This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 16 May 22, 20:13 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PeterBennett

Print a PDF
Posted: 14 May 22, 19:47

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've a large album with approx 20,000 photos. It contains a few multipage PDFs. Protection is enabled on all photos. Is it possible to allow users to print the PDFs?

Thanks,

Peter B
MarkusD

Re: Print a PDF
Posted: 14 May 22, 21:07   in response to: PeterBennett in response to: PeterBennett

PeterBennett wrote:
I've a large album with approx 20,000 photos. It contains a few multipage PDFs. Protection is enabled on all photos. Is it possible to allow users to print the PDFs?
There is no real „protection“ of pictures. I think you are referring to the "right click protection". Every user who is able to use the right application can pick up everything from the browser cache, this means pictures, videos, PDFs, everything.

Why shouldn't a user be able to print a PDF? The user can download the PDF in the browser and can do everything with that PDF. If a PDF does not allow to print it, that is another story, but has nothing to do with jAlbum.

Cheers, Markus
JeffTucker

Posted: 14 May 22, 21:47   in response to: PeterBennett in response to: PeterBennett

Attachment ss010084.png (72.7 KB)
PeterBennett wrote:

The PDF viewer that Tiger uses has built-in icons for printing and downloading PDF's. These are present no matter what skin settings you use. See screenshot.
PeterBennett

Posted: 16 May 22, 18:17   in response to: PeterBennett in response to: PeterBennett

Dear MarkusD and JeffTucker,

Thank you. Apologies for my “imprecise and ambiguous language”.

Of course, there's no real protection on pictures. Although “right click protection” it enabled, it's no protection against a screen clip utility. What I meant was that the original hi-res images have not been transferred to the server and therefore cannot be copies. I made the assumption that "right-click protection" was interfering with downloading or printing a PDF. Of course I was wrong.

I’ve clarified the issue, with you help. The “print” or “save” button or controls in Safari on a Mac are somewhat camouflages. You have to move the pointer to the bottom centre of the browser window to see the controls, which has a download button. Why oh why do Apple do this?! Not exactly intuitive. In Chrome on a Mac the download button is where you’d expect it to be. At the top right hand side of the browser window. And Windows fans will no doubt find the controls where they are expected.

Gentlemen, thanks for you patience and indulgence.

PeterB
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 May 22, 18:53   in response to: PeterBennett in response to: PeterBennett

Just fired up my aging Macbook Air, and I see what you mean! In Safari, the download and print options on a PDF are totally hidden. And if you don't use them the first time you see them, lord help you trying to get them back! What an awful implementation - the Cretins of Cupertino™ have really outdone themselves this time.
RobM

Posted: 16 May 22, 20:06   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Just fired up my aging Macbook Air, and I see what you mean! In Safari, the download and print options on a PDF are totally hidden. And if you don't use them the first time you see them, lord help you trying to get them back! What an awful implementation - the Cretins of Cupertino™ have really outdone themselves this time.
It has been like this for years, I just got used to it and don't think about it now. There is another way though, right/control click on the pdf and select 'Open with Preview'.

On iOS you have to use the 'breakout/share' icon near the top of the screen, even more unfriendly.
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 May 22, 20:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
There is another way though, right/control click on the pdf and select 'Open with Preview'.

All while holding a lit sparkler and singing Land of Hope and Glory, right?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums