This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10 Sep 22, 21:35 Last Post By: linuxrog Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

Upload Connection Refuses
Posted: 16 Feb 22, 20:16

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I commonly get Connection Refused errors when trying an upload. If I ping my host, no problem:
(obscured):~$ ping www.bronord.com
PING bronord.com (162.241.151.167) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from cs519.bluehost.com (162.241.151.167): icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=49.9 ms
64 bytes from cs519.bluehost.com (162.241.151.167): icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=51.9 ms
64 bytes from cs519.bluehost.com (162.241.151.167): icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=52.0 ms
64 bytes from cs519.bluehost.com (162.241.151.167): icmp_seq=4 ttl=50 time=50.5 ms
--- bronord.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 49.912/51.079/52.027/0.915 ms

The error message from jAlbum:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.Net.connect0(Native Method)
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/sun.nio.ch.NioSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.jcraft.jsch.Util$1.run(Util.java:362)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The problem is intermittent. Maybe a timing error? Does the uploader pause and retry?

/Roger
RobM

Re: Upload Connection Refuses
Posted: 16 Feb 22, 20:36   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Have you tried changing the connection type?
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 21:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, I've found that things are much more stable using SFTP.

Bluehost does support it, but their online help pages contain contradictory information about how to set it up, so best to ask.

(And put a note on your calendar for about three months before your hosting is due for renewal, and then run away from Bluehost. An EIG/Newfold company, notorious for lousy support. The trick is to avoid landing with yet another EIG/Newfold company, which despite having a different brand name, might actually be running on the same servers in the same data center!)
linuxrog

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 21:21   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

1. I do use SFTP to upload. When I do uploads for non-jAblum stuff, I use Filezilla. It, too, sometimes "stumbles" but pauses and, usually, connects.
2. I have seriously considered leaving b-host but it would be a monumental task to move emial accounts and a large web site. Just couldn't muster the "strength" / will to do so.
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 21:32   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

I've never gotten any connection failures with SFTP to my MDDHosting account, whether using the jAlbum uploader or FileZilla.

Bluehost is a cPanel host, so moving to a better host should be easy. In theory, at least, you wouldn't have to do any of it by hand. A lot of hosts will do it for you, with very little downtime. In short, you give them access to your Bluehost account, they create a full cPanel backup, copy it to their servers, and, in effect, unzip the sucker. Change the DNS, and you're back in business.

Any one of the top few in this list would do just fine. MDDHosting lost a few positions because of a multi-day outage back in 2018. It was a perfect storm, in which everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. An aberration, to be sure. As an old sysadmin, I could feel the cold sweat, even at a distance. ;)
linuxrog

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 22:01   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Jeff - interesting MDD and the rating site. Since you were a SysAdmin, you may know: did / does MDD transfer everything including email? I have several email addresses at b-host, not to mention a Nextcloud instance - I'd have to check to see if that's allowed at MDD. Of course I could look more deeply but if you have the answers on the tip of your brain, that would be nice.

/R
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 22:14   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

A cPanel backup includes everything - files, databases, email accounts, etc. Things only start getting messy when you're trying to move, e.g., from a cPanel host to a Plesk host, or to/from a host with a fully customized console (which is why those should be avoided).

I'm not familiar with NextCloud, but it appears to be a PHP server-side application, which shouldn't present any problems on any host (other than jalbum.net, that is, which doesn't support server-side processing because of the security problems it creates).

MDDHosting is great, but any of the top half-dozen on that list would be solid.
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Feb 22, 22:15   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

BTW, avoiding EIG isn't easy - they're everywhere.

https://www.reviewhell.com/blog/endurance-international-group-eig-hosting/
linuxrog

Posted: 10 Sep 22, 21:35   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

FIXED by moving to a new hosting service which was recommended by a jAlbum eggspert.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums