This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30 Aug 22, 17:49 Last Post By: JeffTucker
tm12345

Hidden albums
Posted: 26 Aug 22, 17:49

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all,
I was informed by users that my albums cannot be viewed anymore. When I open my account in jalbum.net I see my albums tagged as "versteckt" (hidden). I don't know how this could happen and - even worse - I don't have an Idea how to fix this.
I always had one single folder tree which was password protected but all other folders were open for everybody. Now it seems that all folders are protected by the same password but it's impossible to remove password protection. Starting at the website I'm told that the albums are published by the desktop tool and can be changed only by that tool. Using the tool, I tried to remove the password folder by folder but nothing happens (no message, no effect). The password remains and I'm going mad (nearly).
Does anyone has an idea what's going wrong here? I'm using jalbum for years now and never had trouble.
Thanks
Michael
JeffTucker

Re: Hidden albums
Posted: 26 Aug 22, 18:20   in response to: tm12345 in response to: tm12345

Sounds like this is the result of the move of jalbum.net hosting from physical servers in Stockholm to the AWS cloud. Anders will need to weigh in on the subject, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it's no longer possible to password-protect the root of an album, but not its folders (which frankly seems a little weird to me, to begin with).
RobM

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 18:23   in response to: tm12345 in response to: tm12345

On your albums page click on the down arrow icon, top right of each thumbnail. Pick edit, then change who can see this album. See https://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Website/Album#Who_can_see_this_album

You will need to change your publishing settings, see privacy https://jalbum.net/help/en/Publish_to_your_jalbum.net_account

Edited by: RobM on 26 Aug 2022, 17:24
Not sure if Jeff’s comment will prevent the above, not tried it
JeffTucker

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 18:40   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I have a sneaking suspicion that the password problem will remain. Those "folder albums" are shown on the profile page as hidden, but not as password-protected. But they nonetheless demand a password if you try to access one of them. That's why I think this is being caused by the very different OS environment of the AWS cloud hosting.
tm12345

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 19:36   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hi,
thanks a lot for your responses. With this knowledge I can change the visibilty ("hidden" is gone), but you're right, there is no lock symbol but a password is requested for opening. When I set a new password it takes effect and the lock is shown. But it is impossible to clear the password: when I check "Password" and leave the password textfield empty, the lock (icon) disappears, but the previously active (unwanted) password (let's say "XXXX") takes effect again - without the lock symbol.

The correct configuration (with one exception a completely flat hierarchie) I had before was (F = Folder); "open" means "no password":

F3.1 F3.2
F1 F2 F3 F4 ...
open open XXXX open ...

Erronous situation:

F3.1 F3.2
F1 F2 F3 F4 ...
XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX ...

F3 is the "single tree" with password protection. Perhaps my text was a bit misleading, but I hope it's clear now.
When I set a new password and re-open the configuration window, the textfield is initially filled with "***". After deleting the password (as described before) the field is initially empty. I don't know why the password of F3 takes effect for all folders. Seems to be a bug.
I'm looking foreward to your ideas!!!
Thanks, Michael
JeffTucker

Posted: 26 Aug 22, 21:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Anders will need to weigh in on the subject....

And Anders, when you see this, all of this user's fresh uploads are showing up on the "recent albums" page. That used to be limited to three per user per day, so it looks like that routine got broken somewhere along the line. Not a big deal, but related.
tm12345

Posted: 28 Aug 22, 18:08   in response to: tm12345 in response to: tm12345

Hi all,
I deleted the album http://tm12345.jalbum.net/2021-09-27_spessart/ and uploaded it again. And, beleave it or not: it's password protected (without lock icon). What the hell is wrong with my account?
It was really good if Anders would have a deeper look into the situation.
Thanks in advance.
Michael
AnCa

Posted: 29 Aug 22, 22:19   in response to: tm12345 in response to: tm12345

tm12345 wrote:
It was really good if Anders would have a deeper look into the situation.
When you have very specific account issues you'll get help quicker if you contact support@jalbum.net. You would have received a response on Friday. :)

July 22 you uploaded an album to the root of your account, with a password. This password will be used for all folders (albums) on your storage that hasn't have another password set.

Uploading an album to the root is a very bad idea. Especially since subfolders that aren't part of the root album (and thus all your other albums) might be deleted when you update the root album. And might be deleted if you delete this album in any way.

Please contact the support if you want help cleaning this up. I have to be a bit too personal to continue in the forum.
JeffTucker

Posted: 29 Aug 22, 22:34   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
When you have very specific account issues you'll get help quicker if you contact support@jalbum.net. You would have received a response on Friday. :)

I have your phone number (if it's still the one that ends with 77 39). Can I pester you at 3:00 am? ;)
tm12345

Posted: 30 Aug 22, 16:59   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hi, thanks. I've written to 'support@jalbum.net'. Let's see what happens ;)
Michael
AnCa

Posted: 30 Aug 22, 17:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
AnCa wrote:

I have your phone number (if it's still the one that ends with 77 39).

Yes, still the same. :)
Can I pester you at 3:00 am? ;)
I usually have the phone in silent mode, and isn't too keen on answering calls from "Unknowns", but if your number still ends with 547 I see it's you and can screen the call to my likening. :)
AnCa

Posted: 30 Aug 22, 17:19   in response to: tm12345 in response to: tm12345

tm12345 wrote:
Hi, thanks. I've written to 'support@jalbum.net'. Let's see what happens ;)
Yes, I've responded. :)
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Aug 22, 17:49   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
...I see it's you and can...

...immediately hit "Deny." That guy? Straight to voice mail.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums