does is output the file name and, if it's an audio file, the duration. Then try to make the album from the command line.

Given the seriousness of this bug, I expect to see a fix by, oh, say, 2024. ;)

ETA: BTW, background make and the multi-maker have no problem with this. It really is just the command line.
davidekholm

Re: MediaUtil from command line
Posted: 19 Sep 22, 15:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Correct
Thanks for reporting. See if the latest beta fixes this!
JeffTucker

Posted: 19 Sep 22, 16:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Well, now, that was obviously just waaaaay too easy. And after I went through all those hours of coding to create a wonderful skin to test it! Maybe I should release it officially.

The joke here, of course, is that I believe I may have the only skin that makes use of this - Jupiter. So, to hit this error, the user would have to choose that skin, choose one of a couple of non-default settings, and then do the album build from the command line. I suspect this is a bug fix for one user, viz., me. And if I stop using batch files to update my demo albums, that leaves pretty much no one. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Sep 22, 17:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

but it worked now, right?
JeffTucker

Posted: 19 Sep 22, 17:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
but it worked now, right?

Oh, yes, both in my "real world" case (a Jupiter demo album that includes it), and in my little test case using the soon-to-be-world-famous MediaTest skin. If I didn't care about validation, I could make that skin even smaller. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Sep 22, 19:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums