"That button is not placed properly. Should be next to the Slideshow delay for example. Or labeled "Go full screen when starting slideshow". The page goes full screen only when you press "Start slideshow" or start by keyboard. This way the user interaction is already given, so the page is allowed to go full screen. Unfortunately when the page starts the slideshow there's no user interaction, so even if it tries, it can't go full screen.
I start to suspect there is some kind of "conflict" in the Projector settings, between the "Open in Full screen" checkbox and the "Automatic start" checkbox".
If I understand you correctly, the correct "Projector" behavior should be:
1) The "Automatic start" checkbox" should bypass the "turntable" animation and present the first slide without starting automatically the slide show.
2) The "Open in Full screen" checkbox triggs full screen only once the user has pressed the button "Start slideshow", following step 1 above.
My problem is only on my Android mobile, not on my PC (where everything works fine).
That's even more mysterious. I've tried both Chrome and Firefox on my Android phone, and in neither one can I get the address bar to reappear while I'm viewing the slide images. Once it's in fullscreen mode, any touching or swiping, in any direction, causes it to drop out of fullscreen and back to the regular lightbox. The address bar doesn't reappear unless I go back to the thumbnails.
"Once it's in fullscreen mode, any touching or swiping, in any direction, causes it to drop out of fullscreen and back to the regular lightbox".
Yes, that's correct.
Here is my usage sequence on my Android mobile, once I have launched the album:
1) Select one image folder.
2) The slide show start automatically (by passing the "turntable" animation").
3) The display is not in full screen (although display is set for that, thus truncated) and the slide show runs. See screenshot posted above.
4) Press e.g. the left arrow: the slide show stops and the left menu is displayed again.
5) Press the "Start slide show" button and everything is fine i.e. it is in full screen mode.
So to me, as the full screen is not supposed to be set automatically, it looks like there is some conflict in the "Projector" settings between the "Open in Full screen" checkbox and the "Automatic start" checkbox".
I think I'd go the other way - keep the "go fullscreen" on slideshow start, but remove the autostart on the slideshow.
I think most autostart things are going away - autostart music is virtually gone, and autostart videos work only sometimes. Let the site visitor decide whether he wants to see a timed slideshow or not - don't force him into it.
I agree with jGromit, we should keep the "go fullscreen" on slideshow start. This enables a "clean" slide show.
Regarding the "autostart" checkbox, we should remove this behavior that is in fact the issue of this bug report.
Instead I would keep this checkbox to keep the possibility to"bypass" the turntable animation, so that the users see right away the button "Start slide show" from the regular "projector" interface (this will avoid the user to make an additional click prior starting the slide show). Then of course, the check box should get another name e.g. "Direct access" or similar.